1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Retreat to Wilderness

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Feb 16, 2014.

  1. nkrishnap

    nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

    Linea 1.3
    Who all went - Myself, Karthik, Mohan, Rohit, Sujai and Sujai's better half

    How did we go - 2 Lineas and one Punto

    All along the way, we had been planning to get out of town at least for a weekend from the daily routines. The plan started and the map was scanned and the location was fixed. Jungle Retreat Wayanad it was. More info here. After the planning was all done, it was time to put it action.

    I hate the Bangalore - Mysore highway during day time irrespective of which day of the week it is. The group too had the same feeling. So thought of a plan, as to why not leave early and reach the forest check post by the time the sun rises.

    Day 1: 25th January 2014

    All set to start off @ 12.45 am to pick up Karthik.

    Mobile - 1.jpg

    Our meeting point was near the NICE road exit on the Mysore Road. Mohan and Rohit came along in Rohit's Linea and Sujai and Sujai's better half in his Punto 90 HP and myself and Karthik in my Linea met up at NICE road Junction at 2 am. We soon made good progress and for a change the irritating slow traffic was absent but the other irritant remained the huge humps.

    Sujai and I decided to refuel the cars at the BPCL COCO bunk between Chennapatna and Maddur. We too needed a small refuel and decided to treat ourselves with a hot cup of Cappuccino in the CCD a few kms after Maddur. With the quick stop over we continued towards Hunsur after deviating from the Mysore Highway near Srirangapatna. The road from here was bumpy and one very rough patch near the railway bridge. Soon we made decent progress and we reach the Nagarahole forest check post just around the day break. We made entries in the register and we were all set to go. Drove along slowly towards the Nagarahole forest office for our first safari.

    The cars waiting at the check-post



    The check post


    Misty morning



    Mobile - 2.jpg

    Mobile - 3.jpg


    Mobile - 6.jpg

    Mobile - 5.JPG

    A few pics from the safari



















    After the safari we headed out towards Kutta.


    Mobile - 7.jpg

    We stopped after the forest check-post near one of the coffee estates for the breakfast which Karthik had already packed the previous night. We were quite hungry and the packed breakfast was finished in no time. We continued towards the resort. Checked in and refreshed ourselves and we were treated to masala buttermilk. After lunch, I decided to relax since I had a bit of head ache and the others wandered around the farm enjoying the surroundings.

    I got up by 5 pm and we all decided sit around in the watch tower and leisurely chatting of almost everything under the sun. It was soon dinner time and the dinner was done and we hit the sack for a well deserved sleep. I was sleeping light and was quite alert through the night to be alert for any alarm calls but none for the night.

    To be contd….
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    9 people like this.
  2. nkrishnap

    nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

    Linea 1.3
    Day 2: 26th January 2014

    The previous night itself we had decided to drive around the forest roads starting from 5 am as it was quite a norm to spot animals in the mornings. We were all ready and the caretaker of the resort took us around in the jeep in the resort. After driving around for almost an hour, we requested him to drop us at the Tholpetty forest office so that we could do the morning safari.

    The safari was a disappointment as we spotted only a tusker, pug mark and a couple of peacocks and nothing else.



    We returned to the resort where the group decided to freshen themselves and prepared to check out after breakfast. During breakfast we heard the bamboo breaking sounds, so presumed these to be elephants. Me and Rohit went along to investigate, but we found none.

    Rohit returning back


    The cars parked in the shade


    The cottages


    The egret


    However, I decided to stay back for one more day and the group left after the breakfast.

    The parting shot.

    Mobile - 9.jpg

    Mobile - 10.jpg

    After the group left I decide to head back to the cottage and relax for a bit as the temperature was rising and it was getting hot. Had a light lunch and was relaxing in the balcony when the care taker came to the room and informed me that a herd of Gaur had come to the farm. I immediately picked up the camera and rushed to the watchtower.







    It was around 5 pm and the cool breeze was so refreshing to sit in the watchtower. The caretaker brought along a hot cup of black tea. I was around in the watchtower till 9 pm and went back to the dining hall for dinner. Headed back to the room and slept light again to be alert for the alarm calls. There were none again.

    Day 3: 27th January 2014

    Like the previous day, woke up around 4.30 am and was ready to go for a drive along the forest roads again in the jeep. Just a few mins in to the drive, spotted a herd of Gaur by the road side. The male Gaur definitely did not like us disturb him. We quickly moved out to explore the Begur road this time to see if we can spot anything. We did spot the Malabar squirrel, peacock, sambar deer and a few langur. Not many pics as it was still dark.


    Returned back to the resort and the other care taker informed that there were alarm calls near the farm. But since it was not too bright yet, we did not venture out into the forest. In the meanwhile refreshed myself and went in the direction of the direction of the alarm call. We spotted pug marks right near the deserted house near the farm. Hard luck, did not the spot the elusive tiger again. The ground was quite dry and the pug marks too disappeared.

    The deserted house


    The Pug mark


    Returned to the dining hall for a quick breakfast. Packed all the stuff and settled the bill and it was time to check out and head back to the concrete jungle.

    Parting shots


    Mobile - 8.jpg

    This time decided to drive along the Bavali - Damankatte route. Stopped over for a tender coconut and drove along leisurely back to Bangalore.

    A few pics during the return journey

    Mobile - 12.jpg

    Mobile - 13.jpg

    Mobile - 14.jpg

    On nearing the NICE road junction, decided to head to the 3M car care for a quick wash after checking with Pradeep if it would be possible. Returned home after the wash.

    A part of life reclaimed ‼‼‼

    Route - Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Elivala - Hunsur - Nagarahole - Kutta - Tholpetty - Begur - Katrikulam - Bavali - Damankatte - HD Kote hand post - Mysore- Bangalore

    Distance - 622 kms
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    10 people like this.
  3. ghodlur

    ghodlur Esperto


    Stunning pics, thanks for the same. I loved almost all the photos. Good to know that an impromptu drive helped in reclaiming a part of your life.
  4. Ravi

    Ravi Staff Member Janitor

    Grande Punto 1.3
    Great retreat, and nice pictures as well.

    What this alarm all about?? Chances of wild animals coming to resorts?
  5. ramjn

    ramjn Staff Member Janitor

    Linea 1.3
    Brilliant. Thirunelly forests has always been my favorite in the Wayanad region. Waiting to read your feedback on Jungle retreat resorts on the stay and food. :)
  6. kedarbendre

    kedarbendre Esperto

    MH 12
    Excellent photos Krishna and you had great time buddy.

    Why only Punto's number plate masked in most of the photos?
  7. nkrishnap

    nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

    Linea 1.3
    Thanks mate. This trip was planned quite a few times and but some how was not getting materialized. This time it did and we enjoyed quite a bit.

    Thanks Ravi. The alarm calls are generally given out by chittal/spotted dear, peacocks, Barking deer, langur etc, when they spot a wild cat leopard/tiger or dholes if they are on the move. They do this to alert the other animals. As you must be guessing now, the resort is actually in the forest and there have been instances of leopard, tiger, tuskers being spotted in the farm itself. So sleeping light and sort of being alert was to see if by chance any of these came to the farm, I had a chance of spotting them from the watch tower if I made it in time. The last visit, I was in the watch tower all night and a tusker gave company near the water hole almost till morning.:p

    Let me tell you this place is quite wild and one needs to experience it. As a matter of fact, a tribal lady was killed by the tusker of the Thirunelly temple range the previous day, a few 100 meters from the farm.

    The place has decent facilities and more so considering the place it is located it. The food was quite good, the stay was excellent, friendly staff. However, the earlier caretaker Pramod is no longer working here, he knew the forest like the back of his hand. Now a new bunch of guys are there who are equally hospitable and approachable for any help. In fact they went all the way to Mananthavady to get a few ingredients to prepare a kerala dish/snacks for us. :)

    Why the Punto's number is masked? Because the owner does not want to reveal it on any open forum. :)
    2 people like this.

Share This Page