1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A quick test drive of the LINEA 2012

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by vigneshram, Jan 6, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The best review,as always, is the one done by oneself only. After all, we all are unique , and one man's likes can be another's dislikes. And nothing beats first hand experience, especially when it comes to cars.

2012 Punto TD vehicles are available at a simple phone call. The dealers are eager to give test drives. Go ahead and book a TD. Also, let us know how it went.

Looking forward to your TD experience.

Cheers.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I was not specific to your query (apology), but indeed the information provided in Linea thread should be sufficient.
    However, as gurjinder said, good to have you test drive and let us all know what you find.
  3. nird_1976

nird_1976

Tirupati
    Oh then it's my fault. I was thinking on this forum if somebody replies with a quote, he is specifically answering that quote !!

anyways, I am replying to your second line and to gurjinderji's post in seperate post below

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Apologies to both the learned mods but I can not agree more than this with you. What I have been seeking (not asking anybody to do it for me) on this forum is a detailed test drive of Punto-2012 vis-à-vis Old punto. The same has been done for Linea-2012 under this thread.

The sole purpose of joining this community was to get acquainted with Punto detailing, Pros and Cons and seek clarifications from fiat-experts (i.e. extremely experienced users). Further thanks are due to TFI and internet with the help of whom I could learn that refreshed-Punto was down the line in December. Then I read in this forum as well as on other web-resources about New Punto-2012 launch in January 2012, which was finally fixed for Jan03, 2012.

Since then I have been waiting for some test drive by an expert user from TFI or any other forum. TFI being the fiat special, I would have loved to get first report from learned members here. You would agree with me that on such forums, generally, experts enlighten/educate the community with their experiences. In fact, if you remove these experts from any of such forums, the forum will die very soon. Experts matter a lot for any forum and value of their advice weight equally well.
    Now coming to my point, I regard many of TFI members as experts of FIAT cars. But, I expressed my surprise that so far no detailed test drive report could be posted here by Mods or well-versed person with fiat cars (who have driven it for thousands of KMs) .

I neither posses any fiat car not have exclusive driving experience of Punto-2011 and older versions. I have been a prospective fiat punto customer since Last September. As I told above also, my joining to this forum was to get educated for fiat cars so we take fiat product without a blind purchase. So hope you understand my stance now.

I once again urge to members of TFI (If they read this post) to give a detailed test drive of Punto-2012 Please please please at least now
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @nird_1976, It's not that we don't want to TD Punto. When we went for the TD, only Linea 2012 was available and there was no TD for Punto. Otherwise, we would have TD'ed both and given report for both the cars. If you could wait for 7-10 more days, We (I along other TFI'ians in Chennai) can come up with the TD report :).
    1 person likes this.
  5. nird_1976

nird_1976

Tirupati
    Dear ramjn, you post quoted above seems in contrast to what Gurjinder Ji has to say about a punto TD please
    he says

to whome I shall follow...anyways...I have been waiting since last one month to here all this stuuf ...and
    any fiat prospective or present customer required patient than anything else....I am being trained that way perfectly :up
    thanks for your support meanwhile...
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Don't worry too much, a detailed review will be up by this weekend.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Concorde, Chennai did not have TD for Punto on that day. They might have got it by this time. When you request for the TD thru Fiat, they will arrange you one in your city with any of the dealers.

Hope, I clarified you :).
  8. nird_1976

nird_1976

Tirupati
    Dear teky, I was searching for your authoritative review to be published last weekend. Can you please share me the link to that...I could not find it so far.
    Thanks in advance...
  9. @nird 1976. Hope this helps-

Went in to see the Punto 2012 on Friday. But by the time we reached the showroom it was 5:00 p.m and it was dark by then . As it was dark by then we were only allowed to drive inside the showroom compound, but the compound was big enough to get a feel of the car. Here are my observations-

1)The clutch is super light, that is evident enough just by pressing the clutch once but the clutch travel is still long. The gear box also seemed same with long throws and a bit rubbery but not a problem for me. The gear & the clutch combination makes quick shifting a bit difficult.

2)The G.C change isn't very evident in Punto unlike the Linea where it is evident. Wheel arches gap is more in Punto due to its 15 inch wheel than the Linea. But from standing position you won't be able see a big difference in the stance whereas in the Linea its G.C increase from 161 mm to 185 mm is more visible from standing position. The bonnet stands very high in the Linea .Commanding view from the driver's seat will be more applicable in the Linea than the Punto.

3) The suspension in the Punto is stiffened for sure, it is evident . I tried crossing speed breakers & driving over broken at around 30-40 kmph & the car the felt a bit stiff then the older one. Can't comment on high speed stability as my test drive was only inside the showroom compound.

4) The speakers sounded almost same to me maybe a bit improved but wasn't noticeable to me.
    5) NVH seemed to have been worked . Engine noise inside the cabin was almost same as the Punto 90 HP that i drove some time ago with 5000km on the ODO.The punto 2012 i drove had 102 km on the ODO.The first gear is still short and again i think gearing is almost same.

6) Interior quality seemed to have improved but still not top of class in the segment.The key hole area has been worked upon.
    1 person likes this.
  10. nird_1976

nird_1976

Tirupati