1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Quick Dash To The Lap of Nature

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Jan 5, 2014.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    With the year 2013 coming to an end, that the year 2014 was approaching fast, it was time to begin the new year in a different way. What we decided was to drive around to the lap of the nature, and we decided to drive to Nagarahole.

How did we go: Punto 90 HP BNW

Who all went: Myself and a fellow member Mohankv

It is always nice to be in the lap of nature, however it was difficult to get accommodation at this time of year, so it was a day's drive. Started from home at 2 am to ensure we reached the forest checkpost by the break of daylight. We stopped in between for a quick coffee break in CCD. Reached the forest gate at 6:30 am or so. Made an entry, took the customary pic at the entrace and drove along to reach the Nagarahole forest office.

Nagarahole Entrance.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

We decided to do the safari here, however they had to have 10 people at least to do a safari. Luckily another family of 4 was also keen to do the Safari, so we decided to pay up for 10 people even though we had only 6 people. The whole bus was ours. The Safari finally was underway after a lot of jugaad stuff to get the vehicle started. All sorts of things were running in the mind, what if the bus breaks down in the forest.

Not much of spottings apart from the spotted dear/Chital, Langur, Sambar deer, peacock, Malabar squirrel, a lone Crocodile and a few birds here and there. The fresh air in the forest itself is worth to do a safari.

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

At the Forest office parking

IMG_4119.jpg

The Safari Bus

Safari Bus.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

Elephants.jpg

Soon after the safari, we drove to Kutta to have breakfast. The we decided to head back via HD Kote, but not before taking a quick deviation to Tirunelly. One Reached back home by dusk a bit delayed due to the heavy traffic jam near Mekri circle.

The route map

Map.jpg

Will soon be heading back again to this place for a couple of days stay.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    9 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Nagarhole National park is always one of my favorite place. When ever I travel to Wayanad, I make sure that I take this route once.

How is the condition of the route from Kattikulam-HD Kote-Hunsur?
    2 people like this.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice photos Krishna. Good way to start a new year with mother nature. This reminds me of my visit to a local zoo called Chhatbir Zoo near Chandigarh when I was a small kid (3 years old IIRC). There is lion safari there and I remember a lion coming up to the van and hitting it hard with its paw. :)

I have wanted to visit the Jim Corbett National Park near Nainital in Uttarakhand for the past few years but unable to spare time for the travel.
    1 person likes this.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Krishna, Nice pics. Good that you people could spot quiet a few animals. Many would return disappointed. During, my last visit to Nagarhole, spotted a dancing peacock for the first time. Visit to Nagarhole and surrounding areas is always refreshing.

Happy 2014 to you and your family.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  5. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The road from Kattikulam to Machegowdanahalli is brilliant, from then on till about 5 kms to the handpost junction its the dreaded mud road, but definitely doable, since the road is levelled with rubble albeit too dusty for comfort. The 10 kms stretch should be ready in about 3 months seeing the work that was going on.

The road from Kutta to Kattikulam is bliss, but a word of caution for first timers in the route, there are too many blind curves and its a forest area. Its advisable to drive slow and enjoy the surroundings.

Nature and wilderness is something to experience quite often given the current conditions of our people working in the concrete jungles.

Spotting wildlife is plain luck and being at the right place at the right time. But nevertheless, experiencing the forest itself is worth.

Happy new year to you and your family too :)
  6. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Krishna,

Happy 2014 to you and your family.

Pics were very nice. Having spotted good amount of animals

Nagarhole is in my to do list.
  7. murthys

murthys

Bangalore
    Krishna,

Beautiful Photos of Wild life. Happy new year.

One of must see places in Karnataka.

-Murthy
  8. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Happy new year to you too.

Nagarahole does have bare basic options to stay. You will need to reach out to the forest department office in Mysore. Else there are quite a few options of homestay near Kutta to stay.

Happy new year to you too.

There are quite a few places in Karnataka which is serene. Do make it a point to visit and enjoy in the lap of nature.
  9. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Had missed uploading the pic of this fellow very close to the safari ticket counter :)

IMG_4115.jpg
    1 person likes this.