1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Poetry on Wheels - My Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by ramjn, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I don't have any complaints. Have done 16000 kms with it. I shortlisted Conti MC5 and ER60 and finally settled with ER60 but I have had enough reasons to do so. You could also consider MC5 as well.

2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well I too short listed the same two tires. Conti MC5 and ER60. Well I travel a lot with family onboard and am paranoid about getting stranded on roads either due to punctures or sidewall rupture. As per reviews and feedback MC5 has softer sidewalls and is more prone to cuts and bulges. BS tires usually are sturdier than competition. I had Apollo Accelare that came with the car. I never changed the tires and instead chose to have alloy and fatter tire on the spare one. I do 5 tire rotation and this set lasted 63 K kms. All this while with just 2 punctures. Call it luck but I was never stranded due to tires on road. Once I did close to 4K kms trip with one two inch bolt lodged in the tire. The whole trip I got a FE which was lesser than the overall average. Somehow checked with two tires shop and they could not find out the culprit. It was only after I took it to FASS I got to know of the bolt in the tire.

How is the handling and ride compared to original OEM tires (got to be better I guess)? Has the ride become hard as I found the Apollo to be good enough. Neither plush at the cost of handling nor was it very hard as well. It was not that good at lower speeds but as the speed increased I never had any issues. I have no issues with noise at all so that was never a criteria.

I do hope the overall feedback would be better than the OEM tires, but please do let me know if you have faced any issues. I am yet to change the tires and will do it in a couple of days. I can still choose some other tire. So your honest feedback would be great

3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @nibedk - If you are too skeptical about MC5, just go with ER60. As I said earlier I chose ER60 for a reason as I had planned 8000 kms trip from Chennai-Bhutan-Meghalaya-Chennai. I didn't want to risk with MC5. Had it only been South India, I would have definitely chosen MC5 over ER60.

Prior to ER60, I too had Acelere's in my car. I was fully happy with it. Comparing with Acelere, ER60 is little more harder. Handling is actually better with ER60 than Acelere. Overall, ER60 is definitely a better option than Apollo Acelere. No doubt about it. Even after going to most challenging roads in Bhutan, the tyre held well and I did not have any issue with regard to tyre in the whole trip. But also do remember that ER60 will be costlier than MC5. I got quote of Rs. 5300 for MC5 but ER60 costed Rs. 5650. Both for 195/60 R15.

Your other options are,
    Michelin P3ST - It is even more softer than MC5 and expensive as well.
    Yoko Earth 1 - Not getting great reviews from the users.
    MRF Perfinza - Too early to comment. But I will personally keep off from MRF, CEAT, and JK.

If you are not going to do lot of off road kind of stuff, you can still give MC5 a try. Or if you are too much worried, go with ER60. It definitely can't go wrong.

4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks @ramjn for the detailed reply. My car has its new shoes now - Conti MC5 195/60 R15. Lots of planning went into getting the ER60 and I had booked it with one of the big dealers here in HYD. ER60 is not easily available of shelf. In spite of giving them a call and starting well ahead of the closure time I could not make it to the shop on time. Blame the traffic. I had to make a trip to Bangalore the very next day and I could find one more tire shop which obviously didn't have ER60. I had no option but to go for MC5 which was anyway my second choice. Made the trip, had two breakdown one due to water pump failure(normal wear and tear, my car has now run close to 65 K) and other due to PS belt giving up and the subsequent PS pump failure. May be lady luck was looking after me that day. Two failures in a single day and both of them could have resulted in disaster. My keen ears detected both before it could result in any untoward incident.

Though its difficult to point out the alignment guys @ the tire shop had screwed up the alignment and I drove to Bangalore with a steering that was not center aligned. It was very late in the night and hence I could not even get it fixed properly. I drove for around 60-70 kms before reaching home beyond midnight. I didn't face any issues other than the steering not at the center aligned position.
    It was a very wrong decision that could have proved fatal. Besides the FASS guys too had taken out the belts for fixing the water pump. Extremely difficult to figure out where it all went wrong.

Lot of co-ordination and after two full days I could get it back on road (of course on loaned parts and the PS pump was not in stock locally in Bangalore). I need to get thoroughly checked at my service center for just to check if rest all things are fine and of course get the PS pump changed. All expenses till now were covered under warranty (I have 5 years warranty) and I am hoping the rest would as well get covered under warranty.

The feedback on MC5 - super silent, brilliant grip, I can feel the sidewall flexing, nervous braking (may be brakes need modulation, not sure if the tire guys tinkered with the setting).

I used to take corners at higher speed on my Accelare(just not getting the same confidence on MC5 may be due to weak braking) and the braking is pathetic(this needs to be checked though). And I can feel the tires flexing when going over rough roads. Not sure if they will be as sturdy as Apollo's.

I will still refrain from final feedback until my car goes through a thorough check up at FASS. If the braking issue is fixed it is a great tire though not something I would buy again. I would love to be proven wrong. Only thing I am worried about is now I am stuck with these tires for another 40-50 K kms.

One learning though which I had followed till now (all my servicing including alignment, balancing and rotation has been done at FASS only) except for one more incidence of alignment(where they has screwed up the tire screws by tightening it more required and I had to get a new set) is to never let incompetent folks handle the car. This is the first time in 65 K where I had any issues with the car.

I am never ever getting anything done outside. I should have cancelled the Bangalore trip and put on the BS. Not that they would have been better in every possible way. I have used BS earlier and they suit my needs better.

5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @nibedk : I also changed my Punto's shoes to MC5s albeit in R16. I am in full praise for them. The grip, handling, noise and braking everything has become great now after coming from the stock Alnacs.

6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Is it 205 profile? May be we should try 205/55 R15.

7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Mine is 195 55 R16, the stock profile that my car came with. 205 55 R16 will be sportier for sure

8. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Have driven using that profile. The ride and handling is better. Added if you are on new GC, you will love the upsize as it reduced the GC by a few MM. But the challenge is getting that profile. Very few manufacturers have that profile. Hence when it was due for replacement, I went back to stock.