1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Poetry on Wheels - My Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by ramjn, Apr 1, 2012.

1. FIAT_RIDE

FIAT_RIDE

Coimbatore
    Hi,
    The Light cuts were seem to be fixable only with the old one. Is Insurance were paying the full amount of the Lights?
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    My car went for the 5th (Paid) service at True Sai Motorss, Salem a week back. The odo stood at 55,500 when it went for the service. This was quite a big makeover service for my car as I have got the GC kit as well (from fellow TFI'ian subzero) to be installed. I have always hated the high GC and was against it. But, the current suspension showed some signs where it has become too soft and the car also started to sway a little. And the speed breaker incident at Courtallam also made me to think about the GC kit. I called the service manager (Mr. Sakthivel) and they were fine with installing the kit which I got from outside. I requested him to complete the work in a day and he promised me to do it.

I entered the service centre of True Sai motorss sharp at 9.15 am in the morning. The location of the service centre is awesome. Just next to the central bus station in Salem which is also the heart of the city. I was immediately attended and they noted down the work need to done. They suggested me to change the mounting pads as well and they would check the link rods too and if needed it will also be changed (and eventually they changed it :)). Also, they suggested for timing chain replacement at 60k and not now. They did the below mentioned work and the final bill amount was Rs. 20,000 odd.

- Installation of GC Kit
    - Mounting pads replaced
    - Link rods replaced
    - Engine oil
    - Fuel filter
    - Oil filter
    - Pollen filter
    - Air filter
    - Wheel alignment
    - Two fancy items from Wurth (A/C cleaning & Auto Lubrication) - could have avoided as it costed close to Rs. 1000
    - Brake disks cleaned
    - Brake pads replaced

Overall, the work done was good and I am completely satisfied with this FASS. Very friendly atmosphere and people are very passionate. Car was delivered to me by 6.30 pm after a brief test drive. I did not insist on TD but they insisted and asked me to check if everything is fine. Regarding the GC kit, I have got negative feeling till this moment. I am reserving my review and final decision on this for another week or so.

Completed 5 services and crossed 50k mark. How is the car now? Here are my observations.

- No rattles whatsover and is still driving the same when I bought in 2011.
    - Engine has matured well and it has only got better and better in my hands.
    - This car has made me not to think about any upgrades. Is any proper/convincing upgrade available for a Linea owner who don't like SUVs and is not ready to spend 15L or more?
    - I really don't feel that the car is underpowered or slow in pick-up. I would only say that the people who say this have not understood the Fiat MJD on how to handle it.

Some pictures at the Service centre at Salem.

WP_20140412_007.jpg

WP_20140412_005.jpg

WP_20140412_006.jpg

WP_20140412_008.jpg
    3 people like this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Seems in 20000, you got lots of things done :).

I beleive you will settle down soon with new GC.
    2 people like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, it is important for a moderator especially to be comfortable with the increased GC and ride quality and handling. ::D
    No wrong signals to future prospective upgraders. :p
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes. But, note that the cost of GC kit is not included. Only the labour. :)
  6. Vighnesh81

Vighnesh81 Novizio

Pune, MH
    Please mention your reviews on new GC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  8. Vighnesh81

Vighnesh81 Novizio

Pune, MH
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I regret my decision to try the 185 mm GC kit on my car. This may be the second regret after my bad episode with the MRO ZLO's. The existing suspension on my car showed signs of giving-up and decided to try out the higher GC suspension sets and bought the same from Subzero as he used that for only 3 weeks.

All my views are purely based on my experience after driving the car with the old 161mm suspension for 55,500 kms and 1000 kms on the new 185 mm GC.

Negatives as observed by me

- Bad ride quality (and bumpy sometimes) after experiencing the wonderful ride with the previous set of suspension.
    - Low speed ride quality even worse.
    - High speed cornering able to manage but the agility was missing.
    - Steering feedback a notch below too. Slow speed feedback was pathetic to me.
    - Strange but I felt the braking efficiency reduced despite having new set of brake pads.
    - Speed was very evident than before. I suspect the speed masking has reduced a bit too.
    - Maneuvering in the traffic became little difficult as the car stood higher and I couldn't easily make out the distance between other vehicle and my car. It was especially became too difficult with the two wheelers as I can't see the two wheeler at all and only the person driving it.
    - Last but not the least, the look of the car took a severe beating.

Positives as observed by me

- Ability to handle bad roads or huge humps without scraping. After the upgrade I drove on the route from Uttangarai-Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam (120 kms). This is one of the worst road in TN and the car handled this stretch without any hit. Absolute peace of mind.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any other positives apart from the one listed above. For this reason alone I may have to lose all other characteristics of the car if were I were to stick with this SUV suspension. To put it short, the character of Linea as I always describe as 'Feeling Connected' is completely gone. I never had any severe issues with the old suspension setup of Linea. To me, that is really a gem.

What next?

Handling bad roads is manageable rather than losing the notion of 'Feeling Connected'.

I called Ramkay Fiat on Friday and enquired whether they have the old suspension structs in stock and that is made by Cofap (or Magnetti Mareli). They confirmed me the availability and booked a slot for my car for Saturday morning.

Entered Ramkay on Saturday morning sharply at 8.55 am and mine was the first car to enter the workshop that day. I parked and when I came out of my car, I already saw Mr. Magesh ready with the job card. Formalities completed and the car was ready by 1 AM. They took some time for billing and I came out at 2.30pm but happily. The old setup suspension has now become slightly stiffer than before without compromising on the ride quality. The front struts were made in Poland and the rear ones are made in Brazil.

I also need to mention here. Mine is the first Linea and second Fiat (After DRIV3R's Punto) to undergo GC reduction at Ramkay Fiat, Chennai. :)

Front struts made in Poland
    WP_20140426_012.jpg

Old and New, side by side
    WP_20140426_013.jpg

Reclaimed my Linea. The car is now back to its glory. :)

WP_20140426_035.jpg
    8 people like this.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Wow, should have waited few more k's before giving up. It's just a matter of getting used to.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.