1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Poetry on Wheels - My Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by ramjn, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Wayanad Trip - A brief report

Last weekend, I drove to Wayanad along with pemmasg in 90HP Punto, Sathya_sc and his friend Sriram in XUV500. We all started from Chennai by 5.30pm on Friday. The plan was to reach Bangalore by 11pm and halt there. The route planned was Chennai-Ranipet-Chittoor-Mulbagal-Kolar-Bangalore-Kanakapura-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Tholpatty-Kattikulam. We had our early dinner at Hotel Sakthi Saravana just after the Sriperumbuthur. We continued our drive and after Chittoor it started to rain very heavily coupled with very poor visibility. We slowed down a lot and when we reached Bangalore it was 12am. We reached our hotel Woodbridge on the Bannerghatta Road by 12.30 and we retired. After a good 5 hours sleep, we started our drive at 7.30am to Mysore. We broke at Mysore at Hotel Ramani's for the breakfast. We then took the under construction ring road of Mysore to hit the Hunsur Road. The roads were very narrow after Hunsur towards the Nagarhole. But, the forests were very exotic. We encountered a speed breaker every 0.5km till we crossed the Nagarhole National Park. Once we crossed the Karnataka border, the roads became excellent on the Kerala side. We finally reached our resort 'Pepper Green' at Kattikulam at 1.30pm. The last 100 mts to reach the resort did not have any road at all. Though it was not steep, it was again offroading for my Linea :). We ordered our lunch, we took some rest and we were all chatting till the dinner time.

The next two days (Sunday and Monday), we covered places like Banasurasagar dam, Iruppu falls, Thirunelli temple. We were able to bath at Iruppu falls even though the flow of water was very heavy. I became a victim of leech byte here. On Sunday, while we were returning to the resort, the last 100 mts appeared to be full of slush after the rains, and my Linea completely lost the traction and it resulted in wheel spin. My Linea hesitated to move further. Sathya informed the resort guys and they along with another Tempo Traveller guy came to my rescue. The Tempo Traveller guy offered to take the wheels from me. I declined profusely and thanked him. After some effort, my Linea finally came back to the track and I reached the resort. On Monday night, we decided to do a night safari on the Thirunelli forest area in our cars. The whole forest is dominated by Elephants it seems. We spotted at least 8 elephants on the road. An angry elephant even tried to chase us while we fled from the area in full throttle. We also spotted herd of deers.

For the return journey, we decided to do different route. Kattikulam-Pulpally-Sultan Bathery-Gundlupet-Chamrajanagar-Kollegal-Kanakpura-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Chennai. The roads were good to excellent most of the time. It was 11.00pm when I finally reached my home in Chennai.

My Linea returned me an FE of 18.1 for the onward and 20.1 for the return drive.

We spotted deers at the Nagarhole National Park
    IMG_3623.jpg

The trip team :)
    IMG_3632.jpg

The Nagarhole National Park
    IMG_3636.jpg

My dirty Linea after encountering lots of rain
    IMG_3639.jpg

My daughter enjoying her time :)
    IMG_3646.jpg

Banasura dam
    IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

Flowers at the dam
    IMG_3830.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    13 people like this.
  2. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Wow...nice trip..

I had been to same places few weeks back..

Banasura was almost empty...but still looked beautiful..now its seems to be half full...did u do speed boat?

Nagarahole is one of the best preserved National parks in India..with highest tiger density....and tonnes of elephants...good u took this road..

Strange ...u avoided B;lore Mysore highway...I know its heavy traffic..but chamrajnagar..kollegal..B'lore is less better..

Anyways good to know u enjoyed the trip.!!

How did XUV fare?
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    We did not take the speed boat there as the wait time specified was more than an hour. We deliberately avoided the Bangalore-Mysore highway. I have driven on this and was very painful with loads of speed breakers and traffic. The Kanakapura route is excellent eventhough it is 2 lane.

To comment about XUV, Sathya was consistently doing 140+ during onward. I overtook him once at the Mulbagal-Bangalore stretch at a curve. I was doing 160+ at that time. On straight line, I doubt if any of our cars would be able to keep pace with XUV. May be a possibility with the T-Jet.
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    More Treat to Eyes

Now, sharing some 'real' photographs taken by Sriram Guruswamy in his Nikon D700. :)

Two men (me and Gopi) walking into the woods (Shot at the Thirunelly Forest)
    0.jpg

My Drive
    1.jpg

Gopi's Drive
    2.jpg

Sathya's Cheetah
    3.jpg

At the Nagarhole National Park
    4.jpg

Kattikulam Forest area
    5.jpg

Spotted at the Nagarhole National Park
    6.jpg

Alone on the Road
    7.jpg

Spotted at the Thirunelly Forest
    8.jpg

Shot at the Banasura Dam
    9.jpg

The Team in Celebration
    10.jpg
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow, the last picture set is so nice to see. Brilliant!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. Amazing pictures ramjn.
  7. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    We found the road is very less traffic and most importantly "No Speed Breakers" so it made an uninterrupted drive and we enjoyed it.

-Gopi
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Amazing pictures. Gurusawmi is born for photography. What a excellent shots. I think you have experienced the forests in its peak. Missing the Tjet.

ram, Your linia was not eligible for a entry to the 'cars with dust' thread. Now she can reserve a chair there:)
    1 person likes this.
  9. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Yes..I absolutely loved those roads last month in Thirunelly & Kattikulam...I recall each curve seeing ur photos..

The roads in Nagarahole..have humps to avoid speeding /negligent vehicles...the diversity of animals is high in Nagarahole & were prone to deaths..one way of conservation...
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is the road (???) where my Linea got stuck at 8pm after heavy rains. It had full of slush at that time.

SRI_9211.jpg
    5 people like this.