1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Poetry on Wheels - My Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by ramjn, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    "It doesn't take a reason to Love someone, but it does to like someone.
    You don't Love someone because you want to, you Love someone because you are destined too.
    It's because you fall in Love with them, that you then try to find a reason, but you always come up with the answer, No reason!"

- Anonymous

Before I start, let me clarify that I am not intending to provide a Test Drive report or assess the technicals about the car. It has been done to death and here I will be sharing my experience with the car. While I am writing this text, I have already completed 17,557 Kms on my Linea. I was truly inspired by J.Ravi Sir for regularly updating his ownership thread and his passion towards his car and travel. This is another reason for starting this thread and I am planning to update this thread regularly.

Why a Fiat again?

I never thought that I would again buy a Fiat after owning a Palio 1.2 for 1.5 years in 2005-2006. Quarrels, breakups and tears are part and parcel of any Love. My breakup with Fiat was indeed a long one for almost 4 years. I was driving a Hyundai Getz 1.3 in this period. No complaints with this car either. It served well for my purpose. For me, the unhappy episode was the Hyundai Service during my ownership of Getz. I sold the car in 2010 and left the country for a while. My search for a Diesel car began in Dec'2010. Can I forget Fiat again? No is the answer and I got a Fiat Punto on January 2011.

Punto Ownership thread - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3...n-t-90-fiat-grande-punto-90-hp.html#post37684

It was hot hot and HOT. Why do I want to sell the car in just 6 months with 15k on Odo? We felt the need of a bigger car with relatively bigger boot for all our long travel. I could have retained it for another 2-3 years before switching over to a Sedan. But, I was madly fallen in Love with the Linea as I got a good deal for the Punto from a Team-BHP'ian. It is in safe hands now. The deal I got for Linea was also a killer deal. Overall I was happy about the swap, eventhough I lost some grands.

Why Linea? Well, the starting text of this thread is the answer. :D.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    7 people like this.
  2. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Booking and Buying Experience

Well, I wanted to forget this chapter as this was the most painful part. Let this thread explain the rest.

After all these drama, finally took the delivery of the beauty on 17th September 2011. Once I got the delivery of this beauty and started to drive, it brought in all smiles on my face. Thank God. I didn't take any hasty decision of getting some other car.

Mods or Accessories added

Sunfilm - I did 3M CR70 for the windshield and CS20 for the sides on the same day after taking delivery of the car. This was done at the Balaji Agencies, Chennai.

Under Chassis Coating - Did the 3M under chassis coating with 5 year Warranty with Balaji Agencies, Chennai.

ICE - I just carried over the ICE setup done on my earlier Punto to Linea. To summarize, Focal Access Components at front, MTX three way co-axials at the rear. Focal 4 channel Amp and MB-Quart 12" Shallow Sub. This was done at the Power Zone, Royapettah, Chennai.

Leather Seats - My car got a premium leather upholstery from Karlsson, Bangalore. I opted for the 1.5mm Scandinavian Leather.

3M car waxing - I did the Paint protection for new cars from 3M Car Care at Nungambakkam, Chennai. It was a 4 step process. Foam Wash, Sanding, Polishing and finally Waxing (synthetic).

Cabin foot light - This is a DIY. Thanks to Viny (TFI'ian).

Headlight Upgrade - I replaced the stock bulbs with the Osram Night Breaker+. All the bulbs were replaced. Low Beam (H7), High beam (H1) and the Fog (H1). The lights are better than the stock but, it becomes horrible in rainy conditions. Not very happy about this upgrade.
    6 people like this.
  3. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Ownership Experience till now

As I told earlier, I am writing this after completing 17,557 Kms on my Linea. My personal feedback about the car - Awesome. I need not tell again on the Handling, Ride quality, Steering feedback, and so on. Oh yeh. How about the performance? Well, it is meeting my expectations and I never felt it to be underpowered. After having owned a 90HP, I thought this car would be slightly sluggish than the Punto 90 given the higher kerb weight (1210 Kgs) of Linea. To my surprise, Linea MJD is faster than GP 90. The NVH is also much much better than the GP 90. The first 2 gears will be very painful in GP, where as with Linea I am fine from 2nd gear onwards. If I continuously accelerate in 2nd gear, I feel the turbo kick in 2 stages. One at 1500 RPM (Its very linear though) and another at 2000 RPM. The maximum speed I have achieved so far with this car is 180 KMPH. I am of the opinion that my car can do 0-100 in 12-13 seconds. I am serious about it.

On the fuel consumption, it is returning me 15-16 with 100% AC (ACC set at 24"C) in Chennai City traffic. On the highway run if driven in the range of 90-110 kmph, it returns 20+. No complaints on fuel economy.

What about family's take? They are very happy about the car. When I first did the highway drive (680 Kms, Chennai-Guruvayoor) in this car, my daughter was 6 months old and she had a comfortable sleep in her infant seat. No complaints from my parents as well. The only complaint from my father is that I have started driving fast after buying this car (we once reached Kanyakumari-Chennai in 8hrs covering 700+Kms :D).

01 Arrival 2.jpg

02 Maha 1.JPG

02 Maha 2.jpg

04 MNR Route 1.jpg

Issues till date

- Soon after doing under chassis coating from 3M, I heard some strange noise from the front when ever I braked. It was like tak tak sound. I headed straight to the TAFE service in Chennai. They immediately inspected my car and told me that there is some issue with the front suspension. I assumed that the issue may be with the brakes. They worked on my car immediately and the problem was rectified. I was told that there was variation is torque setting with the suspension. I really had no clue. The issue is resolved and it never recurred.

- I had issue with the driver side power window. When I intend to close it, the window glass pops out. I had to hold it well with my hands and then it will go up. I took the car to VST Motors, Chennai and they told the Running Channel needs to be replaced and it needs to be ordered as well. They got the part in a week and this issue was also resolved.

- Once when in my home town Salem, I suddenly realized that the left side rear door was not at all opening from inside. There was no child lock too. I immediately took the car to "The True Sai Works" (Tata-Fiat Service in Salem). The time was around 4.30PM in the evening. I was doubtful whether they would attend my car. Fortunately, they accepted the car and fixed the issue in 30 minutes.

- Got a severe dent at the right side rear door after being hit by a truck. It was completely my fault. I opted for the insurance claim and my car was lying at the TAFE service for 5 days. After all the work, they delivered the car to me at my office :).

- Apart from all these, there were minor niggles like Blue&Me not functioning properly. It got rectified after the ECU reset (Microsoft solution?). Odo started blinking for a while and it got rectified itself. when we were in Kodai, the MID display was delaying a bit which got rectified once we came down hill.
    5 people like this.
  4. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Service Experience

First Free Service
    - My car's first free service (5000 Kms) was done at the TAFE Reach Service, Chennai. They took my car at 9.45 AM and the car was delivered to me at 6 PM in the evening. According to the SA, the following works were done on my car in this service.
    Oil topups
    General Checks
    Complete car wash
    The total bill for this service was Rs. 80. This was charged for the windshield fluid they used. The unused remaining fluid was returned back to me.
    My overall rating for this service 8/10.

1st Service.jpg

Second Free Service
    - The second free service (15K kms) was also done at the TAFE Reach Service, Chennai. They took 2 days to complete the work. According to the SA, following were done.
    Engine oil changed
    Air filter, Oil filter, Fuel filter replaced
    Wheel alignment (free) and wheel balancing done (They provided the alignment report as well)
    The total bill for this service was Rs. 6000. The returned the old filters to me. My overall rating for this service 7/10. The bill wrongly says that its third service.

2nd Service.jpg

Note:- The car reminded me about the service once I touched the 14900 kms mark.

Service MID.jpg
    3 people like this.
  5. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Highway Drives

- My first highway drive happened after 2 weeks of taking delivery of the car. The trip was Chennai-Guruvayoor-Trivandrum-Kanyakumari-Chennai. It was a 5 day trip. I started from Chennai at 4.30PM and reached Guruvayoor by 3.45 AM. Took the route, Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi-Vadakencheri-Guruvayoor. Overall driving experience was good and the car's FE was 17.2. We were 4 adults and a kid with boot full of luggage. Being a new car, I didn't revv her too hard. I remained below 3000 RPM. The drive from Guruvayoor to Trivandrum was not so pleasant thanks to the heavy traffic. The same applies for the drive from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari as well. On the final day, drove from Kanyakumari to Chennai and I must say it was a breeze. I couldn't control myself and surpassed 3000RPM range multiple times. The FE was 16.1. We reached Chennai in flat 8 hours.

Some pictures from the drive - snaps taken at Ponmudi near Trivandrum

My Linea at the southern most tip of India at Kanyakumari.

Trip data as shown on the MID

5 people like this.
  6. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    - The second drive was to Kotagiri-Ooty-Masinagudi. This trip was done along with 4 other friends (All are TFF'ians - Sathya_sc, linealover, Dr.Senthil and teky :)). Through out the drive, we have been enjoying by seeing the adrenaline drive from Sathya_sc with his T-Jet. This trip was the actual test for my MJD in Ghat sections (drive at Ponmudi Ghats was very minimal to test). Those who have done the Ooty-Masinagudi route will know what I am seeing. It is indeed the steepest ghat road I have ever encountered so far. And yes, my MJD performed impeccably well on ghats. I was on 2nd gear while doing down hill and I rarely braked. It was indeed a delight to drive on the ghat roads.

Link to further report - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/linea-1-4...-new-white-fiat-linea-t-jet-18.html#post73088

We gathered just before leaving from Chennai - Its my MJD

linealover's MJD

Sathya_sc's Jet

Our beauties lined up at the resort at Kotagiri

Our cars parked at the highest peak of Nilgiris - Doddapetta

And, here are the drivers of the trip
    7 people like this.
  7. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    - The next drive was to Kodaikanal during the peak winter during end of December. This trip was joined with me by another TFI'ian pemmasg with FTA Punto 90HP. The night time temperature dropped to 4"C. I even spotted a thin layer of ice formed on my car (Pictures will follow). As usual the drive was smooth till Bathlagundu. The ghat section started from there and had a tireful drive till Kodaikanal because of very bad road. The entire ghat road was damaged after the rains that struck in October and November. The resort that we stayed was good. Food being average. We covered Poomparai and Mannavanur for a day and Berijam Lake on another day. The road leading to Mannavanur was the most horrendous time I had on the whole trip. The was no road at all. My MJD scapped multiple times but for the return journey, I was prepared well and didn't even had a single hit :). Well, it took 1 hour and 45 minutes for the stretch of 15 kms. The drive to Berijam was super good. It was all through the forests and was really enjoyable. Now, the time for pictures.

At Mannavanur - I saw another Fiat (KA registered Palio MJD) there.
    03 MNR 1.jpg

Mannavanur Lake
    03 MNR 2.jpg

03 MNR 3.jpg

03 MNR 4.jpg

03 MNR 5.jpg

The Terrains on way to Mannavanur
    04 MNR Route 2.jpg

The Roads (???) leading to Mannavanur
    04 MNR Route 4.jpg

04 MNR Route 5.jpg

On way back to kodaikanal from the Mannavanur Lake
    04 MNR Route 6.JPG

At the Berijam Lake
    05 BJM 3.jpg

05 BJM 15.jpg

Few snaps of the Terrains
    06 PR 1.jpg

06 PR 2.jpg

Thin Layer of Ice formed on my car after the overnight temperature of 3 degrees celcius
    07 ICE 1.jpg

07 ICE 2.jpg

07 ICE 4.jpg
    6 people like this.
  8. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    - My recent drive with my MJD was to the Coorg. TFI'ian pemmasg also joined with me. We had a fantastic drive from Chennai till Coorg. The roads were very good except for a short duration at the Mysore ring road. It was bad but still my MJD was gliding over while I saw a fluidic Verna struggling in that surface. We stayed at the Silver Brook estates. The place was awesome. I spotted a white Figo TDCI with T-BHP stickers at the Estate :). We completely rested there without much of sight seeing activity. For the return trip, I tried a different route, Coorg-Kushalnagara-Ramanathapura-Channarayapatna-Bangalore-Kolar-Chittoor-Chennai. I did a mistake by selecting this route. The stretch from Kushalnagara-Ramanathapura was horrible. Maximum speed I did was 30KMPH. It was breeze after Channarayapatna. On the whole, my MJD returned an FE of 18.4. For the return trip alone, FE was 19.2. I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the car.

My MJD resting at the Estate.

Some snaps of the Silver brook Estate

The road leading to the Estate

Saw this Analog Instrument which shows the room temperature at the Estate

My Daughter enjoying her time

My MJD during the Camp fire
    camp fire.jpg

Some random snaps

The FE for the return trip

The overall FE

4 people like this.
  9. ramjn

Linea 1.3

The Story and Journey of my MJD will continue...
    6 people like this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I enjoyed your great ownership-cum-travelogue thread, Ramesh.:) Your Linea has brought out the poet in you. You will drive more in your Linea than ever before. I wish you many more lakhs of km of joyful journey that never ends.
    1 person likes this.