1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Noob Fiatian from Mumbai

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by abk1980, Feb 27, 2011.

1. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Hi Friends,

This is Abhishek from Mumbai, a young 30ish banker by profession. I booked a Bronzo Scuro T-Jet Plus last night (@Bharati Automobiles, Jogeshwari, Mumbai) after spending last 3 months comparing and researching between City & TJet. Vento lost out because I think it simply cant seat 3 ppl at the back, and the rear seat is way too low for tall ppl.
    I have been told to expect delivery after 2 weeks because this is a new color and the dealer only had the display piece available (am not buying that piece for sure), though the car would still most likely be a January manufacture. :confused

This would be the first Fiat in the family after my grandfather's Padmini. The decision was made difficult by my father's and father-in-law's advice to forget the "exotic" stuff and go for City. My father has had a bad experience in early 2000s when he recommended Fiat to quite a few of his retiring colleagues, mostly in the North Western region (Delhi - Chandigarh), and they had a miserable time after listening to him. Well, my father even went for the test drive in Delhi and felt that there is no class in TJet compared to City. We (wify and me) however decided it is the other way round after visiting the Honda showroom right before going to the Fiat one for booking the car.

Actually I should give more credit to my wife for this purchase. Because in-between I was consumed by doubts about Fiat and was pushing her for City VMT even though my heart always went for Tjet. I still remember my test drive on the somewhat bumpy road in Andheri W where I purposely sped over all the bumps in the road which I avoid in my Esteem and in the City (test drive). And we did not feel a thing! And I loved the sound of the turbo! The City, on the other hand, fell from its pedestal the moment it hit its underside on the very first speed breaker with 3 on board on the same road. My heart was sold for the Tjet. The mind took its time with countless hours spent on the net researching on various forums.

Our comparison sheet between City and TJet:
    • Exteriors: TJet wins hands down. Looks better and bigger. (My wife doesn't like the front view, but I love it)[/*:m:2q886s4p]
    • Interiors: Wife preferred TJet for the overall color scheme, comfort, and front console. I was not so sure. I think the central console in front is a bit wide, so my left leg hits/leans on it if I try to spread my legs, compared to both City and Esteem (my present car). Also, City somehow feels more spacious esp. in front. Overall did not think there was much to choose between the front seats. We preferred Linea's wider rear seats with an erect back support and head rest. Headroom was a bit of a concern - I am 6' and my hair just about touches the roof.[/*:m:2q886s4p]
    • Driving: While City is a pleasure to revv on straight and good roads, I think TJet's turbo torque is a shade better. On any other type of road, there is simply no comparison - TJet wins hands down. You hardly feel the bumps on the road, unlike the City or the Marutis. Then there was the concern about City hitting its underside on the many (non-standard) speed breakers dotting Mumbai. This was nearly a deal breaker for me as far as City was concerned. On the other hand, I hate the indicator and head lamp switch on the left rather than right in Fiat. It means I cannot simultaneously give an indicator and change gears when turning. I feel this is something that should be simple to modify and Fiat should do so. If not for the wow factor of the TJet, and the GC issue in the City, this could have been a deal breaker for me as I am an aggressive driver, having learnt my driving in Delhi.[/*:m:2q886s4p]
    • Safety: Cant compare the City with the "Tijori on wheels" (to borrow the term used for the TJet in a review on another website). The stopping ability is simply stunning! I will have to get used to the breaking on the TJet after my Esteem.[/*:m:2q886s4p]
    • Features: Once again TJet wins hands down, no questions[/*:m:2q886s4p]
    • "Other" factors: Long term ASS is a big concern in Fiat despite the recent improvements and management's focus on this, though I guess cost should be less.[/*:m:2q886s4p]

Buying Experience till now has been good. I first registered on the Fiat website for a test drive. There was a couple of days delay before I received a call from Bharati Auto. The sales person (Ravi) came home with the car. We went for a reasonably longish test drive during which most of our questions regarding the car were answered. He seemed quite knowledgeable about the car and was eager to help. He followed every every week or 2 weeks to ask for our status and did not pester us too much. I also visited Concorde motors in Prabhadevi once, and the experience there was good as well. I would say Concorde occupies a larger area and therefore looks more neat, open and uncluttered. It also compares well as far as first impression goes with Honda/VW/Skoda Showrooms around it. Bharati is smaller in area and doesn't look that open. It can do a bit to look a little more uncluttered, like the Honda showroom in Andheri. Booking experience was good. We were initially buying a Tuscan Wine but changed to a Bronzo Scuro at the last moment after the sales manager (Akshay) displayed both cars to us out in the sun.

I think I got a decent deal. I'll pay 10.35lacs OTR Mumbai after corporate discount of 8k. I am taking most of the Fiat supplied Linea/TJet accessories (dealer is giving these free): TJet Door Sil Plate, TJet Mats (floor and boot), Car Cover, Mud Flaps, Reverse Parking Sensor. He is also providing PU coating for the engine, though I don't have much idea about that. That totals to about 10k worth accessories free.
    The dealer offered Garware's cheapest Sun Film for free which I declined. Will probably go for Garware IceCool Elite or 3M / Llumar. I got a quote of 23k for VCool (VCool70 and Golddust) which I thought was quite high for a Sun-Film - I don't want to pay that much. I don't have an idea yet how much the others will cost.

Regarding Insurance, the standard option is Future Generalli (@34.811k). But I have the impression that the PSU insurers are better / more reliable, esp. in natural calamities like floods in Mumbai. So, I am thinking of going for New India / Oriental. What would you all recommend? :anyone

Cheers
  2. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Hey ABK1980, Welcome to TFI and Congrats for the Jet. Its one helluva car. You will defo njoy it. Great Initial write up and good comparisons as well . Looks like uve got a good deal with the accessories as well.

Dnt worry about the ASS. Tjet Customers are getting priority service, so it should not be a problem, Fingers crossed. So forget bout the worries and njoy the car. I can guarantee, once you drive it, You will forget evrythin else.

About the VKOOL, the price quoted to you for VKool 70 and Goldust is defo on the very High side. Ive got the exact same combination for 15.5 k as the goldust matches amazingly with SUNBEAM Beige. Try to talk to the dealer directly. The Goldust actually blends with the car color and sometimes it seems like the glass is made of the same color. Performance is good as well.

If you have ny questions bout the PDI or nything else, feel free to ask . ::T

Njoy The Jet :clap

Add urself Here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=994&start=260
  3. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    MOD NOTE: Avoid posting same content again to increase your post count. Its against the forum rules.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Abhishek. Welcome to TFI. ::T
    Congrats for booking the civilian JET.

I have experienced the jet power of Ansal's T-JET and yes, it is of no comparison (much much superior) than the City. You have made the right choice.

Here is your Linea T-JET being driven by Micheal Schumacher
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yppxI-hnYOI[/youtube]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
  6. Hi ABK1980, congrats on booking the Tjet.
    Yes; its an amazing machine and you will enjoy the ownership thoroughly.

I should say, you are getting a good offer of Rs. 10K on accessories.

Congrats again and Drive safe.

>>>>>> Yashik, yes, the T-jet is driven by Micheal Schumacher, Ansal, Binze, Satya and 40 other proud Jet owners in TFI as well ::T
  7. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Sorry, didn't know about the other post. I have updated changes from here to the older post.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Welcome to TeamFiat, Abhishek. Congratulations and enjoy the Jet.
  9. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Thanks everyone!
    @Ansal11: Thanks for the info regarding VCool - I got those from your very detailed ownership thread. One question - Is Golddust golden in color? If so, it would probably not go with my car color.
    @PaddleShifter: Yes, I saw that video and also you ownership thread during my research. :)
    @bnzjon: Thanks for you help mate!
  10. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    :cool: Congrats abk1980 on the booking of Jet, I am sure it will be a real jetter in your family, waiting to hear from you the ownership reviews with pictures.
    Congratulation once again ::T