1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A List on Long Term Preventive Maintenance of MJD LINEA - Suggestions Needed.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arian, Oct 29, 2012.

1. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Dear Friends,
    My Linea MJD is at 80,000 Kms. Most of my driving is on the highways & many a times I do undertake night time journeys. Hence preventive maintenance becomes very critical. In course of this 80,000 kms I have carried out a few mandatory / precautionary steps - total part replacements / rectifications. But these have been on my own discretion (TASS has never recommended any preventive changes). I wish to know from experts on the forum as to what are the parts that generally start delivering sub-optimal performance once the car has done over 80,000 kms so that I can get some preventive maintenance done on those.

For your information the list of some significant work done on my car includes -
    1) Clutch assembly changed at 22,000 kms (Free of cost under warranty for faulty clutch assembly). So the current clutch assembly has done roughly 60,000 kms. My reverse gear is difficult to engage currently & makes a lot of grinding sound.
    2) Rear suspension overhaul at 60,000 kms & Front Shocks - Rs. 22,000 (approx)
    3) Rear axle replaced at 63,000 kms - Rs. 24,000 (approx) (warranty not honoured by FIAT)
    4) Timing chain at 75,000 kms - Rs. 3000 odd (again not under recall as I had crossed 60,000 kms)
    5) Battery replaced
    6) Tyres replaced
    7) Ball & socket to eliminate steering play

The things I want to do in future include
    1) changing the clutch assembly
    2) changing the lights to something more powerful
    3) AC servicing
    4) Changing the music system panel (the text has vanished)
    5) Radiator belt makes a lot of noise. Is it routine or is a replacement required?

It ll be of immense help if experts can add to this list since dont want to run the risk of getting stranded

Thanks
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Radiator belt have to changed in 60k service was it changed in your car ?
  3. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    I believe radiator fan is driven by an electric motor. This looks similar to exhaust fan.....
  4. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Radiator belt was not replaced. It does make a lot of noise though. What I also see is there are two belts that are visible when we open the bonnet. Do we have to replace both or just the radiator belt? When I asked the SC about radiator belt I was told that I will run fine till 1 lakh kms or more

Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    My Linea completed 66000 kms.Parts replaced as under

1.CSC at 45000 Kms,
    2. Rack and pinion under EW at 58000 Kms
    3. Turbo under EW at 65000 Kms
    4. Timing Chain at 65000 Kms (Paid)

under Process

1. steering column as lower shaft U joint making noise under EW (approved).
    2. AC compressor starting making hissing noise and AC clutch issues under EW (still to claim).
    3. suspension overhaul although no issue yet, may be at later date.
    4.clutch overhaul at later date although no issues.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai

What about Radiator Belt? Also, is servicing the AC important?
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I think the Ac serving should be done while the compressor gets changed.

arian what kind of noise u get from the radiator fan
  8. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Cant be really called a noise. Its like a loud fan in a house which is primarily due to aging. In short the revolution of the belt is not smooth. Though the SC claims not need to change

Thanks
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    In my case, it was the opposite. During monsoons, I face noise like "chik...chik...chik..." and when asked SA said AC belt needed to be changed. However, I've yet not changed it and the noise which was due to rain/mist/monsoon is now not appearing.
  10. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    All I know is that there are two belts visible as soon as you open the Bonnet. Not sure which one is for what!