1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A journey with Punto

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by shams, May 21, 2011.

1. Great pics shams ..
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wild guess, is it the sound from the turbo, I have heard some whistling from the Swift diesels that overtake me, could be the same,
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @ Pran, for puntos we rarely hear turbo whistle inside . Even those swift owners would surely be hearing your turbo whistling too when you are in the turbo rpm range.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore

It could very well be something related to the turbo since the whistling sound comes only when the rpm needle is above 1750 rpm.
  5. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

hello,
    I had a few queries related to a turbo whistle since long. Tried to find on the internet but didnot get the right pointers.
    1. Is turbo whistle good to have or does it hamper the respective engine components' life?
    2. why does every turbocharged car not have a turbo whistle? I experienced it in my cousin's Octavia on multiple highway drives and to the ears it was pleasant. Driven i20, swift but never noticed it.

I saw discussion going on here over the turbowhistle, hence thought of asking.
    Kindly let know.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @platinumshine , not sure if the whistle in my punto is coming due to some problem. Haven't heard anyone else mention about a similar sound here on tfi. The SC guys however find it unusual and they even tried to find out the source of it by a quick under bonnet examination but to no avail.
    One thing is sure my punto has got very good pickup.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    After thorough checkup TASS found the whistling sound coming because of some fault with the turbocharger. They came to this conclusion by fitting another turbocharger with which the sound was not there.

Taking things further TASS's claim of replacing the turbocharger under warranty was rejected by someone from tatamotors citing the following two reasons:
    1. There was a service lapse. I got my second service done at 17xxx kms instead of 15000
    2. My car has had a major accident and few minor ones with dents on fender/bumper etc

The turbocharger costs some 195xx rupees.

Point no 1 was my fault but I feel that is not something which can cause the turbocharger to give problems.
    And the major accident had happened when my car had run 1500 kms. Now its at 35000+ kms.

Are the above quoted reasons good enough to reject the warranty claim? I don't think so. Have anyways decided to take it up with Mangesh and see what happens. Would request other TFIians to pitch in with their opinion on this matter.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I have no idea how an accident can be a reason for the TASS to deny you a warranty claim on the Turbo!! :confused::confused: You need to let FIAT know of this.

Regarding the first point, can you tell the oil changes done during those 17,000km's. Were there any done?
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    engine oil change was done during the second service only. however power steering/ brake oil were changed during major accident repair at 1609 kms to be exact.

Had got the brake pads changed at 14xxx kms and was not getting time leave the car for service due to some personal reasons.