1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A journey with Punto

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by shams, May 21, 2011.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

This is a case of running-in a partially new engine, no doubt about it. Engine in a newly delivered car is run-in under lab/factory conditions but here you have installed brand new parts which are yet to see light of the day. Driving sedate for sometime isn't a bad idea, i am not sure for months though.

I am particularly interested to know if the performance is intact but the answer is a month or two away, never mind keep my query with you and let me know. None the less, It was a joy to see your car back and that sense of relief in your post.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    True Ramesh! I have been a recipient of this goodwill gesture more than once :)

Thanks Ravi sir :). I remember having read that in your ownership thread.

Thanks Bharath :) somehow i have a feeling that my driving style might have strained the engine.. so thinking of taking it easy going forward!
    Thanks Praveen :)! i hope you got your car back yesterday!
    Thanks Shashank :)
    as i said above i have a feeling that i might have strained the engine with my driving style hence want to make an effort to tone down a bit :)! having said that, i know its easier said than done! lets see :)

Reached office today by taking an autorickshaw then a bus then another bus in two hours :( !

Update:

Got an update from service center gm that car is fine now. it will be sent to my office at 2:00 pm for a long test drive! If the test drive goes well, it will be sent back to SC for washing after which it will be delivered to me!
    3 people like this.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Although you are under impression that you strained the engine and feel guilty of it but it was never the engine at first place, it was just the timing belt. I am rather thankful to the fact that it didn't spoil the whole block, where it very well could. I asked something like this to one of a very good mechanic once when i was having MPFI ZEN. Very first words he said that Diesels are about "Timing Belt". Diesel engines don't mind tons and tons of weight in Buses and trucks, real workhorses and far more strained than they are in our pony hatchbacks if you compare their Power-Torque/Ton ratio. Still they keep going on and on...

For eg Tata LPK 2523 truck with payload+Dry weight of 25 tonnes has Power/torque rating as 232 HP/814-m. Compare LPK 2523's Power/Torque ratio of 9.28 Bhp/Ton and 32.56 NM/Ton with your 1.2 tons Punto power/torque rating of 65 Bhp/Ton and 164.646464 NM/Ton. Then Mr. SHAM claims that he could indeed stress his state of the art/modern diesel engine:confused:.

This doesn't have to do anything with aggressive/sedate driving as long as it is correct. According to me, a car which is cruising at high speed continuously in 5th Gear will have longer timing belt life than the one which is driven in city with frequent gear changes. Since most of us drive in cities, Let's just accept it as one of the error in our understanding or ignored maintenance aspect, not 100% your fault but all TFIians are equally responsible for not discussing such a sensitive thing ever.

Just do a proper run-in and take care of this Belt thing in future.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Great to you hear the car is back Shams. Good to hear about Fiat & KHT's goodwill gesture.

Time to take her for a long spin!
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    just came back from a long test drive of 50+ kms with KHT Fiat team lead Velu, on all kinds of roads and took the car to four lane NH4 as well! took it till speeds of 135-140 kmph!
    it felt more silent and responsive than ever :) looked like its eager munch miles!!

car has gone back to SC for interior/exterior cleaning after which it will be delivered to me in couple of hours!!
    10 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    See. I told you earlier. Whenever your car goes for any major work, it comes back better and better. Now, I don't know what kind of beast your car is. :D
    2 people like this.
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    hi Shams, Congrats your punto is back as told now it should be a better version .. :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Shams,

Pls post the pics after the surgery. We are waiting for it.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ramjn,
    Turbo is still under test :D , lets wait for weekend results ,if any 200Kmph crunch ;)
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Haha, if that is the case Ramesh, i am fine with how it is now!! don't want more of this betterment :p

- - - Merged Post - - -

will surely do it bharath once i get it back :) just did TD till now. it will be delivered in some time!
    1 person likes this.