1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A journey with Punto

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by shams, May 21, 2011.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Thats a major difference between EW and Warranty Girish! Have a look at these posts from definitive forum: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review - Page 276 - Team-BHP

You can clearly see the insurance company's name which is National Insurance(TPA is Europe Assistance) in one and United India (TPA is Global) in the other.
    This is how many manufacturers provide extended warranty
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ouch... lets hope so that it's just bad timing. Pls ensure that when you take out your car, it shouldn't be a costly affair (only timing chain cost). Under worst case, you have to bear it's charges. Also once claim is rejected, it's very unlikely that insurance agency will give a 2nd look (they have direct obligation to FIAT and not customer here). You may try but leaving the car there isn't solution. May be you can parallely ask for FIAT's help here to push this case through and not wait for any generocity on insurance company's part, it seems very unlikely here. That's the way i see it.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Sorry my mistake, I did have a look at the Warranty certificate issued to me and it mentions the National Insurance & Europ Assistance. The EW booklet mentions the Future Generali as Insurer & Europ Assistance as the service provider for the EW program. All I am expected to do is contact Fiat for any EW claims and Fiat is going to provide the services even if it had bought the program from Future Generali.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

visited the SC again today evening. top portion of engine was opened where overhead camshaft was found to be broken. camshaft apparently is the most vulnerable part in cases of timing chain snapping!

Next step is opening engine head to check if there is any damage to the valves. This will be done only once EW matter is resolved.

I was told that KHT warranty representative spoke to the concerned person regarding EW approval but they didn't agree to approve.

On hearing this, I spoke to the EW representative from Global over phone and explained him the situation after which he asked me to give the phone SC person. He spoke to the CRM and asked him to send the details again stating that camshaft is broken and engine head needs to be opened. This request will be sent tomorrow morning.
    Hoping this time it is approved!

engine with camshafts removed, top part of valves can be seen:
    Broken part of camshaft shown in red circles:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

This is unbelievable. A broken timing chain causes so much damage? Did you by any chance try cranking the engine multiple times after the car stopped?

6. shams

shams Esperto

Yes, i did that but thats not what causes the damage in such cases. timing chain snapping while running itself causes all the damage! chain moves the camshaft which moves the valves and hence the damage!

googled to find out what damages can be caused by snapped timing chain and i was amazed to see the possibilities!!
    2 people like this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Oh well.....bummed to see that.

The worst case scenario relating to timing chain/belt failures is rather broad ranged. From a simple timing chain replacement to complete engine being turned into an expensive art piece at some contemporary art gallery.

Wishing you luck,

8. Shams,

Feel sorry to see your car in the current state, how ever these are parts which can be replaced your car will soon back in action.
    This reminds me to order timing chain from 99rpm and be ready to get it replaced by 60 k kms.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

This is indeed bad luck, pls keep us updated. I wonder if CAM shaft was broken when car was brought to workshop.
    You said that Engine is making weird metal noises. An engine with a broken camshaft can't even start. May be you can recheck this.
    This is scaring, not only for your car but to everyone. This chain thing is done at 60k.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry for your punto's health.
    i would be happy to know your driving style,does this affects on the life of timing chain as i remember you just crossed 60K Kms and FIAT manual doesnt says any timing chain replacement for 75HP.

Before i left for my tirupathi trip i read your thread and was little bit scared for going on this tour as my ODO is on 73K Kms,but my punto was at its best,while going continous run of 810 Kms in 16 hours and the same while return 785Kms in 14 hours.