1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A journey with Punto

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by shams, May 21, 2011.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    visited the SC some time back! there are couple of blips in my punto's service history which has become the reason for rejection.
    1. 2nd service was done at 17xxx kms due to which an earlier warranty claim was also rejected but was eventually approved. details are here:http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3-mjd/2423-journey-punto-8.html#post85079
    2. 3rd service was done at 35xxx kms because i had started my trip of 4600 kms (http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/4076-round-trip-4600-kms.html) when ODO reading was 29k after a general checkup at SC.
    There is a proof of the trip in my service history because i had visited the SC at my native for an emergency at 32xxx kms.

-Turbocharger warranty replacement was done at 36506 kms.
    -45 k and 60 k services were done on time.

The service history sent by SC to EW company for timing kit claim was not showing the 60k service for some reason. They are going to send the updated one again and quote the valid reasons for the delay as told by me and try for approval.
    Not sure what will happen. My punto is at the mercy of EW guys now.
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

hey Sham, don't wait for these idiots, if it is rejected once, i am doubtful if situation will change. Pay it and get your car home.
    You can keep processing it alongwith (pics are already taken) and escalate to FIAT as well to help you out here with insuring company. I think this extended warrantee is just a rubbish and market gimmick, sad to know this.
    1 person likes this.
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

I think there is no need to rush here and also no harm in trying with the correct details again.

Once the job is done and money paid there wouldn't be proper interest shown by either parties.
    2 people like this.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Press your case. It is not your fault that the timing chain snapped.

All the work should happen under warranty. Were you asked to replace chain at 60k and did you refuse?
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Enki, its not only the timing kit! that has been replaced but car is having lots of engine noise and is not drivable. SC will not start the engine work without a go ahead from EW.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Shams -Sorry to see you undergoing such hardship in getting your Punto back to shape. There is one question that is nagging me though - If there was no engine noise before the timing chain snapped and you did not rev the engine with a snapped timing chain, then how did the engine suddenly become noisy after timing chain replacement?

Rajan
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    certainly not!

Warranty and Extended Warranty (EW) are quite different as we all know:
    warranty is provided by Fiat directly but the EW is provided by an insurance company (United India here) with a TPA (Global in my case. Europa is another one) in between. In warranty cases we can expect Fiat to make some considerations for customers but for EW I am not sure!

I am going to visit the SC twice every working day to do follow ups and escalate the matter to Fiat if EW is rejected again.

What i was told is that - it could be consequential damage (of timing chain snapping) which sometimes happens in cases like this where car stopped while running.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Rajan, an engine with a snapped timing chain cannot be revved at all. The moment the chain snaps, the engine will die at that very position.

Shams, has the chain been replaced already? How does the sound feel like? Like pistons hitting valves? Quite loud n metallic? I saw a Palio Multijet wrongly timed after it's chain snapped. The wrong timing was causing the noise. Retiming the engine made it perfect once again. The source of noise need not be some sort of damage. Can well be an error.

Also, if TASS say its due to damage, then ask them to let you know the exact extent of damage and what all is damaged. Conjectures by TASS wont help.
    4 people like this.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes the chain has been replaced already. I saw the broken chain also, it looked like a bicycle chain! They started and finished that work without EW approval since cost involved is relatively small.
    I haven't heard the noise. Will visit the SC again in the evening today. you raised a good point about wrong timing! will ask them if they have dealt with 'timing chain snapping' case before and insist on retiming.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Sorry but your statement confused me. Why would the Extended Warranty be provided by Insurance company:eek:. It is provided by the car manufacturer isnt it. Or am I missing something here. There is a slight difference in the normal warranty and Extended warranty provided by Fiat in terms of spares that will be covered. In no way any insurance co is involved in the warranty thing. Pls correct me if I am wrong.