1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A journey with Punto

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by shams, May 21, 2011.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    You're pads are pretty good.. No need to worry.
    Forget about the squeaks , I think its all got to do with the compounds used in the pads...
    Reason why i came to this conclusion is because I've so far changed 2 sets and running on a 3rd set now (Magnetti Marelli) and even the 3rd set squeaks when i run it for too long (for about 300kms continuously).

Also when the time does come for a change take a look at BOSCH or BREMBO.
    To source these pads I think you should start with homework right away though ;-)
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Shams, brake squeal is the indication that brake pads are approaching their retirement. It is made such a way that they produce this sound as an indication. Since you heard the same sound last time it is a clear evidence. Remember overuse of squealing pads can damage your disc also. other reason for squeal is dust and rust and resonance. small vibration in audible range gets amplified. Go through the brake squeal section of wiki Disc brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ thanks guys, the brake squeal has become quite less now so i would be ignoring it for next couple of thousand kms atleast!
    would search for bosch brakepads in the meantime..
    yesterday i drove to jolarpettai from bangalore around 300 kms to and fro! my parents had to board a train from there to my native! had started at 12:30 pm from my house. it took around 45 mins to cross BETL after which i had to make a brisk 2 minute stop to open the boot and push the rear seatbelt hook inside, so that my mother could fasten it! I always ensure that everyone in my punto wears a seatbelt whenever I am driving on a highway.

With normal driving, reached jolarpettai railway station around 3:45 pm including another stop for lunch and diesel top up at HP coco bunk, shoolagiri. Mileage was 17.6 kmpl as per the MID for the journey so far.

After my parents boarded the train, I left for bangalore at around 5:30 PM from there!

This time i decided that I will drive in a very relaxed way listening to songs of choice, not exceeding 100 kmph and trying to extract the best mileage! wanted to check once again "kitna de sakti hai" ;)

Resetted the tripmeter again and drove exactly like this for the next 30 kms or so. Could see a mileage of 26 kmpl driving at 80-90-100 so far!

just before krishnagiri a Skoda Rapid TDI zoomed past me! I tried hard to resist but to no avail! i gave in to the temptation and started chasing him! We were exchanging our lead for the rest of the journey.. sometimes he went ahead and sometimes I did!

On straight stretches of road he was able to overtake me even when i was at full throttle touching max speeds! that car has some power!! This happened 2-3 times and everytime he managed to get ahead of me! That time I felt it might not have happened if I had a linea or 90hp punto! I still managed to stay just ahead till the final BETL toll but I have to admit that I ended up driving a bit rash in order to do that!

Reached HSR layout bangalore at 7:30 pm with the MID showing mileage of 14.5 for the return journey!!

I would like to emphasize that no matter what we should never get instigated by others on the highway and should always drive at speeds what we are comfortable at and not try to keep up/ get ahead of others as sometimes it can force us out of our comfort zone which can be dangerous.

I am saying all this because i had a close call yesterday when a truck was cutting into the rightmost lane from the middle lane and i thought it would go back to middle lane hearing my continous horn. The Rapid had just gone ahead and I was chasing it! To my horror the truck didn't stop and kept coming to the right. Now the space between the truck and divider to my right was not enough for me to pass so I had to slam the brakes as hard as I could gearing down at the same time and punto became dead slow in no time to avoid the truck. I realized that my heart had skipped a beat! Let the brakepads wear out at 5k kms, i would care a damn about that if the trade off for it is such powerful braking ability!
    8 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I think punto's brake pad materiel is soft for a better breaking action. That may be the reason why we see lot of brake dust after a long trip.One thing that we can gaurantee in punto is that there is no compromise on safety. Safety always win in trade off. Since the noise is disappearing it may be also due to some dust particle(a chance) and not necessarily due to worn out brake pads.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I recently drove a friend's TDI and I'll have to say that Rapid's mid-range is mind-blowing and Linea can only dream on. Of course she has a lesser engine CC than Rapid but I was simply blown away by the response and it was redlining to 5K RPM effortlessly.

It sure has,As I said I didn't want to get down after the test drive and the power was everywhere. But the only thing which I hated was the Steering it was pathetic to say the least. Also the Euro feel was missing inside the cabin. The plastics were indeed not Skoda class.

Well said Shams, However it's very hard to resist and you can end up in a mess. I always drive in Relaxed fashion at about 110~120, however some crook always find to cut me harsh and I just can't resist until I prove him a lesson. Sometime I've taken a deep breath and continue driving relaxed only to catch him up at the next toll.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    @Teky, After VW came in to market skoda is like a both hands tied together. VW will never allow skoda to be above them, though skoda I feel is more premium brand than VW.
    See they have chosen less premium dash for rapid. See the tire size. When face lifted fabia came they didn't provide rear wiper. Didn't give 15" wheels. :eek:fftopic
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    I forgot to mention one thing! I had braked so hard that due to the jerk, backrest of driver's seat got pushed to the front (from the slant adjustment part) and I got a slight sprain in the back :D.
    Punto however was planted firmly to the road without even a hint of loosing any grip!!

Need to be sure if Bosch pads will be as good as the OEM (Galfer) ones as I do not want any compromise on the tremendous braking ability of OEM pads!
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Just confirm what punto use as OEM. There are pads that last long but compromising on braking ability. I believe many other hatches use that to satisfy their customers.
    So your punto has one more feature."It give a kick on the head if the driver do a rash driving". It should go to Did you know thread:D
    1 person likes this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Very true. You are able to keep pace with a car with 103 bhp using 76hp Punto. The case would have been different if it had been 90hp or Linea. Both these vehicles show its true color after the 3000 rpm. In my recent trip to Kudremukh, while coming back I tried to chase a Skoda Superb from Chennarayapatna. I was not able to go past him even once. But, he never vanished away from my sight. This happened till we reached the outer ring road junction on the Tumkur Road :).

You always drive in relaxed fashion at 110-120? :lol :lol :lol

I still can't forget the way you drove during our Yelagiri pilot trip and actual trip. :).
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Will be leaving for Munnar early morning tomorrow:
    MapMyIndia is showing the below route:
    https://maps.google.co.in/maps?sadd...oq=coonoo&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=1,2&z=8

This is around 50 kms more than the other route which goes via bhavani-perundurai-kangeyam-dharapuram-udumalaipettai. Had taken this one while driving to Munnar last time.

Is the route via Dindigul going to take less time?

Was thinking about NH209 via Dimbam ghats also but that would consume extra time I feel since i need to cross the western ghats once and then again climb it in Munnar!

Any suggestions guys?

Return journey would be via Coonoor with couple of days halt there!!