1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A journey that ended up with looking deep inside myself

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by PatchyBoy, Nov 4, 2013.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    glued to the thread to see more.............
  2. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    I absolutely agree to it. This ORR-Tumkur Rd. junction is getting worse nower days. During our last trip, around 6:00 AM, we spent around 1.5 hrs in this JAM till we touch Tumkur Road.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Day 2 -2nd November 2013

The only agenda for the day was exploring Hampi and a visit to TB dam in the evening, if possible. We started the day pretty early and were out of the lodge by 7:30 AM. We decided to leave my car behind and my wife and me caught a ride in Cubbie's Linea MJD. Shashi had organized breakfast at a friend's restaurant. After a very tasty and nutritious breakfast, we left for Hampi. Surprisingly, though this is a world heritage centre and attracts a lot of local and foreign tourists, the road leading to Hampi from Hospet was in bad shape at a few places.

We reached Hampi, where I pointed out the Sat's rear wheels seem to be losing air. He promptly checked and found one wheel to be at 12 psi and the other at 17 psi. Sat immediately pulled out his battery operated pump and filled air in both tyres. We then proceeded to hire a guide (the elderly gentleman in one of the pictures) and explore the place. I will let the pictures do the talking

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

It was saddening to see the amount of destruction the Islamic rulers had indulged in with total disregard for the labour and hard work that would have gone into the construction. It was outrageous to see the local Romeos indulging is carving their names on the walls of these timeless treasures.

By the time we covered all of these (less than 10% of Hampi) and got back to the hotel, all of us were dog tired and no one was in the mood to go to the dam. We decided to have dinner and go to bed early, as we wanted to head out to Gokarna by 04:00 AM the next day. While Sat went out to check if tyres and get any punctures fixed, Cubbie and me decided to relax with some malted brew in the restaurant. Cubbie had to return to B'lore from Hospet and it was just Sat and me heading to Gokarna.

Rajan

PS: I will tell about the special person when narrating day 3. That is when it happened, so have a little patience please
    7 people like this.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Nice pictures. "YEH DIL MAANGE MORE".......
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Day 3 -3rd November 2013

Though we had plans to leave Hospet by 4:00 AM, we were only able to start by 5:30 AM. The roads all the way from Hospet to Hubli were reasonably good, with the occasional pot hole / rough patch. We got to Hubli by 8:00 AM and stopped for breakfast. After breakfast, we proceeded to Gokarna by 09:00 AM. The roads all the way from Hubli to Ankola was in great shape, in spite of having ghat sections. We reached Ankola by 11:00.

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

From there on till Gokarna, the road was in a bad shape, but being barely 15 kms, we were able to reach the resort that Sat had booked by 11:30. The resort is built on the side of the hill. The road leading to the car park was sloped, built of mud and stones and had two hair pin bends thrown in for good measure.

If you cannot do without cell phone connectivity, wifi access, television and power supply - this place is not for you. If you think that waking up to sounds of horn-bills, watching the occasional peacock, managing with candle light when the power supply is interrupted, allowing kitten to rub against your legs at the lunch table and watching a little snake swim gracefully in the water - then this is a must visit place.

The change in the surrounds from the main road to the resort, was dramatic. The climate was at least 7 to 10 degrees cooler in a matter of 100 meters. The tree canopy was awesome and to add to the overall effect, a variety of fig tree had shed strands of it flowers and laid out what appeared to be a pinkish carpet to welcome us.

DSC00368.jpg

This is high noon over here

DSC00372.jpg

Pink carpet welcome

DSC00378.jpg

Car park. The main road is 50 meters above and the resort is 50 meters below :D

DSC00376.jpg

This is a fresh water pond, fed by mountain streams. The water was crystal clear and at least 4 feet deep.

We ordered lunch and went to the room and had a refreshing cold water bath. Hot water was available in a bucket on request, but nothing can beat a cold water bath after a 7 hour drive. By the time we had unpacked and showered, lunch was ready. The lunch was obviously fresh and very tasty. After a satisfying lunch we decided to rest a while and then head out to the beach by 4:00 PM.

After a nice nap and a fresh cup of tea, we started for the beach. The moment we hit the main road, we were stunned by how hot the sun was beating down on us. We hit the beach and hired a boat to take us around all the other beaches. A few pictures taken when approaching the beach and from the boat.

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

By the time we finished the boat ride, it was sunset and started getting dark. From there we headed into town to visit the temple. The roads inside Gokarna town are very narrow and parking is very hard to find. We were lucky to find a good parking space. After the temple visit, we headed back to the resort. When we reached the resort, there was a power outage and only candle light was available. The resort staff had started a camp fire and we decided sit by the fire and requested that dinner be served there. The resort staff gladly obliged. Half way through the dinner, power supply was restored, regretfully :D

After dinner, was sat there chatting away for sometime. That is when my perception of life changed - forever. I would like to share that conversation and experience in a separate post, so that I can finish this travelogue. I want to keep that post uncluttered.

After an undisturbed sleep, we woke up to the noise of horn-bills, freshened up, had a nice cup of tea and started out. Sat had plans of going to Sringeri and staying there for a couple of days. I decided to head back to Bangalore. The rest of the day was just an uneventful drive back home. But neither my wife, nor me spoke through the 10 hour drive. We were both lost in thought.

To conclude this travelogue, here are the details:

Trip stats.JPG

Thanks for reading

Rajan
    8 people like this.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Some breathtaking nature pictures above. So soothing to view.
    We are waiting to hear more about this, suspense.
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The night of Day 3

Right from day one, we (my wife and me) were noticing that Mrs & Mr Sat were talking about leading a simple and healthy life style. At every meal, they insisted on dishes free of onion & garlic. While we respected their tastes and beliefs, we could not help but notice the Mrs. Sat was noticeably over-weight. We kept wondering why that was the case, given their lifestyle. I did notice that she was struggling with a few steep climbs, but was not giving up on climbing or was not complaining.

Finally on day three, after dinner we were generally chatting away, when my wife, totally out of character for her, blurted out the question - "Sat, did your wife put on weight recently or was she always like this?" I was stunned that she actually asked that question. But I was totally unprepared for Sat's response. Nothing could have ever prepared me for that. This is what he said - verbatim

"She is a cancer survivor. She had to undergo 10 surgeries and lost parts of her organs, including one kidney to cancer. I mean I am reasonably successful in life, had my own house by the age of 25, bought my own car and even gifted a car to my dad. We were a very happy couple, but why us? After wondering why this was happening to us, I turned to the Upanishads, Holy texts and Vedas searching for an answer. I found what I was looking for and my wife has been healthy since 2011"

I was dumb struck. I was initially very angry with my wife for asking a very impertinent question, but now i was glad she asked. Here was a person who had looked at death in the eye multiple times and made death blink first, each time. Every single time. And was still full of life. At that moment I understood the true meaning of the words Omnipresence and Vishwaroopa Darshan. I was ashamed of myself for complaining about knee pain and back pain. I had no clue what pain was. The revelation of how small I was was numbingly clear.

I will never ever forget that conversation, the realization it brought to me and Mrs. Sat's smile after going through this ordeal. Ma'am - You have our deepest respect, a very special place in our hearts and we feel blessed and privileged to have spent time with you. I started writing this post with a lot going on in my head, but suddenly I have nothing to say.

I can only thank and praise Him for allowing us to experience this.

Thank you
    19 people like this.
  8. Rajan,
    I never thought that part of conversation made such an impact.My wife is an inspiration to me as well.Currently she is preparing for PHD entrance.
    It is more than just doctors who helped to save her for me and my family.
    13 people like this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Really inspiring experience. God bless her.
    5 people like this.
  10. I will let pictures do the talking
    IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg