1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A journey planned to Dharamsala (HP)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by dhaya76, Nov 20, 2013.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Dear All,

Long travel is always makes us excited and requires lots of planning. When we try to travel more than 2000 kms through various states, requires lots and lots of planning and need to know about the states enroute. I have never driven a long distance. The max I have drove was the latest trip to Munnar which was around 1400 kms round trip from Chennai.

Coming back to the point, today morning my father informed me that my sister probably relocating near Pathankot around March next year and he was asking me about a trip there by car :p . The plan will be to stay couple of days there and visit Dharamsala. This is always adding fuel to the fire we have for a long distance drive. I was excited when I hear that. I know it is very tough to convince my wife, but decided to give a try. How :?: , this needs more planning than the entire trip plan :eek:.

I thought of slowly plan for this trip. The plan is to do during summer vaccation, and I know Sun won't show any mercy during the month of May, but that is the only time I can plan for these long trips. I usually don't rush beyond 100 Kmph and drive max of 12 hrs and I can add 2 hrs as buffer. I will be accompanied by my father for this trip. About my father, he is 65 yrs old a retired school teacher. He learnt driving recently and don't mind travelling by car for long distance.

Need all your inputs on things like route, accommodations, eatary, documents, tools to carry etc.

The very first purchase that I will be doing is "Learn Hindi in 30 days" book :p.
  2. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    I think a good place the research process is JRavi sir's thread, link here. If I am not wrong he did cover Mcleodganj is his trip, please do keep us posted on all your plans as it would help me as well for the trip I have planned for next year ;)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    You can consider the west and north India route although it is round-about in view of availability of excellent 2/4/6 lane/expressways/toll roads, road-side amenities and safety for most of the time. Please avoid central India route via UP/MP although it is the shortest because of bad roads, poor road-side amenities and safety concerns at some stretches. You can visit Amritsar before visiting Pathankot and Dharamsala. You can add Rajasthan and/or Gujarat in your itinerary subject to your time availability. Here is the route map for planning purpose: https://maps.google.co.in/maps?sadd...amsala, Himachal Pradesh&mra=ls&via=1&t=m&z=5
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Flywheel, I will definitely share the plan.

Ravi Sir, thanks a lot for your kind advice. I will definitely be taking the route which goes through Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and HP. Sure I will make short trips in and around Amritsar (even though I have already been there once couple of years back) and Pathankot. I need to cover the itinerary in 2 weeks, I am not sure whether I will be able to add Rajasthan and Gujarat in my itinerary due to time availability. But will try at least one fort visit in Rajasthan.
    1 person likes this.
  5. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I have put a draft plan for the trip. These can change based on the availability of accommodations in those places.

Plan A:

Day 1: Chennai - Bangalore - Tumkur - Hubli >> 763 kms
    Day 2: Hubli - Pune - Kalyan - Valsad - Surat >> 847 kms
    Day 3: Surat - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Chittorgarh - Bhilwara >> 670 kms
    Day 4: Bhilwara - Hanumangarh - Bhatinda - Faridkot - Amritsar - Gurdaspur >> 899 kms

Plan B:

Day 1: Chennai - Bangalore - Tumkur - Hubli - Belgaum >> 860 kms
    Day 2: Belgaum - Pune - Kalyan - Valsad - Surat - Vadodara >> 879 kms
    Day 3: Vadodara - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Chittorgarh - Bhilwara - Sujangarh >> 838 kms
    Day 4: Sujangarh - Hanumangarh - Bhatinda - Faridkot - Amritsar - Gurdaspur >> 585 kms

Travel from Gurdaspur hasn't been done now since I need to check with my sister availability as well. Both the plans I tried to restrict myself driving maximum of 900 kms on a single day which should be okay. But I want to hear from the experts whether the plan looks okay. If accommodations are issues, then I have to change the plan accordingly.
  6. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I will be starting my trip on a Saturday and I am sure that heavy traffic will be there in Mumbai :eek:. I would like to know which route I have to take bypassing Mumbai. Since as per my plan I am reaching Mumbai on Sunday evening, what time will be best to reach the place so that I don't get much traffic.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    You have to go via Navi Mumbai>Thane>Ghodbandar to bypass Mumbai. I always prefer midnight to early morning to bypass Mumbai. Bon voyage.
  8. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    Covering 900 kms in a day looks to be too optimistic considering moderate to heavy traffic on North India Highways. Though If you get an average speed of 75 kmph & drive 12 hours daily, you can easily cover 900 kms.
  9. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you Ravi Sir for the route. I usually don't drive beyond 11 pm because I don't feel comfortable. I am fine to start early in the morning, say around 3 am to 4 am. Looking at the plan, I will be reaching Mumbai around 3 pm to 5 pm on Sunday evening if I start early from Hubli (starting around 6 am).

Hi Rachit Bhatnagar, I get your point. I am fine to drive for 12 hours a day. I have did that more than twice earlier with lots of stops in between (recent past was last year from Chennai to Coimbatore where I have to stop couple of hours in my native and at a temple). But the drive was in a familiar route and this will be vice versa which will be a challenge for me.

Let me also see the possibility of adding one more day (need to reduce my stay in Pathankot at my sister house) in the travel plan so that I can drive little more relax than rushing.