1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Grande Ownership report-the 2012 Punto Dynamic

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sidindica, Dec 1, 2012.

1. sidindica

sidindica

-
    CHAPTER 14: RIDE, HANDLING AND BRAKES

885348_558616674172622_575232951_o.jpg

The car stands at 9000 kms now when the above pic was clicked at Haryana 3 days back. The engine cries for more straightline acceleration when required and for a 6th gear when its at triple digit speeds. The roads in this state interior are full of potholes or nasty surprises. Situated somewhere are those 3G souls (ghostly ghastly grizzly) which show you your true test of driving skills. Cows and buffalos looking like overhunched oxen are added bonus, and so are the himalayan sized speedbreakers. This is one area where the car shines. The PLCs could have been better in more grip compared to XM1, but the ride quality is one shot astonishing over any road its throw over. Its got a heavy duty chassis which smothers any bumps and potholes and does not jostle you around here and there.

The raised suspension is a boon for me, contrary to earlier criticisms over 180 plus mm GC. No more scraping of underbelly or thinking twice before going over an unavoidable bump or pothole.
    But, the raised suspension does come with a penalty-compared to the older punto, the magic of handling is lost somewhat and the car has a wee bit more body roll and though the car's stability at high speeds is top class, the higher centre of gravity does make its presence felt. The steering is direct, precise feedback but I somehow will still rate the figo as the best diesel hatch if only fun-to-drive point and shoot handling is what you look for.

Braking is simply outstanding. In fact, of many cars owned and driven recently, this car has plain amazing brakes and stop point and straight without any drama. ABS system cuts in when required at right time and body control is simply superb in this car. I have seen many people complaining about short life of brake pads but I will reserve my comment till I see them when the car will cross 10,000 and will go for balancing and alignment to my reputed tyre shop owned by a friend.
    2 people like this.
  2. sidindica

sidindica

-
    408514_528446083856348_26187262_n (1).jpg

How does it perform with the 195/65r15 PLCs post the upgrade?

I am a michelin user since the past 8 years now. And the PLCs don't continue to disappoint. The high GC has made the car a l'il more susceptible to winds and the tyre's soft compounds are more biased towards ride comfort than handling. I took the car till 183 tops but the tyres could have performed better. Where they lag? Is in terms of grip. They ain't a patch on XM series and are meant for sedate driving. But the car feels like a vault. The heavy body, the humongous well laid out simple dashboard and the thunk of the doors give you a feeling of invincinbility. Moreover, the nitty gritty attention to detail WRT safety engineering gets a full marks from me. Not so for the quality of service, especially in oberoi. The car has covered 9200 odd km and I expect atleast betterness when the car will go for its 15,000 km service at kashyap. This month, the car has met with 3 front bumper hits and lately, the underbelly of the front bumper was chipped after it went down a drain, thanks to an unexpected phone call from my dad who was concerned after i almost lost my second mobile phone (the lumia 920). The repair work done by oberoi WRT paintjob was great but the car was given back without satisfaction, as documented in the service center review thread. Maybe a neembu mirch tadka can do the trick here.

44398_10151288611338328_331400041_n.jpg

408514_528446083856348_26187262_n.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Sid. please don't try to achieve the top speed and also if achieved then please avoid the same to capture it.

Apart from this all your pix are awesome dude :)
  4. sidindica

sidindica

-
    The car is about to near the 10k mark. Nothing new to report, but it went a wash and polish. This was after a mini-malistic session.

WP_20130322_009.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  5. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    Sid, did you paint the bumper where you got the scratch? from TASS or outside. My car also got a scratch from Motor cycle though the color is White almost the at the same place. Thinking to paint but apprehensive of the color matching.
  6. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Nice pics sid...i went today to kashyap for my minor problems, got them fixed within a hour and i was impressed by the service to be true. hope they continue it. Any way i had my first share of scratch in my Left RVM....a biker tried to cut across from a tight space and left some paint over the mirrors. :evil: Since there is no 3M here in delhi, any other alternative. I asked Kashyap today they were quoting Rs1700 for Teflon coating...and not paint protection...since there was a 3M banner that is why asked them, but even i am not sure if Tefon and paint protection are same or different(so skipped it). Hope we can meet sometime :D
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. sidindica

sidindica

-
    Wait for 4-5 months, but since your colour is dark, buy a 3M meguire technowax box (it costs 1100 odd rupees) and apply yourself. Else, try for steam n shine or there is another detailing outlet in faridabad IIRC.

WP_20130322_004.jpg

WP_20130322_002.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    thanks buddy, will try to protect as much as possible from possible scratches. Any way tasty shoes on the Mini...will look great on a Punto :D. But first step for me is getting the 15inch tires with the method you used(Linea rims and caps)
  9. sidindica

sidindica

-
    Rudresh, Yes, the whole bumper's bottom scraped and was repainted. From oberoi sec 1.

Adi, there is a petrol pump just before the left turn towards mayur vihar phase-2 which has started his own detailing business including steam wash, wax/ polish and detailing. Complete interior/ exterior and engine detailing with steam wash, rubbing, buffing, polish and paint sealent plus interior cleaning will cost Rs. 5500 for the punto. I got my first round of detailing from this person only and the results are astounding. See 1-2 pages back for a pic which also has the pic of my old santro enclosed in it. The 165 r14 combination is a big no no. One, the Jk tyres re pathetic in terms of stability and grip though they do last long. Second, thin tyres will cause body roll affecting handling. Linea steel rims may or may not be available at kashyap but if they, go for it. should not cost more than Rs. 5k for set of 5. Wheel caps is approx Rs. 362 per piece. For sedate driving, the Primacy LCs are good tyres. Go to BK tyres lajpat nagar and talk to atul, he will give you the best deal.

Owing to my requirements and abuse, I did not go for alloy wheels but chosen "alloy look" wheel caps. The final look is like the pics attached in my review. And the mini cooper has 225/45 R 17 run flat tyres for a 1.6 turbo petrol with 185 bhp.
  10. sidindica

sidindica

-
    Punto articulation test. No scraping of underbelly.

WP_20130324_017.jpg

WP_20130324_014.jpg

WP_20130324_018.jpg
    8 people like this.