1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A glimpse of the Paradise

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Aug 28, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

I second that mate!
  2. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Linea 1.4
    Mega Highway is a kind of State Highway project conceptualized by GOR (Government of Rajasthan) to improve the reachability and road conditions in Rajasthan. Mostly it is a single 2 way road with marginal demarcation for both sided traffic (no divider or barricade in between). I have been on these roads on my Rajasthan trip last year and they seems to be of high quality even though they are single 2 way road.
    2 people like this.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Thank you, you made my job of the glossary post a little lighter :)

The tarmac is fantastic, the only thing that can bother you is boredom after driving a couple of hundred kms.
  4. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Linea 1.4
    I agree. Sometimes it really becomes boring with a such a long straight drive in the middle of the desert.
    To add a little more detail on this, I am attaching the maps of all the Mega Highways available across Rajasthan till date. Mega-Highways-map.jpg
    5 people like this.
  5. nkrishnap

Linea 1.3
    Decision Time

After check in to the hotel at Kargil, we had dinner at one of the hotels on the Main road which turned out to be disastrous. My wife had a stomach upset and was feeling very tired and de-hydrated. Temperatures were soaring at Kargil at well over 35 degrees even at 10 am which added to our woes. We visited the government hospital at Kargil which was not equipped to deal with patients it is supposed to be.

With the medicines we had carried, tried to get the situation under control, however, it did not help us. I put her on the ORS solution and decided to halt at Kargil itself to see if the situation improves. Simply rested in the hotel for rest of the day and a 10 min stroll on the dusty main road of Kargil.

The next day morning too the situation though a little better, was no way in a state to continue the journey further. After a long hard thought, the decision was made. We would drive back to Srinagar and my wife would be flying back to Bangalore

Kargil to Srinagar

With the decision made, the luggage was packed, and put in the boot. However, before we started our journey back, I had to drive a few kms towards Leh and come back. Call me stupid, I did drive about 10 kms and returned.

A few pics of Kargil town.

Kargil 1.jpg

Kargil 2.jpg

Refueled at the IOCL bunk in Kargil and returned to the hotel. Finished the checkout formalities and the journey towards Srinagar started. With the usual stops at the check-posts and the ascend towards Zozilla pass started.

A few pics en-route.

Kargil 3.jpg

Kargil 5.jpg

Kargil 7.jpg

Zozilla Return 1.jpg

The road condition at Zozilla Pass

Kargil 8.jpg

Zozilla Return.jpg

Zozilla Return 2.jpg

Zozilla Return 3.jpg

Zozilla Return 4.jpg

The traffic jam

Zozilla Return 5.jpg

Zozilla Return 7.jpg

Zozilla Return 8.jpg

We continue after losing close to an hour

Zozilla Return 6.jpg
    Zozilla Return 9.jpg

Checked in to Hotel Malik Palace right opposite to the Dal Lake at 6 pm. This hotel had a Cafe coffee day in the same premises too and did fulfill my coffee requirements. The air tickets to Bangalore was booked and it was time to retire for the day after the dinner.

Srinagar to Pathankot

With the tickets booked tickers for 2 pm flight to Bangalore on the Indigo airlines ensured a leisure morning. Checked out from the hotel at noon and reached the airport. There were multiple security checks done and finally dropped them off at the airport and started the drive towards Jammu at 1.30 pm. By the time we reached Anantnag, it was already 3.30 pm. We made quick progress and drove nonstop till Outskirts of Jammu. Stopped over for dinner and decided to drive up to Pathankot for the night halt and the rain gave us company from Bari Brahmana till Pathankot.

Pathankot to New Delhi.

We started the 6th August morning with the aim to drive as much as possible and reach Jaipur. However, the weather had other plans for us. The rains still not relenting, we made slow progress and near Jalandhar had brunch at Havel. And continued towards Delhi.

With the GPS guiding us, we took the Grand Trunk road and entered the Ludhiana city. Another decision that went bad. The Grand trunk road was water logged and the end result is that a good 2 hours spent in the traffic jam. What this traffic jam ensured was that the carpets in the car got wet due to water seepage which was not noticed earlier until the speakers conked after we drove around 60 kms beyond Ambala. The water had entered the Amplifier which was placed under the front passenger seat.

We decided to drive to Delhi and Halt for the day. On the way, called up Kashyap Fiat and booked an appointment to make a temporary fix for the water seepage. We retired at Hotel Stallion in Okla around 11 pm.

To be contd..
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. nkrishnap

Linea 1.3
    The Return Journey

At Kashyap Fiat

Reached the service center at 9 am and the service advisor attended to us after 15 mins and prepared the job card. I explained what needs to be done and obliged and ensured that the water in below the carpets were sucked out and put the side panels in place. A complimentary car wash also done.

A few snaps of the vintage car kept on display

Kashyap Fiat - 1.jpg

Kashyap Fiat - 3.jpg

Kashyap Fiat - 4.jpg

Kashyap Fiat - 5.jpg

An interesting seat

Kashyap Fiat - 2.jpg

I was out of the service center by 12 noon and with the hotel just about a couple kms away, we reached had a quick lunch and had a nap for about 2 hours. The next marathon run for the trip was decided that we will drive to Thane to Hotel Ibis.

Okla Delhi to Navi Mumbai - 1413 kms - 25 hours 30 mins (includes 1 tea break, 1 dinner break, 1 breakfast break , 1 lunch break and a power nap break)

Checked out of the hotel and started out journey at 5.45 pm. The peak hour traffic did not help us one bit, by the time we reached Jaipur it was already 10 pm. We stopped over at one the highway dhabas a few kms after Jaipur for dinner. The owner of the dhaba was a friendly chap who had come to this place 15 years back and set up this dhaba and earning his living ever since. We continued driving not before we refueled at the IOCL bunk close by and drove till 5.30 am and felt like I was not able to concentrate perfectly. Pulled over at one IOCL bunk and took a power nap for around an hour.

Continued driving and stopped over for freshening up and breakfast at one of the resorts on the outskirts of Udaipur.

The drive continued after breakfast and steady pace ensured we were making good progress. Reached hotel Darshan a few kms after Vadodara on the highway lunch on the NH 8 close to noon. With a not so heavy lunch and lassi it was time to be back on road, the roads were quite free up to Baruch and then the traffic sort of slowed us and the drizzle too did not help in keeping the pace up.

Refueled the car at the HPCL bunk near Baruch as the fuel was almost running out. Then it was a nonstop dash to Hotel Ibis in Navi Mumbai

Checked into Hotel Ibis at 7.15 pm. A quick shower and a tasty dinner and it was time to retire for the day in the cozy bed.

Navi Mumbai to Bangalore - 982 kms - 16 hours

With around 1000 kms left in the journey, we had planned to start early around 4 am to ensure we don't get stuck in the traffic. However, the comfortable bed ensure we wanted to catch up some more sleep. This ensured we started by 9 am after the complimentary breakfast. The traffic being heavy, we made slow progress and entered the Mumbai Pune expressway. With heavy traffic it was only slow progress from here on till we reached Katraj Bypass.

We stopped for the lunch break at Hotel Nataraj around 1.30 pm. A good hour used up in relaxing after the taxing slow drive and the lunch. Refueled at the BPCL bump and the drive continued. The drive from here till Kolhapur is nothing to write home about with hoards of two wheels occupying the left lane and slow moving vehicles such as the 800's, TATA Ace occupying it. It was a frustrating drive till we crossed the Karnataka border. The traffic eased up considerably. The good highways ensured we made good progress till Kittur.

A few pics near Belgaum

Return 1.jpg

Return 2.jpg

Return 4.jpg

Return 3.jpg

The Vikasa Soudha

Return 6.jpg

Return 5.jpg

It was dusk time, so pulled over till it went completely dark. A refreshing 45 min power nap ensured we were charged enough to reach Bangalore. Refueled for the penultimate time at a HPCL bunk near Haveri. The nonstop run to Bangalore started from here.

Reached the HPCL bunk on the Bellary main road and topped up the car and headed back home. Reached home at 1 am. Left all the luggage in the car and just hit the bed.

The drive lasted for 15 days, covered 7,298 kms from door to door traversing 8 states.

Map - Full Trip.jpg

The trip cost with the break up for accommodation, Fuel, toll, etc coming up soon
    3 people like this.
  7. Krishna, after you dropped your wife at airport in srinagar,you were alone right?
    But i see we every where?????
  8. nkrishnap

Linea 1.3
    Nope. I wasn't alone, my brother-in-law was with me. For the major part of the journey all he did was to sleep comfortably. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000
    2 people like this.
  9. A great travelogue. Inspiration for many of us to plan such trips in our Fiats. Wish we can plan a Chennai-Blr team trip some where. Cheers for a great writing style and awesome pictures. Thank you. Happy that you had a great trip in your Linea and are back safe and sound. Do hope your wife's health has also come back to normal. Waiting for your next travelogue.
    1 person likes this.
  10. venka

venka BANNED

After reading your travelogues felt bad that u didn't do leh !!! or you lost the card which contains leh photo :(

After Kargil yeah the roads are bad to a certain extent, but still you could have , as after Kargil only you will get india's best roads there ie. NH 1D, awesome tarmac scenic , curvy four lane , color-full mountains !! I just wasted almost 36 hrs in Kargil by waiting for Tata Safari , As it was running late but bullets were reached earlier :evilsmile .