1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A glimpse of the Paradise

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Aug 28, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Also how could you bear the back pain. Just for 300, i am getting back pain.
  2. Are you serious about this??
    The lighter you eat the less tired you will feel on long trips, no deep fried food etc...
    But I can hardly manage this, I like to indulge in all junk food and as a result this increases the need to take power nap..
    Sorry for posting an off topic in your thread..couldnt resist the discussion about food...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2 people like this.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Journey Leg 3 - Amritsar to Katra

With only 260 odd kms to cover for the day, we started off leisurely. It was still raining as we woke up in the morning. However, after about an hour the rain receded and we started towards Katra via Gurudaspur. On the outskirts of Amritsar, we refueled the car and decided to have an early lunch instead of breakfast.

The start of the day with rain

The roads were nothing to write home about with the roads in each of the cities being nothing short of craters on the moon, we made slow progress till the outskirts of Pathankot. The roads just got better from here. We cross river Ravi and reached the Jammu & Kashmir state border.

The heavenly road for the treacherous road till Pathankot

On the way to Katra Pathakot.jpg

River Ravi

On the way to Katra River Ravi.jpg

At the Jammu & Kashmir Border

On the way to Katra Jammu.jpg

The roads up were very good up to Jammu and once you deviate towards Srinagar, there were loads of deviations with the road widening and the 4 lane work going on. The progress here was quite slow and with numerous deviation we finally were around 15 kms from Katra. Stopped over to click a few photos and continued towards the hotel.

On the way to Katra.jpg

On the way to Katra Jammu Bypass1.jpg

On the way to Katra1.jpg

On the way to Katra2.jpg

On the way to Katra3.jpg

On the way to Katra4.jpg

On the way to Katra5.jpg

On the way to Katra11.jpg

Katra 1.jpg

On the way to Katra12.jpg

On the way to Katra13.jpg

The hotel - Devi Mahal

Katra hotel.jpg

View from the Balcony of the Vaishno Devi Hill at night

We had booked the helicopter for both to and fro for the darshan. We got ready by 8 am and reached the helipad. With the security checks and check in process, we boarded the helicopter for a four and half minute flying time to reach Sanjichatt Helipad. The bhavan is about 2.5 kms from here and walk for about 40 odd mins.

View from the Helipad

The darshan went on well and we reached back to the helipad only to find the services cancelled due to foggy conditions. We decided to wait for about half an hour to see if things cleared up, but it only got worse by raining from being just foggy. We got the tickets cancelled and started our walk back to the bottom of the hill.

How it was before the darshan

How weather Changes before.jpg

How it was after Darshan

How weather changes After.jpg

The rain ensure the helicopter services were cancelled

The place where the climb starts

We reached at around 6 pm and the hotel guy had come to pick us up. Went to the hotel room, popped a pain killer and myself and my wife went to the bazaar for a bit of shopping. The dinner was ready at the hotel by the time we were back. A tasty dinner and with stomachs full, we crashed on to the bed for a sound sleep.

The map - Amritsar to Katra

To be contd.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    12 people like this.
  4. nkrishnap

Linea 1.3
    Journey Leg 4 - Katra to Srinagar

We had about 280 kms to go to reach the hotel in Srinagar. We decided to start by 9 am to get as much time to enjoy the scenery around and also be prepared for any delays on the highway. We take the Udhampur instead of the Jammu road to save a few kms, however with the rain that pounded Katra the previous evening the road was closed due to landslide. Drove back via Jammu road and reached the Jammu Srinagar highway. Around 11 am we decided to have a brunch at hotel Singh Axis. After the brunch, refueled the car and headed towards Srinagar. A few photos enroute.

Udampur - Waterfall.jpg

Udampur 1.jpg

Udampur Falling Stones.jpg

Udampur Tunnel work.jpg

Udampur - Patnitop.jpg

Baglihar Hydro Electric Power Project

Patnitop - Dam.jpg

The Raging River

Patnitop - Raging River2.jpg

Patnitop - Raging River.jpg

Patnitop - River.jpg

Patnitop - Trucks.jpg

Patnitop - Highway.jpg

Patnitop - Hill below.jpg

Patnitop - Landslide.jpg

Patnitop - Falling Stone.jpg

Patnitop - Highway 2.jpg

Patnitop - Highway 3.jpg

Ramban 1.jpg

Ramban River.jpg

First View of Kashmir Valley

Kashmir - Valley.jpg

Kashmir - Valley2.jpg

Kashmir Valley view.jpg

The Green Tunnel

Kashmir - Green Tunnel.jpg

The traffic scenario between Anantnag and Srinagar

Srinagar Highway.jpg

Reached the Hotel, freshened up and we headed to the Dal Lake to see if we could get a boat ride. However, nobody in the gang was interested for boating. Instead we took a long walk on the Dal Lake banks after a bit of shopping in the government emporium.

Night view of Dal Lake

Dal Lake.jpg

After a not so good dinner, it was snooze time.

Journey Leg 4 Map - Katra to Srinagar

Katra to Srinagar Map.jpg

To be contd.
    7 people like this.
  5. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice pics:)...Congrats for the dream trip! Waiting eagerly for more.

Just a few queries:
    1. Before this trip, how much you had hill driving experience? Asking because I am also planning to do leh in sept but little bit apprehensive, as i have done only mussorie.
    2. Did you require topping up of engine oil and coolant?
  6. nkrishnap

Linea 1.3
    There is a twist in the tale. Its coming up in the rest of the log.

On point no 1: Hill Driving, I have covered most of the western ghats in all sorts of roads in these cars (Linea, Alto, Swift and i10). No prizes for guess which one I prefer the most. On why I mentioned that Linea fared better than my expectation is the terrain on offer in these mountains up north.

On Point no 2: None. Did not top up either engine oil or the coolant. The only thing I kept topping up was the windshield wash reservior.
    2 people like this.
  7. nkrishnap

Linea 1.3
    Journey Leg 5 - Srinagar to Kargil

We started off quite early by 8 am after having light breakfast towards the Shankaracharya Hill. The place is guarded by CRPF round the clock with very tight security. The CRPF in-charge at the check-post was from Calicut. On seeing the Karnataka registration number, he was curious to know more on why we were here. As the conversation stuck, we had a good conversation for about 15 odd mins. We were offered tea as well in the meantime. The camera and mobile is not allowed to the temple, so a few pics during the drive up to the hill.

Dal lake with the hill background

Kashmir - Dal Lake.jpg

Drive up the Shankaracharya Hill

Shankara Charya Hill.jpg

Shankara Charya Hill1.jpg

The view from the top is amazing and you can oversee the Dal lake and the city from here. Would look fantastic with all the color lit boats on the lake during night.

The next place was Ganderbal. On reaching there, we were told that due to security reasons no visitors are allowed. Dissappointed a bit, we moved on. With a little spare time on hand, found a car wash center and got Linea a well deserved bath.

Sonmarg Car Wash.jpg

The car was clean for the next 15 odd kms and it started to rain again. This got us some amazing views Something that needs to be experienced than explained. A few pics till we reached Sonmarg.

A bridge en-route

Sonmarg - Old Bridge.jpg

The threatening clouds

Sonmarg - Clouds.jpg

Sonmarg - Rain.jpg

Sonmarg - Rain 2.jpg

Srinagar to Sonmarg.jpg

Sonmarg - River.jpg

Srinagar to Sonmarg1.jpg

Sonmarg - Car.jpg

Sonmarg - Car2.jpg

We were so excited see this

Sonmarg - Snow.jpg

Nearing Sonmarg

Sonmarg - 1.jpg

Sonmarg Altitude

Sonmarg - Altitude.jpg

At Sonmarg

Sonmarg - 3.jpg

Sonmarg - 2.jpg

To be contd..
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    7 people like this.
  8. Did you get down to go near that glacier, paradise is an understatement this is some where close to haven.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Wow krishna, the sonmarg pics and a few before that are just like swiss. Awesome to be living there.
  10. venka

venka BANNED

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    6 people like this.