1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Dip in momentum when driving at a constant RPM.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by srida, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Off-late I am noticing this in my punto 90Hp. On the highways, when I maintain a constant RPM say 2000 or 2500, the momentum dips at regular intervals. It feels as if the fuel supply is cut off for a second. I couldn't feel this when varying the RPM, also this behavior is not connected to the speed. in the city drive, I seldom notice this but on highways it is very evident. initially I thought this is because of the road, the car might have gone over a patch work or on slippery tar. But since it was happening at regular intervals like every 1 minute, i sm suspecting the Fuel Filter or the Turbo Charger.

Any guess anybody ???
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

The same had happened with me too, thou mine is a 75bhp MJD. Everything was alright and it vanished after I got EGR cleaned. Now I also wont say if this is because of EGR but for me, EGR cleaning worked and there is no hesitation anywhere. To be exact it was like cruising on highway and for some seconds engine looses some power and then gets back to normal with a sudden rush, then again same thing repeats. All this cycle at almost fixed intervals, quite irritating.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. Thanks Sun. Will try EGR Cleaning and see how it works.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. jaggu916

jaggu916 Novizio

Coimbatore
    check for leak in turbocharger hose and the solenoid hose triggering the turbo...rat had bitten mine, felt the same 20131126_173850.jpg

rat had bitten the circled portions of the hose, hose going to solenoid & the hose from solenoid to the charger, u can see it taped, got it changed from CAI, coimbatore and the power was back to normal no lag or feel in power drop...in punto i guess this hose is beneath and not visible when you open the bonnet..andyways a checkup will rule out things...
    1 person likes this.
  5. Thanks jaggu, will get this also checked. How is service at CAI Coimbatore ?? I will be in Coimbatore tomorrow and planning to get this checked there along with EGR cleaning, Turbo intercooler hose cleaning. Is CAI a good place to get this done or I will get back to chennai and do it in Ramkay in january. On 1st and 2nd I will be travelling to munnar with famly, and it would be nice to have all these checked before the trip. I have 3 days inbetween. So how is your rating for CAI???
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Any updates ??
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am also facing this type of behaviour & very much dull torque
    from idle to 1500 RPM since last 32000 KM.

This may due to defective/leaky EGR. In this stage solonoid works correctly that's why no ecu error.
    If EGR is leaky excessive exhaust goes to intake & boost is by-passed .
    So air/fuel ratio changes in uneven manner.
    When there is uneven air/fuel ratio changes we get this ups & downs in powerflow.

Going to replace EGR then update.
  8. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

trivandrum
    Even I am facing the same issue. issue appears while cruising at a constant rpm . We can get issue while climbing a STEEP uphill in 1st gear with really smooth road. The mechanics couldnt find the SWEET SPOT as they couldnt keep there feel steady on the gas..:( .. But did EGR cleaning a couple of times saying its due to carbon deposit.. If thats the case i asked them to find the ROOT cause of this carbon deposition.. Also I am facing SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER during long drives.. The problem is that this is not predictable for the mechanic to understand the problem. Got irritated and left my car at the workshop for more than 15 DAYS and yet they are not able to find the problem... Complained with FIAT and each time they giving me a complaint number but no progress with the diagnose of the issue.. I am feeling very much irritated..:mad:
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Anjith100in & Srida
    I changed EGR. Problem solved. There is not any dip in momentum.Now getting constant torque.
    It shouldn't repeat. If it repeat I shall update
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.