1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A bitter experience

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Rituraj, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Guwahati is 320kms from my place. What if the car breaks down midway? Given the current condition, I doubt if it will endure a 320kms journey without any issues.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yep then maybe the only option is to get it inspected as mentioned in other thread.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its very hard to live with the lakhs of car, if you dont have service centre.Atleast FIAT should provide reimbursement for the diesel charges.i loved the days of TATA-FIAT JV when it comes to service centre.
    Rituraj and prabhjot like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They are in delusion Ganges if they think dealers could be happy selling Fiat cars. I know how may dealers are happy with Fiat or Nissan and others. Yet another time, I will suggest that it is best to appoint an authorized service point that can intake multiple car brands and give better service via Fiat mechanics and electricians.

The service point model is the best, and gives quicker resolution and is more welcoming and personalized service/attention depending on car history.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Absolutely right,but to find such service point is very hard.Either the automobile industry should go to a greater extent to provide service to their cars, like the ATM Centres :) Service.This is very hard to happen as all ends with Sales figure.

Finding a local mechanic is not a problem,but to find the right tools with them is a big problem.Getting spares is the another big problem.Previously i used to get few of them from 99rpm and get fitted through local mechanic without any issues or i used to go TATA service centre to get fitted(all in risk).

In service centre we expect clean and neat job.Due to lack of proper tools with local mechanic we cant expect the same.

if i had a proper service centre nearby i would have maintained proper service intervals.Since the day TATA FIAT Jv got broke up i stopped regular service intervals i'm doing it on my own.i feel the engine oil is only the main culprit for most of the failures,hence reduced the oil drain Kms from 15K Kms to 6k kms and maintaining the same.

I'm having a big mechanical list to get change in next year (ODO :- 1,22,235 Kms) :- Timing Chain,Clutch and all the Hoses.Thank god till now my Punto is doing well on all type of Highway and City run.
    Rituraj, cassini and prabhjot like this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Not that hard. Is Assam without an private garages without some 2-post lifts and some other essential tools? I mean if Mahindra is outsourcing vehicle maintenance services to private garages for FIRST CHOICE vehicles and Fiat already has done it very successfully in Mumbai (Kandivali), why not in Assam and various other states, where maybe volumes don't justify investments for Fiat as well as private players (for dealerships).
    prabhjot and Ganges like this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I never knew about First Choice for FIAT as well,then whats stopping them to follow this approach across the states.Strange.
    Customers are on toss.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Rituraj @Ganges

I did read a report from a Fiat owner about Mahindra First Choice now also servicing Fiats, she saw a Fiat spares price list put up at one of the East Delhi centres. Now, am sure that is not true of every First Choice centre in the country, and I do doubt that their service will be notably good, but it is worth exploring. Speak to Fiat on this, and contact your local First Choice service centre if there's one, too.

@asimpleson

It is ALL about money and rates of return. Outsourcing service to small ATM-like operations damages the dealers' margins from service, something a small car maker can ill-afford? In some places, even setting up a dealership and FASS is a losing financial proposition, for an assortment of reasons, as Rituraj seems to be discovering, to his difficulty and grief.
    Raj_pol, Rituraj and Ganges like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I also meant Mahindra would appoint certain garages that would provide support to used vehicles via First Choice, RS used to provide support, don't know if it still does. However, being a service point, they do not exclusively deal with Fiats, every once in a while some old customers bring their Skodas and Accords, Marutis too. Just that they don't advertise to seek for such other brand vehicles. They did't give anything in writing to Fiat too, I think.

Also Prabhjot for these ATM-like operations to damage margins and I totally agree on the concept, but where are the dealers, and how many can they manage to make it easier for states like Assam. The smaller service points can be a really great initiative to setup and dissolve where problematic, rather than setting up dealerships and firing them.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    In a bid to address the power loss problem once more, I decided to take my car to the same garage where it was resolved last year. After a casual inspection, everything seemed to be ok. The air filter and the fuel filter were removed and cleaned. The turbo pipes were examined and there were no apparent issues. The dirty fuel filter may have been the culprit. A longish drive will make things clearer.
    3.jpg

The wheels were removed and as expected, the brake pads seemed to have worn out quite a bit. However, the mechanic opined that the pads could be used until the next service. The pads and the disks were cleaned using a TVS-branded brake and disk cleaning liquid. Fortunately, these guys stock genuine brake-pads (priced at Rs 3500 for the set) and should be available during the next service.

clean.jpg
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, this garage (Oriental Motors) used to be an authorised Fiat service center during the pre-Tata-Fiat days. The old Fiat logo is still evident. Their proposal for being an authorised service center again is still pending with Fiat India. Wonder what's cooking! Nevertheless, this garage now claims to stock genuine parts, which they have collected from their 'channels' across the country.

2.jpg

That apart, I met a few Linea-owners who had come to this garage with different issues. A casual chat with them was enough to reveal their frustrations/hardships owing to the entire service scenario.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    prabhjot, jackharrisw and asimpleson like this.