1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A bitter experience

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Rituraj, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Dann

Dann Novizio

Sorry to hear about your travails with the car and Fiat.. Rituraj. I am a new owner of Fiat Punto Evo and I will not tolerate such indifference meted out to me by such a large multinational brand. I suggest you try approaching some consumer forum in Assam and try to get as many Punto owners, who face such issues, as possible on-board and try to settle it.
    Rituraj likes this.
  2. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

You made it much more clear asimpleson :)
  3. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

I really don't know what made you thing the post was rude.
    And regarding ignoring the ownership & focusing on the bashing. I've clearly started my post saying 'sorry to hear your situation'. And what I suggested is my opinion. What I would've done if Im in your situation. There are others who suggested you to move against Fiat in consumer court, talk with them to start at least a service centre etc. Similarly me too have an opinion & thats what I said. And here are few reasons why I said so.

1. Fiat is trying their best to regain the lost brand image. But obviously they'll focus more on regions where they have more business. Even if they start a service centre in Guwahati, travelling 600km in total for servicing isn't practically possible. And training an existing garage guys will help only in basic servicing. Availability of parts, other major repairs will all be an issue.

2. It'll always be a headache for you. Why should you do that knowingly when you can have a much more happy life.

3. Gave you a straight solution because I've been seeing lot of posts of yours in various threads in TFI & recently in T-Bhp. If you are a person who is ready to co-ordinate with the other Fiat owners in Assam & deal with Fiat, move against them in court, willing to fight etc, then its a good thing. Otherwise what I suggested you is one good thing you can think of.

4. As someone else mentioned, selling in Assam will be difficult as nobody will be interested to buy it. But with the help of your friends, or TFI members, you can sell it in other states. All they have to do is re-register the car. You'll get a decent price too. Me & my friends have done that many times as buying from Chennai or Pondicherry is always cheaper than in Kerala.

And please take opinions in the right sense. You started this thread to make others listen, share their opinions, suggestions, ideas. It'll vary from person to person.

Thank you.
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I have been in touch with a few other owners as well over this. That would have to be the last resort though. I hope Fiat doesn't leave us with no other choice.

There is this garage here in Jorhat called Oriental Motors. They used to be an authorised Fiat service center from the pre Tata-Fiat days. Their proposal for being an authorised service center again is pending with Fiat India. Apparently, Fiat isn't too keen on having independent service points outside of dealerships. This is what the owner of Oriental Motors has let me know. If true, the logic behind this is simply beyond me . :banghead:

Given the current scenario, I don't expect Fiat to come up with more than a solitary dealership. How a single dealer will handle such a vast number of Fiat vehicles from a state of this size is anybody's guess. How long that dealership will remain operational is another question that only time will answer. Before I get too far, though, that dealership first needs to see the light of day.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    punto11 likes this.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

Well FIAT had in many cities appointed 3rd party service centers when the marriage went sour.
    SO its not that they doing appoint independent service points outside dealership. Problem was that many times this 3rd party service centers became shoddy and caused bad name to company. So they are bit apprehensive.

None the less it makes no good for customer, he is still suffering :(
    This are practical nightmares that a not so successful company has to face along with very low sales.
    prabhjot and kailasmenon2000 like this.
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    More than the content of the previous post, it was the tone that seemed a bit mocking to me. Nevertheless, I will take your word.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Rituraj, much as you and your beautiful Punto are suffering: Fiat has no choice but to set up a proper dealer-ASS centre(s): that was the whole point of seperating from Tata. They simply cannot just hand their brand to some third-party mechanic workshop for warranties and service. That is tough on the folks in WB and Assam but that is what happens when people all over the country bashed Fiat by association with Tata, often unfairly and in an exaggerated way: like you in Assam I was never really dissatisfied with Tata ASS support for my Palio or the Family's 2010 Linea 1.4 Fire here in Gurgaon.

We cannot have it both ways guys: we just have to accept incidents like Fiat removing Garodia in Kolkata and the Guwahati dealer shutting down IF we are interested in a good dealer/ASS set-up that is sustainably and consistently adequate in the medium and long run.

Fiat owners in Kolkata have to grin and bear it till the new dealer and FASS comes up, which will be soon, apparently, the same for Guwahati/Assam. Nor can one expect, given the history of Fiat splitting from Tata, going solo etc (by popular demand) the geographical coverage that Tata used to/still does have.

The Fiat-owners in Assam and WB have fallen between two stools, I am afraid. But I guess new dealers in Guwahati and Kolkata are coming up soon, meanwhile rely on 99rpm.com for parts and go to that mechanic in Jorhat, or else DIY.

Wish Fiat had setup some sort of company-owned mobile service van setup for you guys in the interim, they SHOULD have!

Rituraj likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    The smaller service points have to buy and are provided equipment and training and their operations are overseen by Fiat. They even have to order and maintain important stock just the way the dealer does. They do get a complete set of tools, scanner, computers, training etc., before which they get the badge to operate, they are also needed to have a proper reception and customer lounge. All these things are pre-requisites by Fiat before Fiat officially lists them on their website and diverts customers to them via phone or email. It is running exceptionally well in Mumbai and it will work everywhere where responsible garages are trained and appointed. And also these are also overseen by Fiat, from perspective of service quality and issues similar to what they do to the dealers and bigger SCs.

And believe me they can be quicker and better than many dealers with their lengthy waiting periods and appointments etc. that sometimes gets to customers' nerves. Also they are equipped and authorized to solve complete set of car problems and they can do it (even better than most) as has been in this one case I am citing.

Yes there must be some good garages in every region to appoint as service point as they did in Mumbai (like RS Motors). No company will appoint a tom dick harry mechanic with half-baked knowledge and tools and no roof or systems of working.

The best part about appointing service points is giving them some training and spares etc. just the way they have done in Mumbai. Some existing garages do have the bare minimum infrastructure like a couple of two post lifts etc. for an intake capacity to service about 7-10 cars per day. Why can't this model work. Surely it will require lesser work and requirements than appointing dealers and big SCs.

http://teamfiat.com/reviews/item/r-s-motors-mumbai.43/discussion?page=2 - Post #16

This is a model Fiat should follow everywhere. If it is not possible to appoint dealers, they could atleast appoint competent workshops with trained staff to cater to customers especially in remote areas of India.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Really sad,from now on am also going with the Indian herd mentality,it is justified.
    Really sad that you can not take your car out with confidence after spending 6l.
    Shame on Fiat,you deserve your last place in the Indian market, well not even the last place.
    Rituraj likes this.
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    A classic case of Where there is a will, there is a way. Will is the keyword here.

VW, another manufacturer with limited number of dealers/service centers here, is managing far better. These few dealers offer what many refer to as "extension services" to customers that reside beyond their respective coverage areas. Perhaps the good number of Polos, Ventos and Jettas that I see around is testament to the way VW is managing things.

In contrast, I can recall the times when the erstwhile Green Valley Fiat, Guwahati just kept postponing the service camps that it was supposed to organise somewhere in the Upper Assam region. Those camps never happened and they just fled the scene later. That was the time when my car wasn't in the condition to be driven for 320kms and I was really looking forward to those camps.

Fiat can do far worse than take a leaf out of VW's service model. If the right intentions are there, Fiat can actually offer similar services even without a dealer, as someone had suggested above.