1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A bitter experience

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Rituraj, Sep 1, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    asimpleson and Rituraj like this.
  3. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Something positive, finally!
    The culprit behind the major issues with my car has been found. It's the EGR valve again. As mentioned in the past, the EGR valve was replaced under EW back in Sept. 2013 to deal with the power-loss problem. The replaced EGR too was faulty from day 1. Disconnecting the EGR instantly solves the RPM fluctuation issue and seemingly also the power-loss issue. Ofcourse, reconnecting the EGR brings those issues back. At least the culprit has now been found.

I have already written to Fiat India requesting them to send me an EGR valve under EW (valid till May 11, 2015). I don't expect them to send me one, but have given it a shot nevertheless. This is Mangesh Kodalkar's reply to my mail-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your communication & details shared .

Our dealer Mahesh Motors Guwahati will be rendering full-fledged service support from April -15 ( presently rendering basic & minor repair).Once we have all support system being installed & activated , we will extended required assistance & support , presently we will work on extending support at your place to resolve your concern .

Our RSM Mr. Bej will coordinate with Mahesh motors & revert back , requesting to please bear .

Dear Bej – We discussed on subject , requesting to coordinate & update .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I don't read much into his assurances, which in the past have proved to be false ones, I am happy to have atleast found a way forward. Meanwhile, driving the car with the EGR disconnected is pure bliss. The engine feels far more refined and responsive, without any issues related to jerks or power-loss or anything else that I had experienced in the past. Perhaps this is the way it's meant to be and the faulty EGR was the reason behind all the woes. Disconnecting the EGR does bring up the 'check engine' error, but that is to be expected.

One thing is for sure though, I am not going to reconnect the EGR valve as long as I don't find a new and fault-free one.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Superiore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Rituraj Just make sure that removing the EGR valve does not lead to other issues although I can understand your feeling at finally running the car the way it is meant to be.
    Rituraj likes this.
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Apparently, there shouldn't be much of an issue with the EGR disconnected.

Subsequent to his mail, I also received a call from Mr. Kodalkar. He mentioned that the EGR valve has already been dispatched to Mahesh Motors, Guwahati. After it arrives, the next course of action will be decided. In all probability, I would not be charged for it. Atleast, that's the impression I got from our discussion.

Let's see how this goes.
  6. Deepak

Deepak Superiore

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Rituraj : I had seen your posts in various forums regarding the power loss issue. Im happy that you are able to get rid of it. Kudos.
    Running the engine without EGR wont cause any damage?
    Rituraj likes this.
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Thanks @Deepak
    I am not sure whether there will be any major damage with the EGR disconnected. In any case, it's only disconnected temporarily.

Indeed, the power-loss problem has stayed away since disconnecting the EGR. It's too early to conclude things. The signs are encouraging though.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Deepak and punto_emotion like this.
  8. Deepak

Deepak Superiore

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    yes. But it may harm the environment :p :) Nothing to worry as you will be re fitting the same.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/gr/def_egr-valve.htm

Pros

• The EGR valve is vital to your car's emission controls. Exhaust gas recirculation helps to keep huge amounts of unburned fuel from being released into the atmosphere. This unburned fuel is thought to be a huge contributor to greenhouse gas build-up. That's why an EGR system became mandatory on all new vehicles some time ago.
    Cons

• When the EGR valve goes bad, it must be replaced. Unlike some emissions control devices that can go bad without affecting the drivability of the car or truck, a bad EGR valve can really affect the engine's performance, or even cause it to stop running altogether.
    prabhjot and Rituraj like this.
  9. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Rituraj

'Der aaye par.....'? Time for a drive across the many dangerous-border zones of the NE, with regular facebook posts at Fiat's page, not to mention here and that other forum? Take chances with your car, finally!, (and yourself) while Mahesh motors and FCA are 'promising' to 'take (at least some)care' of it......;). Bodoland? Nagaland? Nothing short of Arunanchal! The kind of dream-Fiat-drive the rest of us can only imagine taking...on the internet.:p

ps: as you can surely tell, i am not being sarci.:happy:
    Deepak likes this.