1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A bigger and a longer meet - after the Successful "Mini" meet

Discussion in 'Team Fiat Meets' started by PatchyBoy, Aug 19, 2013.

When & Where?

1. Oct 2nd to 6th

2. November 1st to 3rd

3. Others - Please post

4. Wayanad

5. Coorg

6. Pondicherry

7. Mahabalipuram

8. Murudeshwara & Netrani Island

9. Others - Please post

0 vote(s)
  10. Hampi

11. Goa

Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C_S

C_S Amatore

I would have loved to join this trip, but I made plans for a Madurai -Rameshwaram-Thanjavur with my family on these days, even before i got my car. Next time for sure..... Happpy Driving.

Best, CS
  2. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

I am afraid, I cannot make it to the meet aswell. Enjoy the meet guys and post loads of pics.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Looks like no one else is joining. So, here is the final list

1. Sat-Chit-Ananda + 2 - Punto 1.3 MJD
    2. Cubbie + 1 - Linea 1.3 MJD
    3. PatchyBoy + 1 - T-Jet Original (Ramjn - please note :))

The itinerary:

1st November -

05:00 AM - Group at NICE Road - Tumkur Road Junction
    11:00 AM - Arrive at Hospet - Check in @ Hampi International (Rooms already booked). Quick lunch.
    12:00 PM - Leave for Badami
    02:00 PM - 03:00 PM - Aihole
    03:30 PM - 04:30 PM - Pattadakal
    05:00 PM - 06:30 PM - Badami
    08:30 PM - Back to Hospet - dinner and rest

2nd November

Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary, Hampi and TB dam. Stay for the night at Hospet

3rd November

05:00 AM - Depart for Gokarna (Cubbie will be heading back to Bangalore)
    11:00 AM - Arrive at Gokarna. Check into Khushi Resort.

Rest of the day, wander aimlessly around Gokarna. Watch a star studded sky in the night.

4th November

05:00 AM - Check out and head to Sringeri
    10:00 AM - Arrive at Sringeri
    02:00 PM - Depart Sringeri
    09:00 PM - Arrive Bangalore

Route Map

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    4 people like this.
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Any surprise last minute entries ? I have space for 3 people in my car if someone wants to join from bangalore...
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

I can accommodate two people in my car as well.

6. Just trying to see what are must see places in hampi and skip some not so important ones as hampi is very big can't cover it even in one week.
    Hampi is packed with countless number of monuments & other attractions.

Vittala Temple : This temple complex dedicated to Vittala, a form of the Hindu god Vishnu is an architectural highlight of Hampi.

This temple campus contains many halls and shrines. The halls are noted for its extraordinary pillars with the animated carvings on it. A set of pillars, known as ‘musical pillars,’ resonates when tapped. A huge stone chariot complete with wheels carved out of stone stands in front of the main temple. The environment of this temple is packed with numerous smaller but ornate temples and a wide chariot street of the temple.

Virupaksha Temple: This temple dedicated to the Hindu god of destruction is located at a riverbank. Virupaksha temple is believed to be one of the oldest active temples (from 7th century AD) in India. This is a place equally sought-after by the tourists and the pilgrims. The temple complex consists of the god’s sanctum, pillared halls and a series of giant entrance towers. This is one of the fine places to witness the Hindu religious functions in close proximity.

Royal Enclosure: The seat of the erstwhile kings, this is a fortified campus. Royal enclosure is a sprawling area with the ruins of many stately structures. For example the Mahanavami Platform from where the king used to watch the annual parade of imperial majesty and military might. The area is packed with numerous palace bases, underground temple, aquatic structures and the likes.

Riverside trek Path: This is the path that connects the ancient Hampi Bazaar to the Vittala temple. Numerous shrines, carved artifacts, ruins of ancient structures are scattered all around along this path. For example the 1008 and 1008 Siva lings carved in a matrix like pattern on a sheet of boulder at the river shore.

Hampi Hemakuta Hill Temples: This hill is basically an expanse of rocky sheets with interesting undulations. A large number of pre Vijayanagara (the empire) temples of note are located in this hilltop. The highlights are the sets of triple chambered temples with its pyramid like granite roofs. This is an important mythological site in the local folklore. That explains the density of such temples on this hill.

Kadalekalu Ganesha: This is a giant statue of the elephant headed Hindu god Ganesha. According to Hindu Mythology, Ganesha is the god who is responsible for removing obstructions! This 4.6 meters (14 feet) tall sculpture id carved in situ on the slops of the Hemakuta Hill. The tall slender granite pillars with many mythological themes carved decorated the front hall of this shrine. Kadalekalu means gram seed in local language. The shape of this statue was the reason for this witty name for a god’s statue.

Sasivekalu Ganesha: This again is a giant statue of Ganesha located inside an open pavilion. The potbelly of the god is in the shape of mustard seed and hence the name (Sasivekalu means of mustard seed in the local language). This four handed god is a fine example of the Vijayanagara’s artistic skills.

Krishna Temple: This temple is dedicated to lord Krishna, one of the ten incarnations of lord Vishnu. In Hindu mythology Krishna is known for his romantic encounters and political shrewdness! This temple was actually dedicated to the lord in his infant (crawling) form. The complex consists of the main shrine, shrines of the goddesses, the chariot/market street and the temple tank. The main hall spots a series of pillars carved with mythical rampant creatures

Lakshmi Narasimha : This giant monolithic statue of the man-lion god is the largest icon in Hampi. Narasimha which is one of the ten avatars (incarnation) of lord Vishnu is depicted in a cross-legged seated position. It’s believed that the original image contained his consort Lakshmi sitting on his lap. This image was destroyed during the enemy invasion. Currently only a hand of the goddess resting on his waist can be seen.

Queen’s bath: This structure belongs to the royal area of the capital. Probably used by the courtly ladies or the king himself, this looks like an indoor aquatic complex. A large veranda with protruding balconies all around faces the central pool. This is one of the typical example of the Indo-Islamic hybrid architecture.

Lotus Mahal:This ornate structure was probably used by the military chief as his office or the queens of the palace as a pleasure pavilion. The pavilion spots Islamic architecture style arches and the roofs and base typical of Hindu temples.

Hazara Rama Temple : This was a private temple of the king. The temple is special with its exceptionally carved outer walls, an unusual feature in other Vijayanagara temples. The story of Ramayana (the Hindu epic) is impressively carved on all around the shrine walls like a comics strips on stone. The inner shrine contains four polished pillars with detailed carvings of godly themes.

Elephant Stables: That was the shelter for the royal elephants. This long structure is made of a series of chambers with domical roofs. Each chamber is big enough to accommodate two elephants. The central hall with an elaborated tower probably was used by the ceremonial band troop.

Pattabhirama Temple:This is a sprawling temple campus dedicated to lord Rama. The pillared halls are of special note. Tall mythical beats carved in the shape of a series of pillars.

Achyuta Raya’s Temple

Matanga Hill

Anjaneya Hill & Temple
    2 people like this.
  7. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

I think this will be a good route I know till Chitradurga the roads are fab to drive as it is NH4, post that it will be a state highway.

where will we stop for breakfast? I will get hungry by 7.30am !! ;)
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

I was thinking we may want to do this:

B'Lore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Hubli - Navalgund - Badami ----- Pattadakal - Aihole - Hospet
    05:00 ------------------------10:00 BF-----------12:00 Lunch---15:00------17:00---19:30

9. Makes sense , let us go this route only.you want start at 4 or 5AM?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.