1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A bad day..which could have been worse

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ancientmariner, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Last week started the day on an ominous note, when a stupid biker, who was on my left, suddenly decided to take a right turn and came right in the path of my car. I slammed the brakes and swerved to the right. Fearing the worst, got out of my car to see him lying on the road with his bike under my wheels. No injuries to him, thankfully. The people who had gathered there started shouting at the biker. in a land where the fault always lies with the bigger vehicle, that was music to my ears . My car had a few scratches near the front grill and patch of black paint. No dent whatsoever ( did someone say I was sitting in a tank :))A guy who was behind me mentioned 'your car is very good sir' . Donno if it was the car or my instinct that prevented a bad day from getting worse !! I presume ABS too had a part here.
    I covered up the minor scratches with a red permanent marker !!! Need to get it repainted soon. Donno how to remove the black patch on my bumper. It looks like bike paint. The car is due for its first service. Will check with them.
    I have driven the car for about 60 odd kms after this 'accident' . Didn't notice anything wrong except for one thing. Usually the fan ( under the hood) switches on after I stop the car. That doesn't seem to be happening. Will get that checked as well.
    I always dreaded this. My car finally got its share of the 'evil eye' :A It hurts :sad1
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats sad to hear. Good nothing happend to you and your car.
    Do get it quick cheecked at TASC.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Ancient mariner,

God saved you first and ABS did its job later !!

You had mentioned that the fan isnt operating after switching off the engine. Take immediate cared of that at TASC. Keep an eye on the temperature guage.There could be a cooling fan malfunction.

4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    :sad1 I understand marine. At least no one got hurt but hope the biker learnt a lesson not to repeat the same.

Many people do not have good driving sense. Especially bikers(me included at the front of the list). We enter wrong side of the road because we do not want to take a U-turn 300-400m ahead. I've done all this in my earlier days of driving(even till 1 year back). I see people do things like these everyday. I've already mend my ways. :helmet
    Here, our mind is the only GPS. People bring their cars to a halt in the middle of a cross road/round-about and then decide/discuss whether to go right/left or straight.

About the first scratch, Just imagine how my heart must have sank when my GP got scratched at dealership itself.
    Someone deliberately scratched my GP just before delivery. At three places. I was being explained some features by a mechanic when my father called me and here I was standing, watching a scratched GP near tail light. Nothing more heart breaking than this one.
    Then someone gave a scratch by hitting the handle of his scooter against the rear quarter when the stop-bars at railway crossing were lifted. Every 2 wheeler started moving and the cars were stranded. 2 wheelers up to 1km behind us cleared the crossing but we were still unable to move. Just no respect for fellow drivers.
    My GP was standing in a paint oven with 100Km on ODO.

Someone had scratched my Karizma on the very first day at college when I had bought it back in 2004. Later on, I came to know that this happened to at least two more people.
  5. Yep planning for this weekend. A week before my scheduled first service.
    Yes I can't thank God enough. On my drive back after the incident, I had prayer on my lips. Yday after I started the car after parking for about 15 mins, I got the message 'Excessive fluid temperature'. It went off soon as I moved. Anyway visit to the SC is in order this weekend.

Glad you mend your ways :) Well I drive a 2 wheeler too and I take utmost care while driving. I keep a decent gap from the vehicle in front ( yea !!) I hardly drive zig zag through the traffic. I take my own sweet time. Wish everyone on the road was sensitive to others.
    Your 'scratch' experiences are disheartening.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Sorry to hear this sad episode, ancientmariner. Try with Formula1/Waxpol/Meguiar's wax polish on the affected area. Usually, the external deposits vanish after polishing. Kerosene could also be tried.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Sorry to hear this. Hope the damage to the cooling system isn't bad. Get it checked soon.
  8. Sad to hear about your incident man. Hope nothing serious has happened to the car.
    Driving in Bangalore has become impossible without honking. Sometimes we got to honk in a futile attempt to make the other person not to cut into your lane. Hardly helps these days.
    Was driving home last Sunday morning around 8AM near St.Johns Hospital, Banglalore. Was waiting at the junction for the signal to turn green. When I just slotted the car into 1st gear and started rolling, this maniac on a cycle overtakes me from the right almost scraping the right side of the bumper and cuts immediately to the left most lane making me slam the brakes with a water tanker behind me. :mad:
    Was lucky not to hit him as there were cops standing nearby. Surely would have made a big hue n cry about it and make me cough out some money. Drove slowly towards that guy, rolled down the left front window and asked him in Kannada: "Planning to commit suicide eh? ".
    And the the response: gives a sly smile and tries to cycle even faster :A
    I was like, why am I even trying to put some sense into these guys heads :confused