1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

98 PCD Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Grandeur, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Try hottrack they have a looot of 98 pcd options.
    15 icnhers a set of 5 will cost 26k approx, 16 inchers a set of 4 will cost 31k..the designs are pure drool stuff

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  2. BlueJay

BlueJay

Bangalore
    Thanks Wolverine Arnab! I asked them for 17 inchers and they quoted 58k starting rate, which was a bit steep for me.. looking for some alternatives in Bangalore. Let me know if you know anyone else, please.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    17 inchers in 4 bolt 98 PCD pattern are very hard to find. I doubt if anyone apart from Hot Tracks will have it. Given the number of FIATS (read 98 PCD exclusive club) on the road and the number of owners of these cars looking at aftermarket alloys, it does not make economic sense to stock them. Your only alternate option would be to import, which might prove even more expensive.

Just curious, what tyre dimensions are you planning on the 17 inchers?

Rajan
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay

Bangalore
    Rajan,

Thanks for your message. I'm quickly realizing that too! I was considering a 205/45 R 17 - Hadn't really decided on brands. I just know that I won't be getting Yokohoma's (had a terrible experience with them for my Honda City).
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That is a major reduction in the tyre profile. Might result in very poor ride quality. Internationally, Linea with 17" OE alloys are shod with 205/50 R17, but the road conditions are far better over there. That is one reason, why I am still dilly dallying between 16" and 17"

Rajan
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    17" is a big no no if you ask me..
    Indian roads are just not suited for a low profile like 45.
    50 is where i would draw the line if pushed really really hard but 55 is where i would like to stay.

Secondly, there isn't much in terms of aesthetics between 16 and 17" IMO. And finally 17" tyres are too damn expensive and if you again want to go in for good branded tyres you will be looking at spending 30-35K on tyres (set of 4)
    1 person likes this.
  7. BlueJay

BlueJay

Bangalore
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. My thought was that if I'm going to spend on new alloys and tyres [4 each] - might as well upsize from my current 15" OEM alloys to a 17" at least. Using the same logic from "theblack" - moving from 15" to 16" didn't give me enough aesthetic improvement for my buck.

Now, however I'm thinking twice about any change. Just spoke to "Bharatj85" and he says friends of his moved to 16"/17" 98 PCD and still had wobbles/vibrations at high speeds. He recommends staying with fiat OEM alloys.

I'm so confused!
  8. I am in a similar situation buddy..but to add to your confusion I would suggest you have a look at the fiat linea/tjet 15/16 inch alloys..
    Wobbling shouldn't be an issue then..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Bluejay - There are many variables involved with tyre / rim upsize. There is something called "Plus one concept" - Basically, each time you add 1 inch to the wheel diameter, add 20mm to the tyre width and subtract 10% from the aspect ratio. This compensates nicely for the increases in rim width that generally accompany increases in diameter too. By using a larger diameter wheel with a lower profile tyre it's possible to properly maintain the overall rolling circumference, keeping odometer and speedometer changes negligible.

However, there is more to it than just tyres and rims. You have to obviously consider PCD, offset, alloy bore diameter Vs. hub diameter, correct specification spigot rings, etc. to have a trouble free upsize. If you are keen on 16", then going for OE alloys, with OE spec tyres - 205/55 R16 would guarantee the best possible fitment. But if you are keen on aftermarket alloys, I would suggest you do a lot of research before you swipe that card of yours. Our own Royj's thread about after market alloys is a great place to start.

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    TFIan Aniket has covered nearly 70,000km's in his Punto riding on 17" wheels. No complaints. Same goes for TFIan Phew as well. You can read both of their experiences here on TFI only.

For aesthetic purposes, go for it. But remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch. :)

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.