1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

98 or 100 PCD?.. Still not confirmed!

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by mindsipn, Nov 18, 2011.

1. mindsipn

mindsipn

Bangalore
    Hello Team,

I know this has been discussed already, here on T-Fiat and on other online forums. But still no conclusion drawn on the question wheather GP has 4x100 or 4x98 ? I m thinking about changing my stock wheels to alloys in near future. So doing some online digging but havent any concrete answers as yet. I have found in some places that the PCD of the wheels are 100 and not 98 !!

Here are some link which says Grande Punto is 100 PCD and not 98 !! :confused:

http://www.alloywheels.com/search.asp?strSize=15"&strSort=Low&pos=1&Make=Fiat&Model=Punto Grande 06>

pcd and cener hole (bore) - The FIAT Forum

Singapore No. 1 Car Forum & Car Club - MyCarForum > Rim PCD for different car makes..contribute!

Has anyone got any offical confirmation from FAIT about GP wheel's PCD? I called up FIAT Helplline they asked me contacnt the Dealer for infor..Duhh ??

I have also read that upgrading tyres from 165/80/R14 (Active) to say 195 / 65 /14 leads to ODO errors and also leads to less milage, but then again E+ comes with 195 / 65 / R15, so how can here be a difference in the readings or milage?? So does E+ gives less milage than an Active variant ??
    Or Does E+ ODO are configured differently for 195 / 65 / R15? (I know these are really stupid questions but I need to know :D)

And Finally will changing to after market alloys say 98 PCD (if GP has 98 PCD wheels) and 195 / 65 / R15 void the suspension warranty?

Thanks in Advance Guys,

PS. Mod please merge this thread to existing one if required.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Have no doubt about the PCD of GP in India. It is 4X98mm. I have measured it with vernier calipers and found it to be 98mm.
    Have a look through this thread for more information.
    GP in Europe released after 2006 or so seems to have 100PCD which is causing the confusion in different forums. :confused:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. mindsipn

mindsipn

Bangalore
    Hi Roy

Thanks so much for your reply!Wow... I have gone through your thread and found it very informative one indeed! Thanks for putting in effort and posting it. By the way I love your alloys too. Just a Quick Question : Why didnt you go for 15" Alloys? isnt that what every one chooses when they upgrade to alloys ? Are you using the stock tyres (165/80) or have upgraded them?

And Could you please shed some light on these doubts I have :
    Upgrading tyres from 165/80/R14 (Active) to say 195 / 65 /14 leads to ODO errors and also leads to less milage, but then again E+ comes with 195 / 65 / R15, so how can here be a difference in the readings or milage?? So does E+ gives less milage than an Active variant ??
    Or Does E+ ODO are configured differently for 195 / 65 / R15? (I know these are really stupid questions but I need to know )

Will changing to after market alloys say 98 PCD (if GP has 98 PCD wheels) and 195 / 65 / R15 void the suspension warranty?

Thanks Again,
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Why didn't I go for 15" alloys?
    There were several reasons most of them specific to me.
    1. I did not find designs that I liked in 15"
    2. I had heard a lot about alloys bending in our road conditions so wanted to use higher profile tyres
    3. Didn't have the money to change all the tyres and the alloys together
    All these together formed a compelling reason to stay with 14" wheels.

I own an early model of GP Emotion (Aug 2009) and stock tyres are 175/70 R14 and still using the same. I plan to upgrade to 185/70 R14 when the current ones wear out and I would recommend the same for you as well if you are staying with 14" rims.

Coming to Odometer errors and tyre sizes, I do not have any authentic information and the reply is based purely on some assumptions and some logic built on top of those assumptions.

It is absolutely certain that there will be changes in odo and speedo readings when the tire diameter changes, but then what is the standard diameter with which the odo and speedo are calibrated?

My assumption is that the odo in GP is calibrated with the tyre size of GP E+ i.e., 195/60 R15 and there are no separately calibrated instruments for Active, Dynamic, Emotion and plus variants.
    This would mean an error of 0.75% on the Active variant (165/80) and -2.35% error on Emotion with 175/70 R14 tyres.
    Using 195/65 R14 will result in an error of -0.95% from the 195/60 R15.
    So a change from 165/80 R14 to 195/65 R14 will result in a difference of about 1.7%

When the tyre diameter reduces, the measured fuel efficiency (FE) will increase because you measure that you have traveled longer while in reality you didn't, and conversely, the measured FE will decrease when the tyre diameter increases because you measure that you traveled less, while in reality you had traveled more. (Assuming that you use the odometer figures to calculate the distance traveled and not the actual distance between two points.)

However you need to maintain a higher engine rpm for reaching the same speed at a given gear when the tyre diameter is less and the converse is true when the diameter increases. So I am not sure how the interplay of these factor affect the net FE.
    Having said that, the differences due to these are really small and much higher variation in FE is introduced by the driving style and traffic conditions. So practically you may not notice much difference.

Suspension warranty can be voided by the service center if you use any alloys other that OEM ones. However I have noticed that it also depends on the service center and the service adviser and the relationship you maintain with them. They can use it as a reason and they can also choose to ignore it as well.

Hope these answers your queries to your satisfaction.
  5. mindsipn

mindsipn

Bangalore
    Roy,

Thank you a so much for the reply. That was very well explained and was very helpful indeed!

You have a Great Day!!

Cheers!
  6. One thing I noticed when i was reading the Punto Manual. The tyre size/ profile for the Active and Dynamic are same where as it is different for a "Emotion" (Radius 14 with a different profile than active and dynamic).
    I always wanted to check and compare the tyres from emotion and active version..

Has any one information on this ?
    Till i read the manual i had an impression that the tyres for Active, Dynamic and Emotion are same..only the EP and 90BHP comes with a 15 rim.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    When GP was introduced back in 2009 the sizes were as follows:

Active: 165/80 R14
    Dynamic: 165/80 R14
    Emotion: 175/70 R14
    Emotion+: 195/60 R15

Now I believe Active, Dynamic and Emotion comes with 165/80 R14
    and Emotion + comes with 195/60 R15