1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

76 hp or 90 hp punto mjd???

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sundar1900, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    Hi,

I am now confused between 76 hp or 90 hp. If I have to really stretch hard to get 90 hp so I am very carefully evaluating if I really need that. It may be easy to say 90 hp is always better than 76 hp on paper. But my every penny should be worth for that and though it is better i want to see if i really "need" that much.

Let me put my requirements...If 76 hp will also satisfy the below points I am OK with it. but if it could not I will go for 90 hp

1) I will drive 70% of the time in city and once in two moths I will go for a big trip, probably 1000-1500 Km round trip on good highways
    2) I need to go occasionally beyond 150 Kmph with 5 people on board and want to touch 160 Kmph rarely for a moment.
    3) Is the FE same in both? Slight difference would not matter
    4) Is cabin noise more in 76 hp compared to 90 hp?
    5) Is there any other problem with FGT engine?
    6)I came acrosss this blog http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...t-drive-fiat-punto-multi-jet-vgt-90-hp-3.html
    It says very bad on 90 hp...comment pls
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Who is this arrogant ignorant schmuck on what-ever Team FWK he is bullshitting about?
    He looks another Chinese spy. I know there are no cockroaches & rats where you spies live, because you love eating them.
    Stay pin drop silent & try riding a bicycle first Mr. auto enthusiast, else papa may slap the crap out of you:mrgreen:.

Sundar, Calling 76 HP would be ridiculous as it's more than perfect what ever one asks for. Still price difference being in the range Rs. 30000, why not grab those 15 extra horses? Obviously there is difference worth the money but it doesn't make 76 HP even 0.01% inferior to anything else. With 90 HP, You will be noticeably quick in hopping succession among higher ranges like 120-160kmph or 130-180kmph or 110-190kmph;). If you don't want to cross 100kmph, even then it's fine as you will back up yourself psychologically.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. Anish_A

Anish_A

Bangalore
    Hi Sundar

All your requiremnets can be met using a 75HP MJD. I picked up my 75 HP abou a week back and before that did a test drive of almost 14 cars before i nailed the 75HP Punto.

I have taken the car over 160 during my test drive with 4 people on board so i believe it moves pretty fast.

For me Punto 75 HP is 1st 2nd 3rd and then the fun starts................u will not realise how u reached 120 in no time, no other car does it better.

With 90HP the fun almost doubles............Had i the money and the amount to spend on the diesel i would have opted for the 90HP. (Relative mileage is also low on the 90HP)

For now i'm happy with 75HP.

Anish
  4. If you can afford for a VGT then go for it. It is better than FGT in the sense you will surely feel the additional 15 Horses. But that dosent mean FGT is bad. There is for sure a noticeable difference.

1. Highway trip, Once in 2 months or twice everyday or whatever, if you want enjoy the linear surge, the is it 90 HP.
    2. Both FGT and VGT are capable of touching 160 +. I have done 175 KMPH max in my 90. VGT makes it a bit easier than FGT is what my guess is. I havent done 120 + in a FGT.
    3. And for the mileage my 90 horse chariot drags me to 15 KMs per liter in City. And not less than 19 in the highways. In city I don't cross 2K rpm and no hard acceleration.
    4. Not Sure
    5. Nothing specific to FGT. Almost all the issues (read it as niggles) are common. In my 90HP I occasionally face performance issue. Like the car feels slower than usual. But that gets rectified itself. And I don't notice that often because most of my ride is in City when I don't push more than 2 K RPM.
    6. That is a Bad place for Fiat related references.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Sundar,

76HP is sufficient enough for your requirements. But, if you don't really mind spending another 40-50k then go for the mighty 90.

My comments.

1) I will drive 70% of the time in city and once in two moths I will go for a big trip, probably 1000-1500 Km round trip on good highways
    76HP will suffice.

2) I need to go occasionally beyond 150 Kmph with 5 people on board and want to touch 160 Kmph rarely for a moment.
    76HP can easily do 160. It will get strained beyond this speed. 90HP would be comfortable if you want to go beyond 160.

3) Is the FE same in both? Slight difference would not matter
    Almost same.

4) Is cabin noise more in 76 hp compared to 90 hp?
    90HP had better NVH before 2012. With the new 2012 models, 76HP itself is as silent as the 90HP.

5) Is there any other problem with FGT engine?
    Problem? What do you mean?

6)I came acrosss this blog First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP - Page 3 - Team-BHP
    It says very bad on 90 hp...comment pls
    Nothing to blame the reviewer here. You need to feel and bond with a Fiat to know it better.
    Here are some comments about the Punto from the same reviewer.

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review - Page 200 - Team-BHP

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched - Page 30 - Team-BHP
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. i think for sundar, the 75 HP will suffice. he could shell out more money if he's got, but i think 90% oh his drives, he wouldnt require those 15 horses.

90 HP if:

1. after buying the car, he plans more weekend highway trips like, every two weeks, i recommend 90HP. 90HP comes handy only when u use those extra horse powers more frequently.

2. he is passionate about high speeds, and added power.

if his answer is No for both, get the 75.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Both cars can be taken to highway as frequently as possible. 90HP doesn't offer any extra comfort on highway drive. However, if you are a spirited driver and would like to exploit the MJD to the maximum possible extent then choose 90HP (of course if you have budget).
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I've driven the 75bhp one quite a fair bit (in city and on highway) and it's perfectly suitable to any purpose you put it to. Be it city driving or highway touring. The 75 does not lack in any department.

That said, if the 90 fits your budget, then go for it. The 90 should pull harder than the 75hp at the higher end of the rpm range (Like the Linea D). That's probably the only difference there is.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    In 76HP max torque develop early(1750 rpm) compared to 90HP(2000rpm).
  10. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    76 hp seems to be enough for me considering my budget and my requirement.

MODS NOTE - Kindly refrain from asking queries which are directly or indirectly related to street-racing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.