1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

6 Day road trip plan

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Nithrath, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    Friends,

We are planning to do a road trip for 6 days. Totally we have 9 days at disposal including the weekends. But, i'm planning for just 6 days so that we have a buffer of 3 days for rest or unpredictable.

So, We are group of 4(+1 tentative). I am still contemplating between my own 2012 Punto or hire a self drive hired Innova.

Need inputs/suggestions on what all places can be covered in this duration. Night driving on alternative days is not a problem. But, i wish to have at least 4 night halts so that we have proper rest to enjoy the successive days.

Thought 1: Limit just to south india
    Thought 2: Drive to 7 sister states of india (Not sure if there is anything worth spending so many days)
    Thought 3: Detailed Rajasthan & Gujarath tours (Franckly, Amitabh's endorsement on Gujarat Tourism is very impressive, especially the Kutch part :) )
    Thought 4: Anything else you guys suggest.

And yeah, the plan is to this road trip in mid-july, so that the monsoons are not in full strength and simultaneously summer would have sub-duded.

Thanks in advance
  2. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Being a Keralite, I would suggest you to do a Kerala trip. The reason I say is because Kerala has variety of tourist spots unlike most other states. For eg. it has eco tourism in Wayanad, Backwaters in Kumarakom, Aleppey, Tea gardens in Munnar, beautiful locales in Fort Kochi, Great temples in Thrissur, Historical forts in Kazargod, Wildlife tourism in Thekkady, Waterfalls in Athirappalli & the list goes on and on. Another biggest advantage is the variety of foods you can have. If you have 6 days, you could do a north to south travel :)
    2 people like this.
  3. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
  5. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    Kailasamenon & aruncep!

Thanks for the responses. I was out of town and could check the response only now. Sorry for the delayed response.

The kerala idea seems to be fine. But, how are the road conditions in kerala now? I heard of many reviews on roads of kerala.

And also, i feel to cover more places as much as possible in these 6 days. I mean...few but important places in multiple states. Suggestions friends?
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  6. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    As of now the road conditions in Kerala is pretty good. Here are few details from my drives recently.

Palakkad - Thrissur has recently tarred road. Average road
    Thrissur - Cherthala - 4 way. Great road
    Cherthala - Aleppey - 2 way. Good road
    Aleppey - Ambalappuzha - Bad road
    Ambalappuzha - Trivandrum - 2 Lane , Good Road
    Calicut - Thrissur - 2 lane,Good road
    Kottayam - Chengannur - 2 lane, Average road
    Chengannur - Trivandrum - 2 lane, Great road
    Malappuram - Thrissur - 2 lane, Good road

I don't have any idea about the roads in Kazargod, Kannur, Wayanad, Pathanamthitta

- - - Merged Post - - -

Pls tell your starting point. Accordingly we can suggest.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    Kailasamenon!

Its going to be Hyderabad.
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Good roads in Wayanad (as of May 2013) and Pathanthitta (as of Jan 2014). Last time when I was in Kannur (2010 Jun), the roads were good. No idea of Kasargod.

Please note that the roads in Kerala are good, they will be full of vehicles (mostly unruly). If you want to cover 400 kms + some places in a day, then you will have to drive late in the night or early in the day to avoid traffic.
    3 people like this.
  9. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    Thanks Limraj for the info.

Any other suggestion friends? The time is fast approaching and i am still in finalizing the locations.

Ride: Maruthi Dzire (facelifted)
    How many guys: 5
    Total time in hand: 8 days
    When: July 1st week, 2014
    Starts from: Hyderabad

JRavi sir! As you have covered most part of india in your Linea, any advice from you?
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Looking at the trip date i.e mid July, Kerala wouldnt be a good idea is it? Coz rains will be lashing Kerala and will be heavy during July making driving a bit more un predictable. IMO you should be looking at Central India like Madhya Pradhesh where the monsoons arrive a bit late but cant say anything about roads. Havent heard MP having good driveable roads, I may be wrong here.

Or you can drive upto the traditional tourists spots like Shimla, Manali with the winding roads making for a challenging trip. Covering North east will be exhausting and 9 days would be less I feel. One more suggestions, you can do the Golden Quadrilateral just for the sake of driving fun. This way you can cover many states, check out the definitive forum for more details.
    1 person likes this.