1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

5K Kms in my New Punto2012, still cant stop!!!

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by shakthesh, Jun 7, 2012.

1. shakthesh

Hi Fellow Fiat lovers,
    I am Dr Shakthesh, an ENT surgeon based in chennai. I ve always been a fiat fan since the days of fiat padmini.. But finally my dream to own a fiat came true on 30.03.2012. I was in a dilemma between Skoda Rapid and Punto(odd to compare both??). But then budget constraints and my gut instincts pointed to the Punto.. So i got my Tuscan wine Fiat punto 2012 1.3 MJD Emotion...
    I was dying to get a chance to take her on a long drive, got the opportunity in the second week of april.. CHennai to Coimbatore (520 Kms) , took nearly 7hrs 30 mins, but made it to salem in 3 hrs!!! God I felt redeemed during the drive, what a car:D . The fiat customer care people assured me its ok to take her to 120 kmph before first service, SO we drove, fantastic handling, great cornering behavoiur(never ever felt so confident in curves), The gear ratios are perfect. The suspension is absolutely spot on... The brakes let you know that they ll the stop the car where and when u want to stop.. the increased ground clearance in the 2012 is a fantastic move, gives a feel of driving a SUV type vehicle and take my word you need not bother about any potholes that Our roads throw at us..
    The improved A/C system is another great plus, Even in the Harsh Chennai summer the car cools down in a flash.. and what more it doesnt make you feel claustrophobic( thanks to the smart auto ac system),MY wife who used to complain when i switch on the ac in my old car instantly liked the punto for this feature..
    It was may 31 , but my odometer was showing 5k!!! after two trips to and fro Dindigul.. I ve pushed it till 150 kmph but even at those speeds the punto lets you know that she is firmly rooted to the ground and the power steering assures that you got perfect control just in any case... The music system is good enough.. The Blue and me is an absolute blessing for a person who needs to take and make calls on the move..
    A few cons,
    1. TATA service , the person who cleaned the car after the service used a wet coarse torn towel to clean the car:eek: (Praying that fiat service soon comes to chennai)
    2. A whoosh kind of sound when you are cruising is audible in the cabin with windows closed( ANY reasons? any siggestions??)
    3. the USB port is pain to plug and unplug and it also decreases the glove box space
  2. soori

The sound is common. This is due the design of OVRMS. However, after 110 km/h the engine sound becomes boomy too.. The car needs a 6th gear.
  3. Congrats Shakthesh for owning the beauty ...
    Which color is your car ? Please find some time to take few snaps and post it over .In any shade , punto is a true treat to eyes too .
    As you observerd punto is a highway car . The more you drive her on highway the more you get addicted ..
    Enjoy the drive .

4. Anish_A

Congrats Dr Shakthesh on your new Punto........The sound is due to the design of the ORVM's........that is a draw back in my view. :(.
    A lot of FIATians would disagree though.

But it is one of those drawbacks which covers a whole lot of good things of this Car. :)
    I guess we have to live with it.

Frankly when i was TDing this Car i didn't feel it coming but when i drove my Punto the "vooooo" sound was audible inside the cockpit :(.
    I actually felt that the pre 2012 models which slopped down more was even better with looks but the 2012 having a better Road Clearance has it's own advantage. :)

Happy PUNTOing have Fun n Drive safe.

5. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Linea 1.3
    Welcome Doc. to TFI and congrats on your new possession.
    Why don't you post some pics of your beauty.
    The USB is indeed a pain to plug but many say it is better to be hidden for the children can't fiddle with the pen drive.
  6. ops

ops Amatore

Punto Abarth
    A few cons,

3. the USB port is pain to plug and unplug and it also decreases the glove box space

You can use extension cord for usb of about a foot length.
  7. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome to TFI..i am about to do 5K and like u too.... i am also addicted to my Punto......
    I am using USB extension cable......for the USB....i also hear wind noise in cabin at speeds>100k
  8. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Welcome to TFI..

the wind noise is caused due to the right wing mirrors..because.. try drving with the mirrors folded.. the sound is less..
    for me the noise starts at 80km/hr
  9. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Are u sure that sound is because of ORVM...even I had thought so..

I had asked TASS to remove bredding on driver side door & re-fit..now I do not hear noise at 140 kmph too..

Also,notice that no noise is heard at front left seat...

Moreover,that ORVM looks so aerodynamic..

Try above...
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

Hi colleague,hearty congratulations,but,please stop at signals atleast!!!
    The wind noise from the orvm is due to it placement in the door,unlike in the other cars where it is placed in the quarter glass,so since it's very close,the noise is higher,bad designing I would say,but am sure it wouldn't lead to any hearing loss!!!