1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

4 Day Trip: Madurai - Thiruchendur - Papanasam Hills - VaanaTheertham Falls -

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by srida, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Drive from Madurai - thoothukudi was Deep Footed. I couldnt control myself. Surprisingly, My wife didn't mind the speedo figures. She got excited and started taking pictures of the Speedo Needle.

Lunch for Ma Senuthi
    DSC03577.jpg

Any Suggestion for a Caption ???

DSC03585.jpg

Few Road Shows

DSC03592.jpg
    DSC03593.jpg
    DSC03594.jpg
    DSC03578.JPG
    DSC03579.jpg
    DSC03580.jpg
    DSC03591.jpg
    3 people like this.
  2. Speedo Needle got excited too

140 +
    DSC03587.jpg

150 +
    DSC03589.jpg

160 +
    DSC03595.jpg

Almost 170
    DSC03597.jpg

Mods Please delete this post if it is Unethical to post speed Figures in the forum
    5 people like this.
  3. And the Trip Details for Madurai - Thoothukudi streach alone. Trip Meter A is and will be untouched till the end of the 4day trip. I reset trip B for split journey.

DSC03599.jpg

Too Bad

DSC03600.jpg

DSC03601.jpg

DSC03602.jpg

DSC03603.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    3 people like this.
  4. Thoothukudi to Tiruchendur, road was not that Good. But Ma Senuthi managed that very well. We reached Thiruchendur By 7 PM. Rooms were already booked by My Father-In-Law's colleague. Got Refreshed in few minutes and started to the Temple. Again Crowd and Sweat inside the temple. This temple has become one of my favorite temple next to Thiruvannamalai. The temple is located on a Sea Shore. Since it was dark I couldn't capture the scenery.

A Salt factory (Uppu Allam, i didnt get the right word for it) In Thoothukudi
    DSC03605.jpg

DSC03609.jpg

DSC03610.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

DSC03615.jpg

Dad and Son

DSC03611.jpg

DSC03612.jpg

Our Stay at Tiruchendur

DSC03626.jpg

DSC03627.jpg

My car Longest

DSC03629.jpg

DSC03630.jpg

View of the Temple tower from our room Sit Out / Balcony

DSC03635.jpg

Now we got the Sad news. The Electricity Board Guest House, that was booked for us in papanasam has been allotted to some senior officials who are gonna visit there for some audit. The cancellation for our booking was done based on Priority to the audit people. Without a Stay there, no use of going there. So we have cancelled the Papanasam trip.

My wife jumped in and gave us a new plan. Kodaikanal it is. She is yet to visit that place and used this as a nice opportunity. I am not that interested in this place since the drive is gonna be too hectic and my dad may not be comfortable driving his swift on those steep ghats. But My dad is all OK for it. The plan is confirmed 95 %. Now my worries are, we have not booked a stay for us in Kodai. Also I have no idea about that place. Finding a stay after reaching there is not a good idea but still everybody else are confident in finding a nice stay. So I have to go by them. Skeptical about the hectic drive. Later I convinced myself that I have a Fiat, I shouldn't worry about anything and just drive in the path that comes on our way, everything else will be taken care by the car. Our Unplanned plan is taking more twists and turns.

We are done with the temples. Now We want to go to some hill station and have a pleasent stay for atleast 1 night. So kodaikanal or moonar are the only options. If anyother locations anybody know near to Thirunelveli, Madurai or Thoothukudi, your suggestions are most welcome.

Thats it for Day 2. We are not sure where we are going for day 3 but still its gonna be a journey on a Fiat, that will make the difference.
    5 people like this.
  5. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Srida the meter readings is sure a teaser picture . WAW Punto rocks.

108Kmph avg oh thats great and this is first time i am seeing this much figure in TFI and sad your mileage have come very low. sure that you would have enjoyed the drive :)
    for car parking they have kept mosaic , its rare to see
    1 person likes this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Yes Vijay. 108 is some thing special. Only a stable vehicles like punto/Linea can give that in our road conditions. Also better half capturing 160+ means even at that speed the vehicle might be giving such a confident to the occupants. I never take that speed but I have to appreciate punto for it's abilities.

In the picture of punto vs swift it looks like swift is behind punto and saying "Tell me please, how you are managing in curves?"

Srida, excellent post.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. Actually I did 130 Kms in 1 Hr 4 Minutes. I was waiting in a tollgate for 5 - 10 minutes idling. All of a sudden the AVG speed came down from 118 to 108. Yes the drive was the enjoyablest.... when I was going at 160 + the feel was like 120, that was the best part.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

My wife usually complains that I am going too fast eveen at 100 or 110. She says the car really doesn't mask the speed and she could guess the speed I am going without looking at the speedo. But after 120 KMPH she says the masking is fantastic. At 160 she felt like 120 and encouraged me to go high speed to check how far the masking is effective.
    3 people like this.
  8. Day 3: Even early in morning, we were not sure where to go. I called up few hotels and resorts in Kodaikanal to check for availability. Though few resorts had rooms, they were costly like 4000 - 6000 Per day. We wanted 3 rooms, so the budget went too high. Budget hotels also doesn't make sense. Fortunately the EB officer from papanasam called my dad and said, Forest Department has got few cottages and we could try that. So our plan to kodaikanal started fading away. One main reason being the time we are gonna spend there. it was 10 o clock at tiruchendur when we were all ready. We would reach Kodaikanal by 5 o clock. There is no use in staying there for one night and starting back to chennai next day 12 PM. So the Kodaikanal plan was dropped and we headed towards Papanasam. If we dont get any cottage, just do some sight seeing and come back.

Started From Tiruchendur - Thirunelvelli - Kalladaikurichi - AmbaSamudhiram - papanasam - Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve. The route was not superb but good. Surprisingly the forest officers were so kind and polite. Usually they dont talk to us looking at our face and most of the answers would be Yes or No. But this time they were so nice. After My dad told them about his So and So designation in TNEB, the officer asked his family to vacate a cottage they were staying, since we requested him a cottage which is kind of seperated from the crowd. Finally we got Chittal Cottage. Time was 5 O clock in the evening. We were told the boating to Vanatheertham Falls will be closed, but we can go and spend time at the Karayar Dam by that time the rooms will be cleaned and ready. The canteen guy accepted to cook Parota, Idly and Chicken Gravy for the dinner at 930 PM. After visiting Karayar Dam, we came back to our rooms at 7 O clock.

At 8 O clock, I stared feeling bored, so took my wife with me for a safari inside the jungle. We didn't spot anything big that time other than Mangoose and Sambar Deer. But the safari was thrilling since only we two were on the road throughout. After finishing the Superb Dinner, we again set out for a Safari inside the jungle with my parents and in laws. The forest guys told they get us a guide who would carry a big focus lamp to spot tigers and leopards. My dad was interested in Bear since he has seen tigers and leopards many times and bear once or twice. We waited for the guide till 1130 PM and then we decided to go on our own.

Just few KMS inside the jungle, we were welcomed by a baby bear. That jumped the road from one side to other and hid inside the bush and looking at us. It was so fast I couldn't capture. I guessed the baby bear cannot be here alone, so its mother is somewhere around. I switched off the engine, lights and waited there for 10 minutes. No signs of the mother. So we continued our safari. Deep Inside , Another old Bear was crossing the road. As soon as it spoted us, it came charging at us but immediately went into the jungle. We went till the end of the road and came back. On our way back, at the spot where we saw the old bear, I guessed it could be still there and Yes, the Old bear was was walking on the road in the same direction as us. This time I had enough time to pull out the camera and take a Video. The Video has come out cool. Unfortunately we couldn't spot tiger or leopard in all the jungle safari routes. Went back to sleep at 2 AM. [Will upload the Video in the evening since I don't have the camera right now in Office]

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Day 3: Even early in morning, we were not sure where to go. I called up few hotels and resorts in Kodaikanal to check for availability. Though few resorts had rooms, they were costly like 4000 - 6000 Per Night. We wanted 3 rooms, so the budget went too high. Budget hotels also doesn't make sense. Fortunately the EB officer from papanasam called my dad and said, Forest Department has got few cottages and we could try that. So our plan to kodaikanal started fading away. One main reason being the time we are gonna spend there. it was 10 o clock at tiruchendur when we were all ready. We would reach Kodaikanal by 5 o clock. There is no use in staying there for one night and starting back to chennai next day 12 PM. So the Kodaikanal plan was dropped and we headed towards Papanasam. If we dont get any cottage, just do some sight seeing and come back.

Started From Tiruchendur - Thirunelvelli - Kalladaikurichi - AmbaSamudhiram - papanasam - Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve. The route was not superb but good. Reached Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve at 3 PM. Surprisingly the forest officers were so kind and polite. Usually they dont talk to us looking at our face and most of the answers would be Yes or No. But this time they were so nice. After My dad told them about his So and So designation in TNEB, the officer asked his family to vacate a cottage they were staying, since we requested him a cottage which is kind of seperated from the crowd. Finally we got Chittal Cottage. Time was 5 O clock in the evening. We were told the boating to Vanatheertham Falls will be closed, but we can go and spend time at the Karayar Dam by that time the rooms will be cleaned and ready. The canteen guy accepted to cook Parota, Idly and Chicken Gravy for the dinner at 930 PM. After visiting Karayar Dam, we came back to our rooms at 7 O clock.

At 8 O clock, I stared feeling bored, so took my wife with me for a safari inside the jungle. We didn't spot anything big that time other than Mangoose and Sambar Deer. But the safari was thrilling since only we two were on the road throughout. After finishing the Superb Dinner, we again set out for a Safari inside the jungle with my parents and in laws. The forest guys told they get us a guide who would carry a big focus lamp to spot tigers and leopards. My dad was interested in Bear since he has seen tigers and leopards many times and bear once or twice. We waited for the guide till 1130 PM and then we decided to go on our own.

Just few KMS inside the jungle, we were welcomed by a baby bear. That jumped the road from one side to other and hid inside the bush and looking at us. It was so fast I couldn't capture. I guessed the baby bear cannot be here alone, so its mother is somewhere around. I switched off the engine, lights and waited there for 10 minutes. No signs of the mother. So we continued our safari. Deep Inside , Another old Bear was crossing the road. As soon as it spoted us, it came charging at us but immediately went into the jungle. We went till the end of the road and came back. On our way back, at the spot where we saw the old bear, I guessed it could be still there and Yes, the Old bear was was walking on the road in the same direction as us. This time I had enough time to pull out the camera and take a Video. The Video has come out cool. Unfortunately we couldn't spot tiger or leopard in all the jungle safari routes. [Will upload the Video in the evening since I don't have the camera right now in Office]

Our family is kinda more interested in Night jungle safaris than beaches, waterfalls or any picnic spot. If we choose a place for a trip, we prefer a Wild Life Forest. That was the reason our most visited and favorite spot has been Masinagudi - Moyar. If we set out for a trip, we all will be active only in the night like those wild animals, so only a night safari could entertain us. That was the reason, me and my dad wanted to try the best to find a stay in Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve. Every time we did a night safari in Masinagudi, Topslip, or whereever, we haven't come back empty handed, atleast an elephant should be spotted otherwise we roam on the forest roads till the morning. We have spotted Leopards, Hyenas, Bears, Elephants, Wild Dogs, one or the other, and happily go back to our rooms. This time also we were again happy spotting Bears, and my dad extra happy since he saw what he wanted to. Went back to sleep at 2 o clock.

The cottage was not that neat. Little OK since it is maintained by the forest department. The food was good. There is only one canteen which is the only source of food at that place. They are ready to cook what ever we wanted. They are cheap to. The chicken costed 100 rs and the making charges was just 20 Rs which includes all cooking, tomatos , onions, masalas and whatever is needed to make it. I paid them double extra for their Service, genuineness and kindness.
    3 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Wonderful experience. It was nice to read the thread with twist and turns in plan felt like we are also part of that trip:)
    TFIan's bindings with mother nature is increasing day-by-day with Ravi sir's kaziranga trip, sanjeev's Bandhavgarh trip, Sandip's himalayan trip and srid's night safari:)
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  10. Nice travelogue srida. Thanks for sharing! Great to know that you are a wildlife loving family. :cool:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012