1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

3rd service cost and console backlight on query

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by Saurabh2177, May 22, 2014.

1. Saurabh2177

Saurabh2177 Novizio

Kanpur,U.P.
    Members,

after taking my Punto MJD Active for service i received a call from service center estimating the cost to be near Rs12000/- but on talking a bit harsh on such high cost of service i was explained that by error they have computed the cost as per 4rth and paid service .
    and about after 30 min. i received the call that the estimate for 3rd free service would be around 6000/-.
    and the actual bill came for Rs5803/- copy of which is attached below,

please let me know:-
    1.if they have missed anything which would render extended warranty void in future my car has run 22000 km and was purchased in May'12.
    2.they had called to inform that the brake pad needs to be replaced ,on inquiring i was told it would run for few hundred kilometers without any problem and it was my choice if wanted them to be replaced else they would clean the brakes only i requested them to clean them only,will this create any problem in near future.

And i am not sure about this but the backlight of this menu panel is lit even in day time when no parking/headlamp is on ,
    if a remember correctly the backlight was lit only when parking/headlamp is on.
    pls clear my doubt regarding this issue

Bill_00.jpg

WP_20140521_001.jpg
  2. Saurabh2177

Saurabh2177 Novizio

Kanpur,U.P.
    31 views and no answer it seems i have asked something not known to members.....:D
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, the cost of service for 3rd service is around 5.5-6k only.

01. They havent missed anything and all the filters and oils are replaced as per schedule. By the way, you have given car for service on time and within specified kilometres so extended warranty cant be harmed even if service centre forgets to do something because its not your fault.

02. Regarding brake pads, it depends upon the condition of the brake pads. If brake pads wear completely, then brake discs can get damaged for sure and even those need to be replaced. Best is to look at brake pads during servicing and see the thickness left.

03. Backlight of Menu console remains lit when key is rotated to mar position even if parking/headlights are turned off. I just confirmed it on my punto.

Regarding brake pads, I advise that you check the thickness yourself or show them to some nearby mechanic. You just need to unmount the tyre to see the brakepad thickness.

The TATA dealer in 2012 had advised me replacement even though brake pads had around 25-30% life in them (based on pad thickness with new) after 30,000km. My car used to run 95% on the highways and there was little use of brakes on that route. But the TATA dealer saw it as an opportunity since the odo was 30,000km and said that pads would last only another 2-3,000km so replace. This January 2014, I lifted them from the terrace where they were lying in open in North Indian summer and rains for the past 20 months and fitted them in my Punto that had done 70,000km just to see how much they run even after lying in water etc. for 20 months. Its been 5,000km already and braking is also as effective even after 20 months of abuse outside. The TATA dealer was giving bad service anyways.

These are those abused brake pads by the way. Cleaned the surface thoroughly before installation and just want to see how much can they run out of curiosity. Though I do run the risk of damaging the brake discs.

Brake pads.jpg

Don't know about others but I was waiting to check the backlight thing before replying. :)
  4. Saurabh2177

Saurabh2177 Novizio

Kanpur,U.P.
    thanks for the detailed reply,
    i will check the brakes 1st thing tomorrow and if required ask for suggestions again.

and
    31 views and no answer it seems i have asked something not known to members.....:grin:

this remark was just a teaser :cool: