1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

3M Self Adhesive Chrome Strips required

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Prabhakaran, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Prabhakaran

Prabhakaran Timido

Chennai
    Dear all,

I have booked a Black linea MJD emotion from RDC motors,Chennai and awaiting for delivery next week. I have few queries regarding the car, It will be great full if anyone can guide me as this is my forst post.

1. I came across this pic(as attached) and was stunned by the looks. Can anyone suggest me where i can buy the 3M Self Adhesive Chrome Strips. It is not available in ebay india, i found one link through a thread but sadly the seller has ended the listing.So kindly let me know if it is available in the aftermarket. And please advise me if the alloys(as in the pic) is available in India?.

2. I wanted to change the existing audio system to a touch screen system, but the sales guy at fiat said that doing that i wont be able to use the blue&me function. Is that true?

3. The sales guy promised a complimentary Teflon coating for the car. I'm amazed by the 3M works after going through few threads. Is it recommendable to take my brand new car for a paint sealant and under body anti-erosion stuff?

Thanks & Regards
    Prabhakaran

imagegd-model1.jpg
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    The mods looks freaking awesome. Why FIAT never thinks of such things like that. I am sure a chrome beading would not add too much of a cost.
    1 person likes this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard Prabhakaran and congratulations.

You can ask the dealer to leave the Teflon coating. It's just a placebo. FIAT cars already come with anti-rust coating.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Hi Prabhakaran. Many congrats on your booking.

Yes, your blue & me will go away. Now you're stuck with the stock HU. The best you can do is throw away the OEM speakers and install better speakers/components with an amplifier as the HU is crap. Although there are a few brands' components that the HU can take, you'll have to check with your dealer/installer.

And don't take your brand new car for any kind of coating or sealant application. Drive around for about 6 months atleast and then consider opti-coating, sealant, clear, etc etc. And no need for teflon coating as Gurjinder pointed out.

Don't do anything to your car right away. Drive around. Feel it. Take it for a short trip or two and then get down to modding it. Well, that is what I feel. The rest is upto you buddy.

Enjoy.
    1 person likes this.
  5. cannonera

cannonera Amatore

Bangalore
    Congratulations on your booking!
    I somehow feel that the alloys aren't real (PS maybe) 5 bolts on the alloy, you see...
    Regarding Paint Sealant, since yours will be a Black Colour, it may help. Also, if the car is New, then it would cost less for getting paint sealant job done...
    1 person likes this.
  6. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Welcome onboard,
    as suggested by others the anti-corrosion treatment is a scam, do not fall for it.
    As far as the alloys are concerned, they are not very practical for Indian roads, those are probably 18 Inches or more.
    As Canonera pointed out, there are 5 bolts on the alloys, it might have needed a change of the wheel hub.

Point is, you can go for the paint sealant treatment if you want to. 3M also has a product which is like a transparent plastic sheet called Scotchguard Paint Protection Film. you can get your car's bumper covered with that, its pretty useful, as it protects from scratches.
    1378748_565755780145086_1795267778_n.jpg

ba1cbc3740463872017414c8f299f86f.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  7. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    When I bought my car in 2009 they did a 3m teflon coating on my car. I must say that was done very well and protected my paint for last 4 years.
    Recently when I saw many scratches on my front bumper I tried to use a rubbing compound and found some layer of thin plastic coming out I think that is the coating
    which was still there. Now the bumper scratches are gone with that coating. May be I have to do a protection again for the bumper.
    However I have heard that teflon coating is not advisable in coastal areas.

BTW, the above pic of LINEA is photoshoped, it looks like LINEA notchback !! :)
    2 people like this.
  8. Prabhakaran

Prabhakaran Timido

Chennai
    Dear all,

Thanks for all your quick responses. I have decided to go with 3M for the scothgard PPF & mats initially.

Kindly let me know if the below quote given by my dealer is fine as this is my first experience in buying a new car and i don't know if I should demand more:

1. Final Quote : Linea Emotion 1.3 MJD - 9.90 lakh (onroad price - including bumper to bumper insurance)
    2. Freebies accessories :Mudflap, Mats, Teflon coating and reverse parking sensors.

*as stated in the above comments by various of you guys i will ask the dealer to replace teflon coating with something else
    Thanks in advance. I will post the pictures of my car on Dec 4th once I get the delivery.
    2 people like this.