1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

37K ownership report of my Punto MJD Emotion Pack

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by macky, Aug 30, 2012.

1. macky

macky Amatore

Hi All,

I joined the Forum a good 4 or 5 months back. Got the 30k service done a couple of months back and now the ODO reading is around 37K.
    I will keep it short and simple.

Initially when the car was new and that was the time when i was used to palio 1.9D, i had some trouble with the driving because of the tremendous low end torque in the 1.9D(I am spoilt).

The problems i faced so far:

Rear suspension gives a squeaking noise when moved over speed breakers or when turning the car on a slope(TASS fixed it number of times, including replacing rear suspension, but no solution, makes me feel as if i am driving TATA ACE MAGIC)

Door rattles(Again TASS fixed them but they re-appear)

Steering Noise(as if there a small stone in a tin can) when driven on roads with small undulations(Fixed but they added another problem, one of the steering mount switch makes a slight rattling sound)

Steering wobble at80-120KMPH speeds (After a lot of research and time waste it was found to be a bad front right sturt and they replaced it under warrenty and also added strut caps as the rain water was dripping down and that was the reason for the strut going kaput)

Alloy wheel bent( replaced it , costed me around 10k)

Blue and me Box went kaput in the 3rd month of ownership( replaced under warrenty)

Music system went kaput once the blue and me box was changed( replaced under warrenty)

and the regular service till now, changing the brake pads for the first time today at 37K, the SA says that there are two types of brake pads one costs 2k and the other costs 3k and both of them are not interchangable, so there are two versions, not sure which one is mine.

The car is 80% driven on NH7 and this is where i felt that the 5th gear is not adequate, till 120KMPH the car will do fine and beyond that you get a feeling that the engine is under tremendous stress.

Also the wind noise is a very big irritant once you are above 100KMPH(sure one can feel it on most indian cars)

steering could have been lighter for city use and also the clutch in city traffic will give the left leg good excercise
    What puts me off is the small irritants and keep coming up.

The good Bits now.

Its a bliss to drive on highways.

The brakes are awesome and I love them the most. The steering is precise.

But i still find driving palio was less stressful then driving a punto on long drives(comments are welcome), i know this is individual preference.

All in all its a good experience till date and will i buy a Fiat again,

well i will- the logic is simple, if you want a Drivers car typically european that doesnt burn your pocket then its got to be fiat.
    4 people like this.
  2. macky

macky Amatore

update:

There was this famous door latch going kaput that happened in the 5th month, it was covered under warrenty.

this weekend went to my native place, and the total distance covered was more than 1000KM: average fuel efficiency is 19.6 and the highest i ever got was 21.6 on the same NH7 stretch some time back.

While coming back to Hyderabad, Horn went kaput near Bootpur/Jedcherla, took it to Carz and that guy told that there is some burnt smell from the wire, taking it to TASS tomorrow. FIAT is notorious for the electrical problems atleast till Palio, hope that will not come back and haunt mine!!
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    macky.
    please share your beauty snaps....
    i too done 36K Kms in 1 year and 5 months... :p ROCK SOLID
    1 person likes this.
  4. macky

macky Amatore

Sure Buddy!! give me some time!

5. Hope your problems get sorted out soon...
    1 person likes this.
  6. Lovely review and sorry for your problems Macky.
    1 person likes this.
  7. macky

macky Amatore

The problem was a 7.5AMP fuse that was blownout, went to TASS(Tejaswi, Madhapur,Hyd), took half an hour or so to get the car inside and for the technician to come, 5 min to fix the problem(also there was some wire contact to the boby which was fixed), then another 40 min to get the gatePass and come out. Classic example of how things work in TASS. THe only thing that put a smile on my face was that i was not charged. Wonder if other manufacturers will do it FOC.
    Should I appreciate TASS or not!!The dilemma continues.!!
  8. macky

macky Amatore

small update:
    Always felt that the recoil of the clutch is on the higher side in my Punto, but as its mostly highway driven, the usage of clutch was very less, recently i moved to KPHB and now there is frequent use of clutch while going to office and started feeling uncomfortable using the clutch and I didnt take it seriously, slowly started some pain in the foot, yet i couldnt take it to TASS due to time constraint.Mean while the door latch on one of the doors went kaput! this time on a different door, so had to go to Tejaswi, they replaced the door latch under warrenty,
    i also told them about the clutch recoil, they changed the plastic push rod to a metal one.
    Used it of a couple of days, but there is no improvement.
    took it back and they said that there is problem with the pressure plate and it needs to be replaced. now pressure plate+clutch+release bearing is one single unit.
    In the mean while i also observed some slight noise from the steering while turning it and told them the same.
    39k on the odo and they said that the clutch cant be replaced under warrenty, but my argument was that, if there is any damage to the clutch then i will pay and if it is a defect then you do it FOC, they agreed and it turned out to be a defect and replaced under warrenty.
    Also, the noise in the steering is from combination switch and that was replaced under warrenty.
    I never expected that the clutch would be covered under warrenty, and in this regard I should thank Tejaswi motors for that.
    They were very helpful and also thanks to Fiat as well and I have never seen clutch replaced under warrenty at around 40k!! They could have easily denied the warrenty.
    1 person likes this.
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Good to know that your issues were resolved without much fuss. For the last month or so that I have driven in city traffic, I felt the clutch has become hard and it is resulting in pain in the left foot. I have my 3rd free service scheduled in Dec (~28500 kms currently on ODO). Will getting the lubrication done and adjusting the lever solve my clutch issue or can it be a pressure plate issue?
  10. macky

macky Amatore

Good to see you online after long time, my suggestion is nto to wait for the service(3rd service). From what i heard the clutch warrenty is around 25k or 30k KMS. First they will lubricate and re-adjust the clutch, if it doesnt solve the problem then probably it can be pressure plate problem or excessive clutch abuse.