1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

33 years on the Road - A SAGA!!

Discussion in 'Punto 1.2 Fire' started by ratanshivi, Jul 10, 2012.

1. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    My 1st Fiat Experience
    In 1979 we bought our first Fiat Premier Padmini which was a 1974 model. Before I go down the Memory lane of my experience on the road with My Fiat I would like to Highlight how I learnt to drive a Car. A very good friend of my dad was Once explaining to my dad the Funda of driving. How one Leaves the Clutch slowly and accelerates slowly and how we steer though the Traffic similarly whilst riding a cycle on the road. How we need to keep our eyes Open and foresee the Traffic ahead of us with occasional attentive glances at the Rear view mirror. I was Fortunate enough to hear this Conversation and then I Just Knew how to DRIVE…. Once a very close friend of mine during our 10th exams said that the examination papers are available and that he was going to get it in his car. He was also underage and had flicked his father’s Car keys to go to Worli Passport office to get the Papers with his Classmate. Unfortunately his class mate did not turn up and he asked me if I knew how to drive. I like one big shot told him that I have been driving for a while. We Pushed the Car out of building premises at 2 am and hit the streets with me behind the wheel. Voila I got my First lesson of driving without any incidents on the way to Worli and back with just an explanation of how to drive in my head. Then there was no turning back, once in a while we used to take off with my friends car early in the morning for good long drives and became professionals without a License.

Once we got the Car I became the official Family driver. Any event that had to be attended the family’s driver was at their service irrespective of the fact that I was not interested as I was a Teenager and also had my bike to my disposal. At times it was very irritating because the functions would clash with my dates or outings with my friends.
    Car racing was always and is a big time interesting hobby of all teenagers. We used to often race our cars from Breach candy through Napean Sea Road all the way up to Hanging Gardens and down Kemps Corner back to Breach Candy. Attended a lot of events at the Thane Gymkhanna and at Pawanhans. A lot of races between Khandala and Mumbai or Breach Candy to the airport and Back. I have also attended the Himalayan Rally in My Dad’s friend’s car as a co driver(Navigator) – Fiat Padmini Stock engine XXX 6008 – Blue color. Done a lot of treasure hunt events on the bike and in my car.

Fortunately never met with a single accident in those days with my car, though once coming down the hanging Gardens slope I turtled a friend’s car and once a Taxi rolled back on my stationary car on a steep slope. One more accident that I remember was with My Maruti 800 – 7710 which got banged by an Oncoming car at Kalina when I was stationary at a red signal a couple of years ago.

Our family Vacation spot even after getting the car remained the same Lonavala and On one of our trips I remember that I had some trouble with the Gears and someone advised to try the reverse gear. Unimaginable but true, I drove the entire last section of the khandala ghats in the reverse gear to the top and very close to Fariyas stopped and got the car repaired. The reason I remember the Last time we went to Lonavala was in 1986 is, it was exactly after my Graduation and I got a Call for the Job I had yearned for in Africa. Another very strange fact that I would like to highlight about this Fiat – MTY 3326 is that I sold it 3 times and bought it back twice. Unfortunately every time I sold the car my financials would go for a toss and every time I bought it back life would be back in the Top Gear.
    One more reason this car was very dear to me is because my dad had bought it for me and on the day he passed away it was this same car that drove him to the Hospital. I spent a Fortune on this car in 1990 and upgraded every inch of this car. 20mm Gauge body – Vaydoot airlines body Paint which was Rs 3000/ litre front and back spoilers made out of aluminum, bucket seats, Fancy chrome handles, chrome Window rims Halogens and Fog Lamps and Hella Horns like you all can see in the Picture attached earlier. The Hole in my pocket was Rs 25000 for the entire job. Another reason I loved this car is because it was the chariot of my honeymoon to Goa – Mahableshwar and back. One more very important factor of this Car was if I ever run into any mechanical issues it always gave trouble with a Mechanic round the bend. I have had some real good and the best of moments and times in this car with my friends, girl friends and not to forget Wife and Son. I have a lot of memories with this Fiat of mine and the list can go on forever.
    8 people like this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Ratan sir keep writing.....I feeling good by reading your thread.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ratan ji, My self and your first Fiat were born in 1974. Waiting for the next part.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice thread, and the pictures on last page are classic.

BTW, why the thread is in Linea section?
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Ratanji, your every post has many interesting stories compressed into few words!! too good!! :):)
    driving in reverse in the ghats would have been an unforgettable experience I am sure!!
  6. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Hi Ravi,

My Bad - kindly do the needfull or I can Request Sandeep to do it..
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Done.

Keep updating, this thread is excellent to read.
  8. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Yamaha RX 100– 1988 Model - Silver – BLM 4031

I came back from Africa after 2 years in March 1986 and used to travel to kemps corner every day in my car, because we had shifted to Malad in 1986 just after I left to go to Africa. My dad suggested I buy a bike and leave the car parked in town so I bought the Yamaha. I bought the bike in the month of May of 1988. During this time I decided to start my own business and canned the option of going back to Africa. I had saved quite a bit from my trip to Africa so bought a shop here in Malad close to my house. I started the sub dealership for Yamaha and then expanded and also set up a garage with the Help of my Dad’s friend who verbally taught me how to drive a car.
    There was no turning around then as far as bikes were concerned. Did a lot of racing, joined a lot of track events and also treasure Hunts. During the Hindu Muslim Riots in Mumbai I got to Buy a fully burnt up Yamaha from One of the Insurance company’s the Yamaha RX 100 –1992 model– Blue – MH02 – XX2221 which I restored and sold at with a good profit though I used it for approximately one year. While I was using this Bike for my regular travel I had modified my original Bike – BLM 4031 – It was completely supped up for track and drag racing.
    I also travelled from Mumbai to Bangalore on this bike which is a good 1050 klms. Whilst going we were 2 friends but on the way back I cam alone all the way from Bangalore in Flat 16 Hours. Guys no one could digest the fact that I reached Mumbai riding nonstop and that a Yamaha could go on fired up for 16 hours at a stretch. In those days I clearly remember only a couple of bikes were modified to touch a 130 Klms/hour, and off course one of them was mine. I stopped 3 times for petrol and once in Lonavala to have a Vada Pav at 11pm in the night. I still remember when I got off the Bike after reaching home each and every bone and Muscle was paining for nearly a week. I used to calm all my muscles with the warm water bag continuously.
    One more event I have to mention is an event inside Film City. We had to race to the top of a peak with hairpin bends and u bends and the one who clocked the Best timing would win. We were around 40 bikes and only 18 got to the top. A lot of bikes skid and lost their balance and lot of bike went off the cliff. Luckily in my case I reached the top but on the way down my bike went off the edge and landed 200 feet below at the bottom of the hill. I escaped with a few bruises and cuts from the shrubs and the pebbles at the edge of the cliff. This race was the end of my racing career because in 1991 I got married and my wife put a break on all my fun activities.

The Most fatal Bike accident happened in 1995 when I went skidding down a slope due to pebbles. I was forced by a Bus to move to the corner of the road and it was riddled with pebbles which made the Bike Skid. I went sliding a good 20 feet with the bike as it was a going down slope. I missed banging my head on a wall by a few centimeters. The Bike was on top of me and the Leg guard had gauged itself in my knee cap. My left arm skin was shaved off completely to the muscle. Mr. Macho Ratan Got up sat on the bike kicked it and dropped off his friend to reach home. As soon as he entered the lift of his building and entered it he fell fainted and collapsed there itself. When the next person entered the lift they found me and took me home. I regained consciousness and just applied Brake oil all over my wounds and went back to work..My Knee still pains during the winter…

Hey Guys I forgot to mention that I also Owned a Kinetic Honda for a couple of years. I just recalled it as I was writing about the accident because I was made to sell both the bikes after that. Will continue the tales of the Kinetic in the next update…
    5 people like this.
  9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Treat to forum members. Nice thread, have bookmarked this thread :)

Thank you
    Vasu
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ratanji, Your entire story is full of incidents. Feeling like reading the autobiography of Mr. Ratan Shivdasani:)
    With this great heritage of past your punto will be enjoying driven by you. He will be thinking "I am driven by a man who had taken my grand grand father in its fullest"