1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

300 KMS Ownership Review

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by tiaf, Nov 7, 2013.

1. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    Hi All,

Finally I took delivery of my Punto on 31-October-2013.
    This being my first car is a very happy moment in my life.
    I had been a fan of palio right from college days and wanted to buy one sometime.
    Even after the thought of buying a car started I was hunting for second hand Palios.
    However, did not have enough patience to undergo any kind of niggle in the initial days/years of ownership and so decided on a new one.
    Friends warned against Fiat and suggested to go for Swift VDI/ZDI or I 20.
    I did not want to go for a Maruthi/Hyundai, both of them being too common on road.
    I did not even take them for a test ride.
    Test drove an Emotion model from Ramkay, with full load on various kinds of road for some 20Kms or so.
    We were fully satisfied with the ride quality, suspension, braking and build quality, and I went ahead and booked Emotion within a week.
    As there are just 2 dealers in Chennai, I visited both of them before booking.
    I did not find much difference in price between both these although many said RDC was cheaper.
    Sales experience at Ramkay was much better. I had just went to check on the OTR price and I booked the very next day.
    OTR came to 7.8 for Emotion. Looks like one could have got a better deal if one can produce RC copy of any model car.
    I did not add any accessories other than the ones provided by dealer as part of OTR.

1. Mud flaps
    2. Door Sil - Dont know why I got this!
    3. 3M Polish
    4. Neck Rest
    5. Car Cover
    6. Floor Mats

Did not take much photos, as it was rainy, car was mostly full of mud.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Drove the car in week ends to get a feel of it and had been taking to office for past 4 days.
    Did not check out the Blue and me and the other options, as I first want to get myself comfortable with the car.
    Since I have not driven a car in the past, there were quite a few mistakes that I did and learnt my lessons.

Yet to get RC book from dealer and looks like it will take some 15-20 days.
    Dealer is yet to give the extended warranty copy.
    Dealer did not give RSA Manual and just gave the list of dealers and service stations across India.
    I have seen a pdf of the RSA manual in team fiat and I think the dealer should give it.
    Anyone who bought recently got the RSA Manual?

Got a couple of small dents and scratches here and there, and mostly all of these happened when I was taking reverse.
    One of them was caused by a bus for no mistake of mine. Realized that I should always distance myself from buses/lorries/load vehicles.
    The first thing I did after this was pasting 'L' and will keep if for at least 2 months.
    This made me realize that I should have opted for reverse parking sensors. Shall fit them when I go for first service at 5000Kms.
    I shall post pictures of these dents sometime and please suggest the best means to get them rectified.
    Sometimes I feel those dents/scratches are very very minor and need not spend time or money on them, however sometimes I feel it would be nice to get them cleared!

Covered 300+ KM so far.
    In signals/ bumper to bumper traffic, 2nd gear does a good job, I am generally able to quickly move from halt in 2nd gear. Is this the correct way or I should always start moving in first gear and then shift up?

Looking forward for a long drive sometime soon. Will update you guys as soon as I make it.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    11 people like this.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Congratulations.
    Going by your own instinct and not following the herd mentality will be certainly rewarded by your Punto's solid build, cushy ride and inspring handling.
    Your image in the bumper in the pictures were like K.Balachnadhar's touch in his movies.
    Immediately install the rear parking sensorz, don't wait.
    On the lighter side, you need not have worried about the price, had you married!, father in law would have gifted, these days no marriage happens with out new car parked in the marriage hall.
    Happy motoring.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hello and Congrats on the car.

Seriously yes on the reverse sensors. They are a big boon for me if not i would have lost atleast 1 back boot bumper by now :D

Yes last week on my long drive, saw a verna which was standing already and a bus which came after took abrupt left after signal went green, just sat over the verna's bonnet lowering the whole car by atleast few cms. I felt very bad that it happened to those folks for their no mistake. Stupid bus driver :(

One more habit you could do is to always honk when moving from stand still if either of your side is a heavy vehicle. This always alarms that vehicles driver about your position. Has helped me so far, touch wood.
  4. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Chennai
    Congratulations on your Punto Tiaf!
    She looks gorgeous in Tuscan Wine!

300km within city in a week is quite a good amount of driving! You'll soon get comfortable with the car's dimensions.
    Just do not worry about the minor dents and scratches. They are bound to happen in the first few days of driving and can always be sorted out :)

Wish you miles n miles of happiness with your new Punto!
  5. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Congrats on getting Punto Tiaf.
    Punto looks Grand in Tuscan Wine.
    Glad to know you didnt listened to people & went for maruti or hyundai,instead went against them & chose Fiat.As you clock more miles you will get comfortable with Punto to drive in city & get to know dimensions to distance yourself from big vehicles.
    Leave those minor dents & scratches on your car if they are not visible easily.Get reverse parking sensors with cam on ur Punto.
    Plz dont move your car from halt in 2nd gear,Move it from halt in 1st gear always as it wont put stress on clutch,throttle & engine.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Tiaf,

Congratulations on getting the car home.

As Nadeem said, it is always better to downshift to first gear before moving ahead in the traffic. Also dont practice clutch pressing while waiting at signals, better to shift to nuetral and pull the manual brake.

Wishing many more happy mile crunching and drive safely.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Congratulations! Enjoy the Punto 76. I love this car.
  8. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    Guys, thank you very much for your wishes and support.

I will definitely keep in mind that I should start from halt only in first gear.
    The thing is first gear is really short and I got to shift to second gear immediately once car starts moving.

My office is at Perungudi, OMR and daily running per day is at least 40KM. Odo is at 380+ KM as of today.
    Mostly I reach the toll at Perungudi by 9:00.
    The toll charges are RS 38/- per day and looks like monthly pass will cost 1500 per month which is weird.

Here are the images of dents.

Stupid me took reverse without noticing that the front wheels were not straight, dashed the left door on the motor outlet pipe.
    I heard a loud noise and thought left side door is fully dented. Thankfully there was a small dent.
    This happened even before I got the number plates installed :(
    Had to catch hold of a plumber to repair the outlet pipe of motor without which we would be left without water.

dent1.jpg

This was the one done by the bus fellow. I saw the bus speeding on my left and came to a halt on the extreme right side of road to give way for him.
    We heard a very loud noise and I thought that he had caused a huge damage. Few vehicles who passed by said they will catch hold of him. I got very worried that he had done a huge damage.
    Immediately parked the car on left side of road and just saw few scratches. Felt very much relieved after that. First thing I did after going home was sticking "L" boards.
    I think I should keep myself away from bus/lorries/load vehicles/taxis.

scratch.jpg

This happened when I dropped my son in school. The school is located in a layout full of vacant plots, with proper roads and there is not much traffic either.
    I never had to take reverse to come back as the roads were wide enough. However that particular day, there was another car parked on extreme right side, so I had to reverse a bit after turning right.
    I reversed very casually as there was nothing behind. I failed to notice a concrete light post, which was in the extreme left side of me.
    There was a loud bang when I took reverse, and I was quite upset. Calming myself I turned right, parked and went to see the damage.
    The rear bumper had a few scratches and a corner of the bonnet had a small dent.
    There was some damage to left most lights at the bottom. I think these are the ones that indicate reverse gear. Those lights are not firmly secured now, though they work.

dent2.jpg

As pointed out by you guys, I should go for reverse parking sensors/cameras ASAP.
    Can I get this installed in the Ramkay service centre @Perungudi?
    How much would the one with reverse camera cost?

Any suggestions for fixing these small dents? Can I get this attended during first service? Any idea how much this will cost me ?
  9. XLR8er

XLR8er Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The Fix-it pens are not that effective and advisable. If scratches are very minor then it's not worth spending too much on them. See if you can get big dents fixed as the way convenient to you.
    And congrats on the beauty. You will be enjoying the ride so much that you will forget the rest. Good luck. :)

Sent From Canvas 4 using Tapatalk
  10. testdrive

testdrive Amatore

Chennai
    Congratulations Taif. have fun..! no worries punto will teach you everthing....