1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

3 States, 4 Travellers, 5 Days & 1 Linea!!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by onlymakarand, Dec 30, 2012.

1. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

The famous philosopher Seneca once said- 'So Long as you live,keep Learning how to Live.'...

I twist the words a bit and say-'so long as you drive,keep learning how to drive!!'..
    It all started some 3 or 4 month back.. a plan was hatching to visit my sister's sasural in Gulbarga,Karnataka to attend the cradling ceremony of my niece.
    My parents and wife wanted to go by train,but I vetoed all of them and decided it best to take my beauty there! And I hatched another plan- to go further till Hyderabad and explore the city, before coming back.

And thus began the research part.The route,Road condition,travel time were all taken into account, and an itinerary was formed,which can be seen in my thread -
    and thanks to suggestions by ganges,viny and v1, the itinerary was fine-tuned.

So,the Linea was readied having done all the pre-drive checkups. And finally, the D-Day arrived!!
    (contd in next post)
    3 people like this.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Seems a very good Travelogue in the making !!

Hurry up, we're waiting for details and lots of pics :)
  3. Cant wait to read the complete travelogue...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

[contd from previous post]
    Apologies for the late update guys..was a tad busy with work!

DAY 1-

Got up at 4 AM and was up and on the road by 5.30 AM..

Route taken- Bhusawal-Aurangabad-Beed-Tujapur-Akkalkot-Aland-Gulbarga
    Google Maps

Linea all packed up and raring to go!!

the sun rising on linea!!

en route from Aurangabad to Beed on NH211,had this delicious and fresh Mosambi Juice.. Please note the Mosambi plantations in background.the juice was wonderfully fresh!

Linea posing on the highway!!

Long way to go!!

The road between Bhusawal to Tuljapur is mostly good,2 lane highway with few rough patches..the Linea sailed on these like a plane!

At around 1.30 pm,reached Tuljapur, where TULJABHAVANI MATA,the Kul-devta of Maharashtra resides.
    More info about tuljapur can be seen here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuljapur.
    No photographs,as Camera/Mobile not allowed inside.

Had a fulfilling darshan of the deity and was on the road again by 3.00 pm,this time to Akkalkot,about 80 kms from Tujapur.The road condition varied from being butter smooth to resembling moon surface..:(

And during all this hubbub,we completely forgot 2 important things- our lunch and Linea's too!!:eek: The road betn tuljapur and akkalkot didnt have any Dhabas or even petrol pumps..Finally found 1 decrepit bunk,and didn't dare to have tankfull there..so just had 500/- rs petrol,enough upto Aland.So,Linea was Temporarily happy,but what about us?? couldn't find 1 decent Dhaba all the way upto Akkalkot..:(

Finally,around 4.30 pm,reached our destination and first searched for something to eat..Only one place served Rice Plate at that time,so had no option but to Dig In..but the food turned out to be quite tasty!! :D Highly recommended Hotel Krishna.Akkalkot.

Enjoyed our late meals very much,and after a full stomach,proceeded for darshan at Shree Swami Samartha Temple.

More about the temple can be read here- Shri Swami Samarth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

on the way to Akkalkot

Entrance to the temple.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    6 people like this.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    That's a nice travelogue..... :)

Enjoyed it very much....
    1 person likes this.
  6. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Nice idea of a journey to continue from one place to another for pleasure of driving/travelling :)
    Glued to the thread for more updates
    1 person likes this.
  7. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Thanks for the compliments,Raj and Rishike!!

And wishing everyone from TFI a very Happy,Healthy and prosperous new year 2013!!:)
  8. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

DAY 1[Contd]-

After a very satisfying Darshan,by 6pm we decided to head for our destination for the day-Gulbarga.Its only about 80 kms or so from Akkalkot,but the roads on MH side made it look like 180!! :evil:

It was during this stretch that the Maharashtra govt PWD got a lot of curses from us..Govt apathy in border areas was quite evident from the condition of roads (if u could still call loose pieces of gravel as road).Akkalkot to the Border town Waghdari roads are absolutely horrendous,with loose gravel and large craters abundant..:(

Linea for her part didn't complain one bit and wasn't bottom scraped even once on the road!! A proud moment for me and a tight slap to those who always question Linea's low GC!!:boxer

As soon as we entered KA, roads improved dramatically as if by magic!! These pics will give u idea of road condition in diff states-

From the signpost onwards,road is butter smooth..

Finally,entered Karnataka and it was smooth sailing thereafter..Reached Aland,where Linea had her tankful at the IOCL bunk on the bypass..This road is a 2 lane toll road but better than any we had encountered today so far.. So with a smile on our face,:-D entered Gulbarga at around 8 pm, 14 and half hrs after we started!! :dancing

Went straight to hotel Raj-Rajeshwari Gulbarga,had a nice bath and dined with whole family.. Soon we crashed onto bed for a sound and well deserved sleep to end what was truly a memorable Day 1 of our sojourn!!

Stats of day 1-

Total kms- 599.3

Average Speed,despite bad roads in between,healthy 55 km/hr!!

total drive time- 10 hrs 53 mins.. and total travel time including breaks- 14 hrs 30 mins!!

1 person likes this.
  9. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

DAY 2-
    The day was spent celebrating the cradling ceremony of my niece.. Enjoyed a lot mingling with relatives and family..The function went on until late afternoon.

In the evening,decided to explore Gulbarga city. We were here back in 2008 but now the city has completely changed in just 4 years!!:eek:
    nicely paved Wide roads, big malls and complexes, nice gardens and what not!!

But one monument that stood out the most was newly built Buddh Vihar.. if you want to experience absolute silence,THIS is the place to be!!

It was inaugurated by then president of India, Pratibha Patil, Mallikarjun Kharge and Dalai lama in 2009. It has large meditation hall, and beautiful Buddha Statues which are very well maintained..Photography inside the campus strictly not allowed.So clicked these pics from outside of the premises.. Some more pics -

After the Buddha Vihar, we visited the famous Saranabasaveswara temple and the garden near it. Enjoyed very much,went back to home and called it a day!

Next day, new travel beckons!! .. [contd]
  10. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

DAY 3 -
    Time to bid adieu to Gulbarga.. woke up at 6.30 am and by 8.00 am, were on the road toward Hyderabad..

Route taken- Gulbarga-Humnabad-Zaheerabad-Hyderabad.
    Gulbarga, Karnataka to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh - Google Maps

Road condition- Excellent 2 laned highway all the way upto Sangareddy, 4 Lane thereafter.

Had breakfast at Hotel Naaz, just prior to Humnabad, comprising of Idlis and vadas.. Linea also posed for snapshots here!

Onwards,near Zaheerabad,stopped at BP COCO outlet- not to refill, but to relieve ourselves!!:evilsmile But linea didn't miss the opportunity of posing!!

Finally entered Hyderabad at around 11.30 AM,and set the google mobile navigation to Golconda Fort.. Reached there by 12.30 pm. I don't think I have to write much abt Golconda Fort,its a quite popular tourist hotspot in Hyderabad. We hired a guide for the Fort tour so as to get a better idea abt the History,Architecture,etc.

First Sighting..

It was already 2 pm by the time we finished our short tour of the fort..couldn't go to the top due to paucity of time..had to cover most of the places today itself..

So, set the navigation to charminar and headed off negotiating extrmely tight lanes of old city that had speed breakers every 100 mtrs or so!:eek: Wanted to see Charminar to experience typical chaos of HYD streets, and wasn't disappointed!!

After safely parking the Linea in the parking space, we decided to have our 'authentic Hyderabadi Biryani' lunch!! based on suggestions by locals, headed to Pista House Restaurant which is nearby for that authentic experince and absolutely loveeeed our meals!! :grin: Biyani was to die for and gorged on it like anything!!