1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

24 Month/3rd Service Queries

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by Ravi, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My car is about to complete 2 years and it will go for 3rd service (24 month).

I see in manual, below things are also mentioned for 60K or 24 month -
    - Clutch/Brake Fluid
    - Engine Coolant
    - Transmission oil

service1.jpg

My car has completed just 20K, but looks all these things should be changed. Any experience?
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ravi ..small confusion here. You need to check the 30 K service right 24 Months. You have mentioned 60 K.
    Change power steering oil every 24 months (As in the manual)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
  3. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, but comments says 60K or 24 months.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Transmisson oil and Coolant change is always a good idea , never a bad one. Just make sure they put in the required quantity (coolant) and recommended stuff.

Just like their engine oil change interval , FIAT's recommendation for tranny oil change ( 60,000kms) is grossly inflated. 30k is the max you should use the oil for.

However, a complete brake fluid change at this interval is rather early. Ask them to check the fluid's condition and if it's okay , get it replaced at the next service ( If its ok with the warranty etc).

Gurjinder.
  5. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I had given my car for 2 years (3rd free) servicing.
    And the SA informed me that they normally don't recommend these (coolant, transmission oil, brake fluid etc), because of 2 reasons -
    - Normally the life/quality of these can sustain 60K km.
    - To keep the servicing cost in check.

Though I had requested to change all the recommended fluids, as per manual. Little (actually not little;)) amount extra spend shouldn't be an issue, considering we have longest service intervals.

EDIT - Now I know gear oil and transmission oil is same.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You did the appropriate thing by changing all fluids at 2 years service. Amogh did the same and reports huge difference in smoothness after service. The cost of service will be around 10k but you will notice smoothness (as per Amogh's reviews) which is worth the extra 3-5k spent after 2 years.
  7. M A N U

M A N U Amatore

Bangalore
    where did you give your car for service? my 24 month service is coming up soon.
    Do post the service center review.
  8. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Concorde Motors, Dairy circle.
    I always give it there. No issues so far.
  9. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I'm going to the service center for my 3rd service of my Punto MJD - E pk tomorrow.

Anything specific to keep in mind for the 3rd service ? I'm assuming they will change the usual stuff as in the 2nd service ( oil , oil filter, fuel filter, air filter + general service ) .Brake pads look OK. Don't want to change anything not necessary.

Any idea on the approximate cost , I would assume < 5K ?

From the owners manual, following items are recommended for change @ 60,000km/24 months , whichever is earlier.

Has anyone got them changed during 3rd service ( 3rd service would be around 24 months for most folks ) ?

1) Brake /clutch fluid

2) Coolant

3) Transmission oil

Thanks in advance.
  10. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have told them to change all.
    By default they will not change.