1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2015 Leh Plans & Travel buddies

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Viny, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    I really want to add my name to this list, but have few doubts in my mind.
    1. Is it possible/safe to drive from Bangalore in a Punto 1.2 Dyna? Has anyone done it before?
    2. How many days+money would it take for the entire trip from Bangalore?
    3. If driving down from Bangalore is not an option, what other (Self driving) options can I use?
    dhinas likes this.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    No posts since last 2 days? The thread should be buzzing now....:D

You can consider 25th July to 15th August too. Most route/ passes will be opened (Wari La should also open by then), the routes stabilised etc. In any case, whatever period you decide, this is one drive where you must need to be prepared for weather or other eventuality.

Since I had to cancel my vacation for this summer, I might also join the bandwagon:D if another XUV is allowed ;)

:D
    I vowed last year that all my future Ladakh drives will include Zanskar circuit.

For Punto / Linea, it might be a bit challenging as there is no "road" there and several nasty water crossings. However, Rajiv Kumar did it last year in his SX4 (though I think it was not till Padum). The best way is to keep reading online travelling forums like HVK forum or bcmtouring for the regular updates on the routes and travellers.

Though Sarchu is almost in the centre of Manali-Leh, many people face AMS at Sarchu as Manali to Sarchu climb is steep (if not get acclimatised at Manali for a couple of days). Sarchu is also very cold and there are only tents there. Thirdly, there are very nasty water crossings between Jispa & Sarchu. The flow of water becomes more powerful in the afternoon due to snow-melting effect. So, it's better to halt for night-stay at Jispa then Sarchu.

This reminds me one of the cardinal rules of Ladakh drives - Leave early and target to reach your destination not later than 4-4.30 pm to avoid swelling water streams, wherever present.

You can do Tso Moriri before reaching Leh.

Your Plan A is missing Pangong-Man-Meraak-Chushul-Hanle.

That brings in your Plan B which is what I more or less did last year.

If you leave early by 4 am from Rangdum, you can reach Leh by 5-6 pm. Yeah, but you want to cover Dha & Hanu villages then it might take more time.

Should be Diskit - Wari La - Pangong Tso. Marismik La is strictly a 4x4 "expedition".

Wari La could be challenging for Linea/ Punto though not sure as we missed it.

Pangong-Maan-Merak-Chushul-Tsaga La-Loma-Hanle. Very scenic route as it runs along the banks of Pangong for almost 30 kms. Challenging as there is no road, there are only dirt trails.

Chushul permit is a challenge. Last year it was denied to almost all non-family tourists.

However, there are alternate "routes" to reach Tsaga La:D
    Viny likes this.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Shall we expect snow fall (by any chance) in August where we are going?
  4. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    ^^
    You may or may not. Last year we experienced snow fall in 3rd week of June at Chang La & then somewhere after Tso Moriri.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    @VahanPujari: Great to see you back :)
    And if you are planning to do this year, it would be great.
    I would like to reserve a seat in your XUV :D
    Have seen how you plan and execute, second to none and in lines with @J Ravi , he also has similar plans.
    And you also have a big itch for zanskar :D

It would be great if all can tag along :D
    VahanPujari and J Ravi like this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Sorry for my late reply @Viny as I am on Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh drive now. I am writing this message from Ginger, Guwahati. :) I will work out my schedule and post it here after return to my nest by the end of this month, possibly. However, I am clear that I may not be able to do Zanskar circuit and Hanle as some stretches are strictly 4x4 territory and I don't want to severely stress my 2WD XUV 500 in order to reach my den safely and comfortably. Secondly, my onward journey will be via Srinagar and the return trip will be via Manali. Thirdly, I wish to drive to Sach Pass either in the up journey or the down journey, subject to Sach Pass being accessible. Last September, it was closed. Our planned second Ladakh trip turned out to be the third Himachal expedition in reality due to unprecedented floods in Srinagar. Anyway, we shall keep our fingers crossed till the last minute. That's the beauty of Ladakh expedition!
  7. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    @J Ravi - You are underestimating XUV:D. It can take a lot of abuse without getting damaged.

Zanskar & Hanle are not 4x4 territory, XUV can easily do it. We did it alone last year without any other car or support with us.

Strictly 4x4 territories in Ladakh are as below:

- Marismik La (near Pangong Tso)
    - Pangong - Chushul - Kakasang La - Hora La - Mahe & then Nyoma - Nidar - Thit Zarbo La - Kyun Tso .... Though I knew it would be challenging for 2WD XUV, I almost did it last year as I so badly wanted to do this route but then pulled out as it was our first such expedition. Pangong - Chushul - Tsaga La - Loma - Hanle is 2WD route. ONly challenge is to get CHushul permit
    - the other strictly 4x4 territory is direct route to Pangong from Diskit thro' Agham - Shyok - Durbuk. THis is most challenging route as it passes thro' a river and the bridges are mostly broken
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 12, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 11, 2015 ---
    North-East is one drive which is still pending for me. :)
    Viny and J Ravi like this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, @VahanPujari. Anyway, we will cross that bridge, when we come to it, literally and metaphorically. ;) It looks like there are going to be atleast two beasts [Cheetahs] among the beauties during the ensuing Ladakh expedition! :)
    VahanPujari and Viny like this.
  9. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    This is getting interesting. Being my first trip of this kind I am thrilled at the same time little worried as I am planning to do this in palio and you guys are talking about 4x4 and all.

Can we list day wise plan preferably from Delhi, so that we can plan our start date from respective places.
    kedarbendre likes this.
  10. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    I'm a novice here. So reading quite a lot nowadays. One question about Manali to Leh: How easy is it for Punto 90hp with GC kit? I had read really bad stories about this route (though it is the most beautiful route of the lot) - w.r.to drastic variation of climatic conditions coupled with difficult pass routes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.