1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2015 Leh Plans & Travel buddies

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Viny, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I am planning to drive in September 2015. The up journey will be via central India and return journey via western India. Let me see, how everything works out to, subject to weather conditions.
    vayfiat likes this.
  2. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    J Ravi likes this.
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I have my leaves from 11th Sep until 28th Sep however I don't have any company, so need to postpone for next year. Anyone planning during this period?
    ramjn likes this.
  4. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    @dhaya76 Ravi sir (in 1st post, this page) might be doing Leh at this time. But not sure if you can do all the routes he is planning to do (guess you are taking your Linea). One of the teams here including me have finalized our dates - Aug 21st (myself from Bangalore) joined by 4 other cars from Pune (Aug 22) and will reach back by 13th Sep (Bangalore).
  5. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Ravi, will Linea be able to cope with any of the route you have suggested in your post, I am pretty sure I will not be able to match your driving style. When are you planning to leave Chennai? Any specific reason why you are not planning via Srinagar?
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. I drove to Leh in my erstwhile Linea in Sep 2011. Except in Zojila, Linea didn't face any serious problem other than countless underbody hits, which were absorbed by the engine guard plate that got straightened at Amritsar and Srinagar. The details are here. However, I doubt Linea will be able to tackle Sach Pass, if it is open in this Sep.

Dates are not yet finalized. But, I will do it in this Sep. I will post the details here as soon as I finalize the dates.

I plan to climb via Srinagar and get down via HP. But, I wish to drive on Mughal Route to Srinagar and cover Sach Pass either in the up or down journey. The rough route will be Bangalore/Chennai>Hyderabad>Nagpur>Sagar>Jhansi>Gwalior>Agra>New Delhi>Jammu>Akhnoor>Rajouri>Shopian>Srinagar>Leh>Nubra>PangongTso>Keylong>Killar>SachPass>Dalhousie>Amritsar>Vadodara>Pune>Bangalore, subject to the usual terms and conditions, disclaimers, fine prints, weather and road conditions, etc.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    ramjn and dhaya76 like this.
  7. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the information. Any specific reason other than distance for trying central India rather than Bangalore - Pune - Ahmedabad - Chittorgarh - Faridkot - Amritsar - Pathankot - Srinagar? My understanding was that the above mentioned route has better roads compared to central India, I may be wrong.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Negatives of the western India route:

1. Hubli-Dharwad bypass is a 2-laned road - similar to the notorious Madurai bypass connecting NH 45 and NH 7 - with many rash drivers coming in front of you. The only alternative is to drive through Hubli and Dharwad twin-cities, which is time-consuming.

2.Satara - Pune stretch is full of diversions. After monsoon, this stretch will become worse. No solution. One has to undergo this torture after paying toll.

3. Road improvement works are in progress on the Pune NH 4 bypass with many diversions and is prone for traffic jams. Solution: I try to cross it during night so that problems will be less.

4. Bypassing Mumbai during day time is painful. Solution: I try to cross during night/early hours so that problems will be less.

5. Narmada bridge on NH 8 between Ankleshwar and Bharuch is a bottle-neck. Many drive into Ankleshwar town and go via the Golden Bridge to come and join NH 8 at Bharuch. Even that is prone to traffic jams. So, one has to choose between the devil and the deep sea.

6. Some stretch after Sardar Patel Ring Road at Ahmedabad towards Himatnagar was not good when I drove a few years back. Solution: I avoid Ahmedabad>Udaipur stretch and go via Ahmedabad>Mehsana>Rajasthan>Punjab.

7. Udaipur bypass is a two-lane road prone to traffic blockades. Road quality was not that good a few years back. Nowadays, I avoid Udaipur.

8. Jaipur-Manesar-Gurgaon-Delhi stretch is notorious for traffic jams. Solution: better to avoid this route.

9. The last, but not the least. This route is longer by 500 km than the central India route for those driving from the South.

Positives of the western India route:

1. Beautiful 4/6 laned NH 4/8 roads all along.

2. Excellent NICE road, elevated roads in Bangalore, Pune-Mumbai Expressway and Vadodara-Ahmedabad NE1 Expressway.

3. Excellent road-side amenities, options for stay and eating.

Negatives of the central India route:

1. Bad stretch of NH 7 after entering Maharashtra from Telangana for about 30 km. The lastest reports indicate it was patched up as per the court orders.

2. Not much of road-side amenities. Solution: one must be prepared to eat in the road-side dhabas.

3. Truck traffic rules the roost. Car traffic volume is very less compared to the truck traffic.

4. Between Jhansi and Gwalior, alternate two lanes are completed and one has to change the lanes frequently.

5. No bypasses for Morena, Dholpur and Agra. Crossing Agra to reach Yamuna Expressway is painful as the route goes through narrow, crowded vegetable market. Solution: I try to cross it during night.

6. NH1 from Delhi towards Amritsar remains incomplete and with full of diversions.

Positives of the central India route:

1. The shortest route from the South to the North with beautiful 4-laned NH barring a few stretches.

2. Excellent bypasses at Hyderabad, Nagpur, Delhi and Yamuna Expressway from Agra to Greater Noida.

3. Excellent mouth-watering eating options all along NH 1 from Delhi onwards on both the sides.

So, which one is better? I usually go on the central India route and return via the western India! :)
    ramjn, mchanna, dhaya76 and 2 others like this.
  9. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the detailed information.

I heard of the difficulties but not to this extent, both has pros and cons and my option would be take the route which has more cons while going to Leh and less while return just to ensure that we store energy to enjoy the drive in Himalayas.
  10. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    J Ravi , which route is faster from Bangalore-Delhi , Central India or West India ? Almost same in terms of time taken ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.