1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2015 Leh Plans & Travel buddies

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Viny, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Tirthan Valley suggestion is from HVK only. You can probably mention to HVK/CHD to give same itinerary for us from Pune for onward journey and till Pune for journey back. I will PM you my gmail ID which you mention to HVK/CHD.
    We will plan to start from Bangalore on 21st Morning then - let me check (that is one day extra leave for me :() - but that is OK for this trip :D
    mchanna and kedarbendre like this.
  2. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Leh kit additions this weekend:
    • Leatherman Rebar (Expecting to get it by 25-May) - $54.8
    • Markwort Storm safety whistle (supposed to be world's loudest safety whistle!) - $8.5 (25-May)
    • FireStop Fire Extinguisher (From HVK Store) - Rs. 140/- (Picked up from HVK hub in Bangalore)
    Regards,
    Vinod.
    mchanna likes this.
  3. sudipz

sudipz Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi again, anyone who I can team up with? I'm available 7 July onwards.

4. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    @sudipz - As you would've noticed already in this thread, a team is going by Aug22nd from Pune. Want to join?
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @sudipz dude check with you PM.

Route Suggestions from HVK

A route from Pune to Kinnaur Valleys to Pune are mentioned below and source for this data is none other than www.hivayking.in

Pune to Kargil

Pune-Mumbai-Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Bhilwara-Jaipur-Delhi-Ambala-Ludhiana-Jalandhar-Pathankot-Udhampur-Srinagar-Sonmarg-Dras-Kargil

Suru & Zanskar Valleys

Kargil-Rangdum-Padum-Rangdum-Kargil

Leh

Kargil-Lamayuru-Leh-Thikshey-Hemis-Leh

Nubra & Shayok Valleys

Leh-Khardung la-Deskit-Hunder-Panamik-Wari La-Chang la-Pangong Tso-Tangtse

Chumathang Valley & Sarchu

Tangtse-Upshi-Karzok/Tso Moriri-Tso Kar-Pang-Sarchu-Keylong

Lahaul, Spiti & Kinnaur Valleys

Keylong-Gramphoo-Kunzum la-Kaza-Tabo-Sumdo-Sangla-Chitkul

Back to Pune

Sangla-Rampur-Shimla-Ambala-Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Baroda-Surat-Bombay-Pune

All creadit for the route suggestions goes #HVK.

Note: I am not if we will be visiting all these destinations as there will be some limitations like time limits, No 4x4 vehicle
    etc. We can alway think about which destinations we can reach out.

Permits are required for all in the following sectors:

Khardung la-Hunder-Turtuk-Wari la-Shayok
    Pangong-Marisimik la-Man-Merak-Chushul-Loma-Nyoma-Hanle
    Tso Moriri
    Dah-Batalik
    No permits required for Padum/Zanskar Valley
    Permits required for Rohtang Pass at Manali
    Foreigners requires a special permit to go to Kinnaur Valley and Spiti Valley
    The Ladakh permits are issued at the DC’s Office in Leh. Works during working hours on working days.
    Check out J&K Public Hlidays list to see if rteh office is open on days you are there
    Agents can get you permits without you having to visit personally
    Take enough photocopies to hand over at each Check Post you cross.

Note: This is archieved information and there are chances that this might changed. This is just for the rough idea for the permits.

Car & Cold Climate

Inputs by Kumar HV, Rahul Biswas and Suyash Tripathi

1. It can be extremely cold out there, and in some places night temperature can be sub-zero, down to (-)5/(-1)10 (places like Sarchu, Tso Moriri, Pangong, Padum, Pang, Hanle).
    2. Petrol/Diesel sold in these parts already has anti-freezants added to it, so don’t bother to add anything yourself.
    3. water inside your windscreen washer tank will freeze, but engine coolant will not.
    4. Parking for the night, observe the following precautions:
    - Park it in an enclosed space (if possible), but in any case, away from the open (towards the building or tent, for instance)
    - Cover the bonnet area with gunny bags (good heat insulation), such that no area around the engine or oil sump can take the cold directly. You can also use old newspapers for this purpose.
    - park it in a slope if possible
    5. Turn off all accessories when starting the engine in the morning, ideally after the sun is up, and is bathing the engine area.
    6. Cranking up, give ignition in short bursts and avoid long cranking sessions. I have cranked the Scorpio upto 15 times to start up at 630 am in Tso Moriri and 5-10 times in Padum.
    7. You will rarely have to light a fire under the engine, but you may try pouring hotel water over the engine area in case the car stubbornly refuses to start.
    8. Spread out shawls on the seats for increasing the warmth inside the car.
    9. Keep the windows up all the time, the cold can be killing.
    10. Use the heater liberally.
    mchanna and vayfiat like this.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    It's a tight call. Last year we didn't see any hatchbacks or sedans on that route. We saw only a couple of Bolero taxi's apart from trucks.

However, an SX4 did that route sucessfully later last year till Rangdum.
    vayfiat likes this.
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    From May 2014, no permits are required for following regions
    Dah, Hanu Villages, Pangong Tso, Man, Merak, Tso Moriri, Nyoma, Loma Bend, Khardung La, Nubra Valley (up to Panamik), Turtuk, Tyakshi, Digger La, Tangyar (for trekking only)
    vayfiat likes this.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Alternatively, what you can do is park your cars at Kargil Hotel, hire 3-4 Bolero Taxi's, travel from Kargil to Rangdum to Drang Drung and back to Kargil in Taxi's on the same day in the late evening. Again stay overnight at Kargil and leave for Leh next morning.

Yes, No permits required except for Chushul if you want to do Pangong-Man-Merak-Chushul-Tsaga La-Loma-Hanle.
    vayfiat likes this.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @Viny I have mentioned that the information I shared is from archieved HVK data so there will be some changes to it. Thanks for sharing latest information. I am sure that will help us for sure.
  10. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Thank you for the response. This was in my mind - There are three extra days in our schedule, I feel (provided we want to cover Nubra till Panamik, Hanle, Tso Moriri, Pangong routes). We can think of this - however I did not think about covering Kargil-Rangum-Kargil in the same day - won't it be tiring? I was also worried about parking our vehicles in Kargil a day or more. But nonetheless, we should be able to do Kargil-Drang Drung-Kargil in a day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.