1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2014-Punto Emotion-smoke coming out of bonnet

Discussion in 'Technical' started by CarJoker, Mar 5, 2014.

1. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Hi all,
    I got the delivery of Punto emotion(MJD) on 27th Feb. No issue on first two days. On third day, after starting the engine, i saw smoke coming out of bonnet. I switched off the engine, opened the bonnet. It had a smell of burning rubber.Smoke stopped in 3 minutes. i started the car again, no issues. I thought mistake i did was hand brake was on and i drove for 50-60 meteres. I thought this could be the reason for the smoke. But today again, i observed the smoke.This time, hand brake was not on. Again this lasted for 2/3 minutes and then no smoke was observed.Is this normal in new cars ? (while driving, i didn't notice any issue.All brakes/accelarator/climate control/music system were functioning normal.)

What could be the reason ? I have already requested delaer/Fiat on this.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Hand brake engages the rear tyres, right? Then how can smoke come from the bonnet. Instead of testing your luck, get the car checked asap. It could be some wiring issue too, or maybe a not-so-dangerous short circuit. Get it checked.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    As said by fiatlover, have it checked immediately. I don't want to guess anything here. I think Fiat now comes to the doorstep to fix issues for the new car owners. Avail that service.
    2 people like this.
  4. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Check the fluid levels. Maybe there's a leak and the leaking fluid might be evaporating off the pipes as and when the engine heats up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  5. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Thanks fiatlover/Ramjn. I called Fiat Customer care.i have also sent a mail. They have standard reply-Check with dealer/workshop. Doorstep service ? i will check with Fiat.Any links/contacts for Fiat door step service?
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. hotkar

hotkar Timido

get the fluid levels checked. my powersteering fluid was filled above the max mark, it has slipped over and dirtied the engine bay now.
  7. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I had this problem in my Palio because of new Coolant wasn't filled in properly. There was some air trapped in the coolant pipes which can be released by opening Cooolan valves on the pipe. This made engine hot after driving some distance and smoke came out from bonnet. Just verify if its the similar to that.
    Few symptoms of that issues
    1. Temp. gauge in RED region
    2. Engine noise was not smooth. It became louder.
    3. After switching off, it wasn't starting. Same as behavior when battery goes flat.
  8. Anup

Anup Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey @CarJoker,

Is this issue fixed ?
    If not check for the Coolant Tank Cap for any leakes, to do that you will have to borrow it from a different car which has no issues with the cooling system of the car(Radiator).