1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2014 Harley Davidson Sportster SuperLow 883 – XL883L “Scarlett"

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by NishanthNag, Jun 13, 2014.

1. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    2014 Harley Davidson Sportster SuperLow 883 – XL883LScarlett

Let the story begin, here she is “Scarlett” with potato toppings. The hunt was for a budget fixed Harley & there were 4 in the list a SuperLow 883, Iron 883 (XL883N), Roadster (XL883) and Forty-Eight (XL1200X).

Few cosmetic variation & price tag. Though the engine are same for SuperLow 883, Iron 883, but Forty-Eight comes with 1202 cc & priced above the budget & had to drop the plan.

Short listed SuperLow 883 & Iron 883. The main difference between the variants are,

Iron 883:
    Pros: Ground clearance: 126mm, stylish rear fender, Matt finish, inverted RVM
    Cons: Almost 1L+ priced more. Fuel tank capacity of 13L.

SuperLow 883:
    Pros: Stylish over looks, Fuel tank capacity of 17L, Tail lamp
    Cons: Almost 1L less than Iron 883. Ground clearance: 100mm

Driving experience: Wait let me remember … “Yippee, 70 horses between my leg !!! that’s not all, those 70 horses comes with a price !!! Damn 270KG !! wait I haven’t completed – the turning radius is low & the amount of heat that pumps out = you can have a boiled egg if placed between V Twin block. If not a super bike & regular bullet rider, you may feel bit difficult to ride around traffic. Next day took her for a spin to work at 6AM to ITPL ( I stay in JP Nagar, travelling 32kmsx2) was enough to get used to ride. Once the throttle is on & both legs are off ground she feels lite.

Namm Bengalooru Road vs. 100 mm GC: I never complained about my KEMPI (Punto 90HP) GC, but as the HD model name says “Super Low” I go low low low (Super low: Because of the seating position) !!! Gauge the speed breaker, slow her down , if required do the cross horizontal move, if you heavy the bottom scrapes then & now. Though these model are made for more highway than city rides – that shouldn’t worry much.

Center of attraction: Yes, you are !! People chase you, ask you, envy you. Common question: “Yestu mileage”, “Bike Yestu”, “Hosa Enfieldaa?” [“How much mileage”, “How much for the bike”, “Is it new Enfield?”] …
    Most common Q: you could have bought a car for the same price !!

Riding experience:
    City: as mentioned earlier, she is made for highway & less city rides. The engine gets heated up in bumper to bumper traffic (Remember she is Air Cooled not Liquid cooled). Recommended to switch off engine on long traffic signals. Turning radius is less & if there is U-turns you need to take – a long turn makes it easy. No back pain at all, she is simple to ride. I am too early to judge about city riding at the moment.

Highway: She is meant for this & Kewl … to be frank when you are high on speed you hardly can listen to the potato-potato beats. Best part is when you have curve ahead & already you are at 100+ - you will love it. 10/10 on the riding position. Both RVM are crystal clear. Seats are soft.

Gear Thing: “One down All up”, I can relate the Thud sound what Fiat doors make = Harley too has the similar “Dhadh” sound when you shift from Neutral to 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear. Thereafter while on the go, you can still hear a lower “Dhadh” sound for other gears. With traffic 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear at the max 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]. 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear @ RPM 4300+ … She feels lite @ 155KMH – yeah you can get a bit of vibration.

Suspension: Soft on flat roads & speed breakers. Felt bit hard on potholes.

Tyre: Michelin SCORCHER (Made in Spain), Need to be bit cautious while on gravel or sand. Perfect for corner.

Pepper & Salt:
    · Self-cancelling indicators (Left indicator on the left & Right indicator switch on the right)
    · Hazards switch
    · Without Neutral you can start.
    · Head lamps always ON
    · Brake works perfect.
    · Head lamps: 8/10 , high beam 9/10
    · Build quality: Built to last long J
    · Final drive: Belt driven
    · Weight: 287+KG
    · Quality / Gauge of side start: 10/10
    · Dual disk brakes (F/R)

What’s in the MID Console:
    · Trip display (Trip A, Trip B, Total Miles, Gear / RPM, Time)
    · Engine Light (ECU)
    · Low Fuel (switches on when the tank get to < 3 liter fuel
    · Oil pressure
    · Low battery
    · Hazard
    · Turn indicators
    · High beam

Additional accessories:
    · OE Pillion seat
    · HD OE Premium crash guard
    · HD OE Fuel cap with lock
    · HD OE Rear Foot pegs

Miles on ODO: Completed 505KMS as of today

Service Interval: 1[SUP]st[/SUP] (1 month from the Date of Delivery or 500 KMS), 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] (6 months / 5000 KMS)

Noticeable changes between 2013 & 2014 make 883: (AFAIK)
    · The Trip reset was provided below the speedo meter for the 2013 model.
    · Increased in the size of the brake rotors from 292mm to 300mm.
    · Improved all-aluminum integrated rear master cylinder with reservoir.
    · New closed loop exhaust system & lastly gear indicator readout and a tachometer that can be activated by the trip switch.

Official Webpage: 2014 Sportster SuperLow | Motorcycle | Harley-Davidson India

“Scarlett” walk around video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiljuXGw5uY

Finally for your eyes only are few photos ... Maja madee, cheers ...

prabhjot, pra.agar, pv_krish and 15 others like this.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Awesome. Congrats. When I was about to buy a Karizma 10 years back, one mechanic said to my dad, "Uncle buy him a second hand Maruti for the same money". :p So I can relate that to a HD Just that here you could buy a new Vento or Linea. Haha.

Wishing you many happy miles and travelogues. :)
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Harleys are intriguing, but I wasn't so much attracted to them as a Ducati, Aprilia or MV Augusta.

Although I must say, your Harley looks smashing cool.. !

BTW, Currently I am tracking Inazuma which I feel is overpriced.

:p heartsent for our mutual benefit .. !
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Linea T-Jet
    Beautiful Bike, !!!

Happy Riding!!
  5. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Have many happy miles with the awessome harley 883.

Although I would give preference to bullet classic 500, your bike looks really cool!

Enjoy the harley!

6. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Envy you ...thats a smashing bike....what a beauty to have.....happy miles.
  7. extr3mex

extr3mex Amatore

8. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks PaddleShifter :) ... Yeah, but for a change i hear this from neighbors & when i am at traffic signal stop :p
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 24, 2014 ---
    Both are different class. Harley are better cruisers. Ducati, Aprilia or MV Augusta are speedster. Yeam more crome more gloss :) Haven't seen much of Inazume, has it been released yet?
    Yeah, she is Abhishek. Thanks! You too !!
    Thanks SX4enthusiast. I am planning to add Standard 350 or TB may be next year :)
    Ops !! Sanfiat yes she is a head turner :) Thanks, you too happy miles.
    Thanks extr3mex !
    Review: Springs Car Care, Bangalore.

What they deal with: Cars (Exterior & interior, Engine bay), Bike (Above 250cc).

Price: Reasonable

What was done: Tank & Fender Buffed – Swirls removed. PPF (Paint Protection Film) applied on tank.

Time taken: 2.5 to 3 hours (Exclude 1 hour – Scarlett took time to cool down before going for wash).

Was I satisfied with the results? Yes

Would I recommend to other? Yes

Products used: Meguiars (Mirror Glaze) Speed Glaze & Diamond Cut 2.0

What you may like at Springs: people who work on your car or bike have knowledge of products & type of paint (every car or bike paint differs from other). In case the guy detailing ain’t happy about the outcome, he reworks again from the start. If you notice & need more accuracy they are ready to accept & re work. Good parking space.

What I couldn’t get done: Water dry marks on the cast iron engine parts. Springs weren’t sure if they will be able to remove the stains, but I am happy they tried with liquid solution they have, also steam treatment as I requested.

Scarlett had completed her 2nd service on Saturday & had crossed 1K KM mark too. (I shall be sharing second service ownership review soon)

I visited Springs on Monday & Karthik (Owner) sent his guy to my place to check the swirls & other detailing I needed on Scarlett. The Guy checked & confirmed they would be able to fix.

Next day I visited & wanted to get PPF done too. My requirement was just getting the tank swirls removed & get the PPF on tank. But they got the complete bike washed – foamed – wiped “appreciate it” … & I was charged for PPF alone. Due to additional pillion seat there were scuff marks on the rear fender which was removed too.

1. Water wash

2. Foam wash

3. Air pressure clean

4. Fur Buffing using Meguiars (Mirror Glaze) Diamond Cut 2.0

5. Sponge buffing using Meguiars (Mirror Glaze) Speed Glaze

6. Water wash

7. Pressure Air clean

8. Soap water spray

9. PPF applied (3M transparent outline tape was applied surrounding the PPF, which needs to be removed after 2-3 days)

10. Buffing

11. CFC wipe

Will let the Pics do the talk ... Enjoy madee ...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    rishike007, Murphy_Fiat and Ravi like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @NishanthNag, swirl marks in one pic, no so cool. :) You need to protect this baby better, surely you do take efforts. ;)

Do think of this Quartz coating thing here. There maybe alternative products offering better value. Teflon on car as you must know is a myth. Another video of a parallel product here. I think these are bit pricier for a regular car per se but totally worth it.

Last I read they would get Salman Khan to market Inazuma in some film. But sales price was questionable due to various factors. But a good city and highway commuter/sprinter with some agility and great linear power and decent FE which Suzuki always manages well.
  10. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Inazuma if weighed on with the price tag it has, it is a sheer disappointment. I found the design just liek another pulsar or karizma standard. And Karizmas are offered at a much better price and they look good to.