1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Sports suspension roll back to 2011

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Mar 11, 2013.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    [h=1]“For it is said that humans are never satisfied, that you give them one thing and they want something more. And this is said in disparagement, whereas it is one of the greatest talents the species has and one that has made it superior to animals that are satisfied with what they have.”[/h]
  2. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Technically I don't know how the rear struts and anti roll bar are different in pre 2012 and 2012 models, but to me it didn't feel any different.

Another member @sunswape is running on the same setup like mine. In fact after talking to him I took this step and I am happy with the ride now.

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk 2
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Front struts are shorter in old model. Rear struts are the same height but SOFTER. They travel faster, both compression and retraction. Hence, the SOFTER ride. The rear struts have been STIFFENED post 2012. Part numbers are different and you can test them side by side to see the difference. Older rear struts cost more. I will post pictures of all 10 parts, new and old in a day or two. With part numbers.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    7 people like this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

So the ARBs too have different part numbers? :eek: Will wait for your update!
    1 person likes this.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    That's something strange, when I compared the travel of pre-2012 and my 2012 rear struts, I found 2012 to be on softer side.

Yeah, agree with the height difference of front struts but rear struts length remains same :)

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk 2
  6. Here is very good details on suspensions
    Shock absorbers
    These dampen the vertical motion induced by driving your car along a rough surface and so should technically be referred to by their proper name - dampers. If your car only had springs, it would boat and wallow along the road until you got physically sick and had to get out. It would be a travelling deathtrap until the incessant vibration caused it to fall apart.
    Shock absorbers (dampers) perform two functions. As mentioned above, they absorb any larger-than-average bumps in the road so that the upward velocity of the wheel over the bump isn't transmitted to the car chassis. But secondly, they keep the suspension at as full a travel as possible for the given road conditions - they keep your wheels planted on the road.
    You want more technical terms? Technically they are velocity-sensitive hydraulic damping devices - in other words, the faster they move, the more resistance there is to that movement. They work in conjunction with the springs. The spring allows the wheel to follow the road, moving up and down.

Read more: Car Bibles : The Car Suspension Bible page 1 of 5

Please corelate the soft vs hard suspension and ride quality difference.
    1 person likes this.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

So, a day or two have still not passed? ;)
    1 person likes this.
  8. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Any update on this

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Relativity has gone into hibernation. :p

My car is running absolutely fine with just the 4 struts changed and with existing 2012 ARB. Just yesterday while tackling Bangalore's craters, my dad mentioned that the suspension is now much better.

I have no issues with high speed handling either. The car sticks to the road like a leech. And I am loving the ride quality though the car is still on stock OE Good Year GT3s, which are rock hard tyres.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    What I felt after rollback was the speeds are more masked now and driving confidence is much higher. Earlier on the New GC set up and with my 32/30 psi combo, i used to feel the car wiggle at high speeds. That is gone now. There is clearly something exclusive of the original dynamic that Fiat shouldnt meddle with.

Abdul
    2 people like this.