1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Sports suspension roll back to 2011

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Where did you do the old GC?

It is a simple job which costed Rs.9k including parts, labor and taxes. See Driv3R's update.
  2. Rear dampeners are same with 2011 as 2012 so also the anti-roll bar, only thing needs change to down to old GC is front two struts.
    This was confirmed by Imranshks.cost would be less than 5 k for parts.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Total Cost including Labor is 13.7K. Labor is about 2.5 K
    Interestingly, the older struts cost twice as much as the ones that come on the new Punto. If I remember it correctly, the stiff ones are 1400 each while the soft ones are 2700 each :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

That is so wrong. This is what I don't like about the Fiat scene in India - so much misinformation about a simple thing. All the 5 parts are different, part numbers are different and you can compare and test the travel time on both struts while changing.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    2 people like this.
  5. That is so wrong!!

Whoa, hold on before saying wrong.
    travel time !!! dampener travel length is what is considered, under load travel time wouldn't matter much.
    Again I have two extra 20+ struts with me(picked up OTR at KHT) , it's travel time is different than what is installed in my car.I just gave them to Tfie'n Vithal to install in his car.
    Antiroll bar is same as pre 2012, I don't know whether to trust my eye on how the anti roll bar looks or part number!!
    Imarn is driving with MM rear dampeners and my cars old front struts.
  6. kb10

kb10 Amatore

Pune
    on the same lines,mine is 2013 punto and recently I observed that front left side of the bottom scrapped few times on bumps and potholes.This happened when we had co passenger sitting in the front or say 4 people sitting in total.This did not happen when I was alone along the same stretch of road with same bump.
    any similar experiences or what could be the reason?

BTW mine is petrol so the GC is 195mm!!
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Let me clear the air with what I know.

Anti-roll bar is the same. Part numbers are the same.

And the anti-roll bar was sold as a package with the struts when a old GC car had to be updated to the new GC.

The pre 2012 struts cost 7k in parts, the rest should be labour. If you are investing on a new ARB, it's just unwanted investment IMHO.

And why would power steering oil leak due to GC change? :eek:

@sat: Pre 2012 rear dampers cost more than 2012 dampers. And part numbers are different. :)
  8. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Relativity,
    can you tell us what is the make of those four pre2012 struts that you got? Those Magneti Marelli - Copaf or something else?

at Pune, FASS doesnot have all the struts in stock currently. So I gotta wait.
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    I have an email from Fiat that all 4 struts and the anti roll bar specs are different in both models. The tensile strength of the anti roll bar in both suspension set ups is different.
    All the 4 struts with increased GC have "+20" written on them. Part numbers for all the 4 struts and the ARB are different. Power Steering Oil was drained while changing the ARB. All this was done under guidance from the only guy I trust my Fiat with - Mr. Tensingh at RDC Fiat.

I have pictures of the parts and part numbers - that I can share later.
  10. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

99rpm also has different part numbers for struts at the back. I remember talking to Imran when he told me about +20 written on 2012 struts at the back.
    Fiat Genuine rear suspension for Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 multijet diesel varients

- - - Merged Post - - -

99rpm also has different part numbers for struts at the back. I remember talking to Imran when he told me about +20 written on 2012 struts at the back.
    http://www.99rpm.com/rear-suspension-punto-1-3mjd.html