1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Sports suspension roll back to 2011

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Mar 11, 2013.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @PatchyBoy I too was referring to body roll and not pitch.

Anyway, I am planning to go on a road trip to coorg sometime soon. That would be the real test of the body roll indeed :p

Cheers :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  2. You are misunderstanding the whole point buddy...by driving in ghat section you will hardly understand the difference...driving on curves on NH will give you the real idea...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. The difference between the two suspension setup is not soo extreme according to me...car bouncing on expressway is news to me, if that is really the case please get the car checked asap, there might be some serious problem

1 person likes this.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @wolverine_arnab Let me explain and please correct me if am wrong, in city even at the speed of 50 km/hr when i take a u turn on my santro, it scares hell out of me as if the car is going to topple, thats what you call body roll , correct ?

The car pitching, thats due to soft suspension setup, driven Verna Fluidic, i20, Vento etc.. these suspensions are way too bouncy which instead of giving you comfort rather discomfort you all time :D

Ghat sections would be the best places to test whether your car has evident body roll or not.

About 2012 and 2011 suspension, you are absolutely right. There is no such drastic difference in both, its very minute difference in sharp footed behaviour, 2011 seemed subtle due to low GC and 2012 seems a little different when compared.

Overall, i felt the ride comfort in my Punto 90HP 2013 is just superb when compared to its competitors boss ;)
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Nothing needs to be checked. I have discussed this to death with one of the Fiat experts at FASS, Chennai and the conclusion is the same.

Even I did not make out the differences in comfort between the two until I drove them back to back on long drives, consisting of highways and city roads. Just a short spin within the city, not happening.

Every time I go over the speed breakers within my office, at the same speeds, I feel the 2011 to be much plusher and friendly to my back. This is my opinion and people are free to disagree while I stand by it.
  6. @DRIV3R, opinions vary, and to be frank I drove the old punto quiet a bit on the highway to know the difference..obviously the suspensions are different, but not to that extent where the car bounces on the expressway..

7. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    So @driv3r your suggestion is to go back to 2011 suspension. And you think the difference is more than 30 % between both in terms of handling and ride, as well as high speed dynamics. Please correct me if I'm wrong here

Sent from my Xperia Mini Pro using Tapatalk 2
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I am not sure if I can put it into a metric, buddy. I personally prefer the pre 2012 suspension though I scraped a couple of times on the same roads in the initial days as i used to carry the same speed on both cars. But now, I have learnt to slow down when on the 2011 car.

My suggestion would be to drive both cars back to back and take call based on your requirement. You can TD my car sometime when am in BLR, else check with your friends or the dealerships, I doubt if dealerships would have them though as all of them have new 2012 cars now.
  9. Seriously buddy??? U wanted to take a u turn at 50kmph??? How?? Where?? To be frank I never try all these stunts so I am not sure...
    When you drive on highway and take sharp corners at decent speed and car feels planted and not give you the scary feel will help to understand if it is present in your car or not

10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I dint mean a complete U turn over the divider or so, but kind of sharp /steep turns towards left of right, you tend to lack confidence on santro due to its tallboy design.

It feels as if the car might lose composure and topple.

And that's exactly what you call body roll. Hope am right ?

Anyway, I shall test it in my car sometime soon.

I am very sane driver too and never perform stunts :)

Thanks.

P.S Apologies, am a pathetic writer and my way of expressing things is real bad and things might seem way to exaggerating. :banghead:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2