1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Sports suspension roll back to 2011

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I haven't driven 2012/2013 Punto yet. But, I did drive the Linea soon after the launch in 2012. I couldn't find much of the difference with respect to handling after the GC increase. Again, I am still hesitant to do the GC upgrade for my Linea. Reasons -

- I feel Linea looks more elegant with lower GC.
    - I don't want to compromise even a bit on Handling and Ride after the upgrade.
    - I have driven in all sorts of terrains in South India with 161mm GC and I was able to manage it.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I drove my Punto 90HP 2013 on electronic city flyover last night. Just to test the high speed behavior of the car.

I had a gut feeling the increased GC might affect the handling, but the moment I floored the pedal to metal, the vehicle started pulling neatly and co passengers on board were like "Wow, you don't even feel you are at 155 km/hr" and I was smiling with all joy..

The vehicle was planted and felt as if it was railed to the road. I am happy with the increased GC and can confidently say, this suspension setup is an all rounder and shall never disappoint one ;)

Cheers :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  3. The increased ground clearance did increase the body roll to an extent.i liked the previous low suspension setup, the car felt more planted on the road..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I drove it in a straight line and the body roll was almost zero... Agree 2011 suspension is better but 2012 isn't bad either :)

5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

After driving the 2011 and 2012 Puntos back to back and extensively for thousands of kms, I dare say that the 2011 is the winner with regards to comfort, ride quality and handling. The 2012 trumps it only in the GC department but falls low in other parameters.

My mom did not even complain when we did Neyveli - Kumbakonam on the 2011 90HP but she and all other co passengers started complaining when we did Neyveli - Tindivanam in the 2012 on much better tolled expressways. The car was bouncing and pitching around and I was embarrassed, especially when mom said, see this is why we should have got the Manza!

Maybe the GT3 s too take credit for the harsher ride, but no Thank you, 2012 suspension upgrade.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    If the body roll is almost zero in straight line, that is simply unacceptable. It has to be ZERO. Body roll comes into play only when one is not driving in a straight line.

Rajan
  7. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @DRIV3R yeah, harsher ride quality might be due to Goodyear GT3 but I find them to be taking corners at high speeds pretty easily. Agree, it might not be as good as pre 2012 models but definitely not as bad as you guys are commenting it to be :)

Manza ? I took my parents on a test drive on Manza and my dad said "This isn't even a car, we aren't buying a TATA" :D

I feel that the suspension setup in post 2012 is much suited for Indian roads considering the huge speed breakers and potholes equivalent to craters !!!

@PatchyBoy if you are aware about the electronic city elevated flyover, it isn't completely straight line like an express highway, it has slight curves on which I never slowed down. And the vehicle still seemed railed. Also while switching the lanes, there was no sign of body roll at all. I have cornered the car at the speed of 80-90 kmph many times and still there was no sign of body roll to me :)

I have driven i20 and swift on the same elevated flyover and trust me, both vehicles never made me feel comfortable above 120 kmph of speed. There was lack of confidence all the time.

These comments are totally based on my experience, am happy with the overall package provided by 2013 Punto 90HP.

Cheers :)

8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I am quite familiar with BETL and used to drive on it every single day, till my company moved to Whitefield. You initial post was not very clear and spoke about driving in a straight line with almost zero body roll. My response was mostly aimed at members from other cities, who probably have never even seen, leave alone driving, on the BETL and misunderstand that you are referring to pitch as body roll. Thanks for clarifying for us.

Rajan

PS: I have driven my humble 1.1 Palio Stile SLX at speeds in excess of 100 on BETL, with no body roll or pitch. It is evidently clear that FIAT knows how to build stable cars. It is unfortunate that our roads are in such a sad state that FIAT had to tweak the GC and compromise on stability a bit.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

@imranshks : Buddy, I strongly recommend you drive a pre-2012 Punto sometime and then comment on your experience. Agreed that the newer ones are also good when compared with the competition. Cheers!
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Yup.. I have driven it in city but never got a chance to take it out on a highway.

Will surely try it in case I get a chance :)