1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Sports suspension roll back to 2011

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Mar 11, 2013.

1. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Even I am/was in the same dilemma. My only concern about my 2012 Punto is that, the ride is bumpy/bouncy/harsh till 30-40 km/h and my co-passengers complain about it; as if the shocks are not getting absorbed but transmitted to the cabin. I have driven my colleague's 2010 Punto and the ride is butter smooth; it is just fantastic! Regarding bodyroll, both preupgrade and postupgrade cars have very little difference. The composure at the speeds that our highways allow us to drive is fantastic in both.

During recently held TFI Pune B'fast meet, Italia-Linea and AmitP helped me (thanks guys) by test driving my Punto to understand if it was a real concern that I am looking at.
    Some amount of discussion is happening at this link http://www.teamfiat.co.in/minor-issues-questions/9109-how-reduce-body-roll-2012-linea.html
    Above link will help you understand changes to 2012 suspension as explained by TFI members.

If GC is not a concern you may want to opt for pre2012 suspension provided your concern is only the harsher ride.

Note: 2012 suspension are definitely not a joke. I drive an i20 crdi also, there is no better example for bodyroll demonstration ;)

---
    But yea you have got definitely good point for disucssion. another difference between the two suspensions is, the pre2012 Punto (and Linea) look more beautiful as the wheel well is filled up nicely; in my opinion.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    6 people like this.
  2. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Mostly 90% of the time my drive is on highways, With 4 or 5 people on board, There are one or two speed breakers which used to scrape my Earlier Figo TDCI. Not sure how this would be relevant to Punto here.
  3. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Thanks a lot for all you guys for your input, But the basic question remains same, If there is any difference in handling to what extent? , If the difference is around 5 to 10% as suggested by a member here, I don't think I would opt for the same.
    But if the difference is around 20 to 30% in ride and handling and high speed dynamics, Then I would opt for the older setup. Can anyone else who has opted for the change in suspension from 2011 to 2012 with higher GC confirm if He feels the same ( Difference in Ride and Handling and high speed manner is only 5 to 10% not very substantial ). ?

Sorry guys but I want to be dead sure before I invest it in this upgrade.
  4. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    Irrespective of what people say about the the GC kit, i have a plan to install it in my 1.3EPGP. I never throw my car at corners with high speed neither i driver her at insane speed over broken roads. To me the pros are more than cons!!! Buddy you don't need to spend money on something which is really not required if your driving style donesnt demand it.

Still if you want to change your suspensions to previous one..and give away GC kit ..do let me know:wink: hahaha infact there will be many takers for it..no doubt about it..

- - - Merged Post - - -

on a lighter note This will be a downgrade...and not upgrade:evilsmile
    1 person likes this.
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I mean to say Pre-2012 setup is good for Highway + city runs - But if you drive in rural roads - you should be clever driver .
    I think no need to of changing GC Kit for you. Punto differentiates other hatch backs on Ride & handling ( suspension plays vital role ). So no worries here. With 185mm GC i bet u wont get scrapped even in most worst roads.
    P.S - Dont worry you have best all round hatch comparing with it's comptemporaries :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Oh man.. This is adding more to my confusion :)

Ah.. You got me there mate :) , Yes it's downgrade.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks sir, And I believe the same that I have the best all rounder. After owning/driving 5 most popular hatchbacks extensively :). I still feel Punto is the best, But only these people putting keeda (worm ) in my head.
    3 people like this.
  7. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    If all these things adds to your confusion. Then do one thing check with any of your friend or TFIAN who has pre-2012 punto and test both the cars yourself on similar road conditions. That's the best thing you can do buddy :ugeek:.
    2 people like this.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I have driven not 2011 Punto and my 2013 90HP back to back just to find the difference in suspension of both. Here are my bits:

1. 2011 suspension seems to be great at lower speeds (30-40 km/h) and is same even at triple digit speeds. increased GC on my 90HP seems to be hard and bouncy at lower speeds but gets better (not as good as 2011) as speed increases.

2. Handling, though there is a bit of a difference in both the cars, the difference isn't really huge, my car rides and handles well too.

3. When i drove alone, 2011 punto was pretty stable on undulated / uneven roads but my 90HP seemed a bit bouncy on the same roads.

I haven't really pushed my car to limits yet, soon i must be able to tell you how my car behaves at triple digit speeds.

Overall, the increased GC lets you drive your car with a peace of mind of not getting its underbelly scraped on the mighty speed breakers :D

My suggestion, dont roll back to the older suspension and downgrade !!

cheers
    4 people like this.
  9. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    I have tried it, have driven it at 145Kmph and It feels a bit bouncy, When I say bouncy, Not at the alarming levels such that It scares you, But it's there nonetheless. Have not tried above 80 on 2011 , As the TD what I did was on the ORR Bangalore and It had a dense traffic.

Thanks for your suggestions. Really appreciate it.

- - - Merged Post - - -

This is the major problem, I don't have anyone who has a Punto 2011 ( Most of them are 2012 ), Let me check If I can check with the Show room if they could arrange a 2011 Punto for a TD. Thanks for the suggestions
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    2012 suspension is really good a bit harsh when speed is slow but almost same at high speeds. Haven't felt much change in handling as good as old one that came on my 2009 Linea, I am really happy I upgraded to 2012 suspension have not touched once even on worst of roads with car fully loaded. Car usage have actually doubled after GC Kit earlier where we used to fear taking the car on broken roads now we take it on any kind of road without any tention in our mind.

Stay with 2012 suspension.
    2 people like this.