1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Sports suspension roll back to 2011

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Mar 11, 2013.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    The best suspension that Punto had is cofap made in Brazil.

Sadly I don't know how to source a brand new one, so got in touch with JK automobile JC road and purchased a painted/used/ I don't know what.

Installed these on my Punto replacing the 2012 suspension at the rear. There was a drastic difference now, even on the most undulating roads the car's rear is planted all the time.

At the front I have endurance make 2011 suspension, and that's not as pliant as the cofap one at the rear. Of course the front struts are made in India.

Posting some pics.

3ese8eqa.jpg

gegy9e6a.jpg

Comparison of 2012 and 2011 rear struts.

etaqedy7.jpg

Out of the 2 struts one is not making weird sounds during action, so getting it replaced and hoping I get the same by end of this week.

If anyone knows a source to get front 2 struts of cofap make and made in Brazil , appreciate your help :thumbup:

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. The old suspension setup was best, wish we had adjustable suspension, not like the ones that come in high end cars but a mechanical adjustable one.
    Though I want the old suspension, excellent drivability on highway post 150 and good cornering aswell, only drawback in no roads and bad roads it becomes painful..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ranjith Mohan

Ranjith Mohan

Cochin
    Hi Guys,

I am facing the same problem of bouncy ride in my new punto. Just 200 Kms run. I had a Palio and the ride was butter smooth. That was the prime reason to upgrade to a Punto. But now I am really disappointed. Will you suggest a roll back to Pre 2102 suspension set up with low GC? I need to take a call and need support from you guys.

Thanks in advance.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    You can't compare Palio to a Post 2012 Punto, Palio is miles ahead in terms of steering, handling and ride when compared to Punto.

I would suggest, Go to the nearest service center and check, of what make your suspension is. It could have Endurance and Cofap logo, or it could have a Magneti Marelli and Cofap logo.

The one with Magneti Marelli and cofap logo is the best you can get for a Punto (of course made in Brazil or made in Poland is a class apart but you won't be able to source it now). Few of us have faced issues with Endurance and Cofap struts and are now happy after replacing it to Magneti Marelli and cofap.

Check on this and get the struts replaced under warranty and you should be good to go. If you are still not satisfied, then you think of lowering the GC and rolling back to 2011 struts.

P.S. Just ensure Magneti Marelli struts are installed, be it Raised or Low GC.

Cheers :thumbup:

9a3a5u6y.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ranjith Mohan

Ranjith Mohan

Cochin
    Thanks Imran. Yes I did go through the link you sent. Been on this for the last few days as I am feeling so low with this ride quality. Fought with family to change the Palio and now I am stuck with this. Hope you know that feeling.

Sad to know I let my Palio go which was way better.

Anyway coming to this. So I can go to an ASS and ask for Magneti Marelli and cofap struts? No need to change anything else? How about the old ARB? Does it make any difference?

Thanks again.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I can totally understand, I have been through it mate.

Just ask the ASS guys to change the struts to MM and cofap make, in case your vehicle has got Endurance make struts already. Usually, the service center guys wouldn't be having much idea, so you will have to visually inspect the logo on the struts and get the right make of struts installed on your car.

Strut is nothing but part of suspension. Strut, elastic pads, bump stop and springs etc together form a suspension setup.

I am sure after changing the struts, you will fall in love with your car. Good news is, FIAT has stopped sourcing Endurance make struts lately. Aadya motors, Bangalore FIAT service centers already has 2013 make MM struts in stock, got a call recently confirming the same.

Good luck :thumbup:

7. Ranjith Mohan

Ranjith Mohan

Cochin
    Thanks mate. Will check on this and revert. I am sure there might be many more who are looking for a solution. Don't want people to hate Fiat because of this.
  8. Ranjith Mohan

Ranjith Mohan

Cochin
    Hi Imran,

Did check with the show room and the service manager said, these days the struts are from MM and he couldn't find endurance one on any new punto. Also he said that there is only one part number available in their order system, that is for MM. Though I haven't taken the car to showroom yet. But now I don't know what kind of an explanation i will get from them.

Thanks
  9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    That's why I said, you will have to visually inspect the struts installed on your car. Unless and until you see whats there, you wouldn't know.

Few days back , someone from FIAT called me and said "Magneti Marelli" is no more available, only endurance make is available". He also said MM has taken over endurance company which was something hard to digest.

I guess the part numbers won't be different for Endurance and MM struts, it would only differ for raised GC or Low GC.

Take your car to SC and get the struts make checked before you go ahead with troubleshooting.

10. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

@Ranjith_Mohan, good news that the struts these days are MM and not Endurance :). There will be three part numbers, one for each front strut and one for the rear pair. Tell them you are not happy with the ride quality; take them on a longish test drive, put your word across firmly how painful it is ( if needed write to Mangesh Kodalkar). As Imran suggested, they should change it under warranty and you will need only four struts to be replaced, no ARB or bump stops needed.

Part numbers are not going to be different for Endurance or MM. At the moment you can check the part numbers/price details are 99rpm website.

Ofcourse before that get the current make of struts checked.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013