1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

2012 Punto Sports suspension roll back to 2011

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Mar 11, 2013.

1. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    I have a Grande Punto Sports 1.3 Mjd 2012 model ( Comes with 2012 Heightened GC ) . The other forum in which I am a member of, says 2012 Suspension is a joke and 2011 it was better in terms of handling and ride quality. On this I have checked with the FIAT SA and he confirmed me that I can go back to 2011 suspension setup for 15 Ks. I would appreciate if you guys could help me decide whether to roll back or not by answering these questions.

1) Is 2011 Suspension setup has a very low ground clearance ?, As bad as Figo Diesel ?.
    2) Is 2011 suspension handles alot better than 2012 ?. Please confirm.
    3) Is 2011 Suspension High speed stability ( at 140+ ) way better than 2012 ?
    4) What are the changes done on 2012 suspension as opposed to 2011 suspension ?

Your invaluable input might help me to make my decision. tagging few knowledgeable people to start with @italia-linea , @gurjinder, @ravi ,

Thanks and Regards,
    Manjunath
    Pointed and Relativity like this.
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Good question. I will join the bandwagon as I am in the same dilemma.
    1 person likes this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just do not go by words. Due to basic law of gravity, 2011 Puntos with lower height will have lesser body roll. But FIAT has done a appreciable job to increase the GC,yet maintain the handling capabilities to decent levels. If you are really so keen, test drive a 2011 Punto & your Punto back to back on similar stretch of road to conclude that it warrants a roll back and its worth the time & money spent.

As a matter of fact, many on TFI have upgraded their suspensions with GC kits and are enjoying the higher GC.
    3 people like this.
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After using the old suspension for 48k kms and the new increased GC one for 10k, I don't find much of a difference except that there is increased body roll when pushed to the limit, the ride has become soft hence more bounce on bumpy roads at high speeds so that takes away the handling fun a little bit and also some confidence.
    The new kit is totally worth the money but either ways you cannot go wrong. So use the current one for as long as it goes and then decide if you wish to switch back too the older suspension.
    I personally found the older one to be more suited to my driving, hence after these ones are used up will switch back to the older setup with lowered GC.

Waheguru Waheguru
    Pointed, prihir, Ravi and 2 others like this.
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    It's not right to say that 2012 suspension is a joke.

I've a 2009 Linea and upgraded the suspension to the new one in Jun'12. Is there a difference in Ride and Handling? Yes, there is a difference but I felt it's very small. How do we measure it? say about 5% to 10% difference? It doesn't make ride as bumpy or does not result in body roll etc.

On the other hand, after upgrading to new suspension kit, my Linea bottom never scraped, not even on the steepest of bumps. NEVER. The earlier one used to scrap every now and then & I had to be always cautious and wary on driving on such roads.

However, if you do not have an issue of bottom scraping, the old suspension is good. If GC is an issue, the new suspension is not bad in Ride and Handling.
    2 people like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes.if you are driving down in rural roads or state highway roads or undulated roads the bottom scraps very badly but no damage.if damage is there you know well what happens ;)

You have not mention the reason behind the suspension set up change ? what are your findings in 2012 set-up ?

Mine is 2011 punto,i was fed up off with bottm scrapping ,hence recently changed the tire profile to 195/65/R15 and i will tell you that for me 3 or 4 mm also is doing more.No scrapping on my regular undulated roads.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even after GC increase the ride and handling is way ahead of competition, don't spend 15K on this, spend somewhere else.
    4 people like this.
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As Ganges pointed, Take a call based on Conditions of Road you drive. If you drive in rural roads, suspension upgrade is highly mandatory. Even i feel lot of times to switch to new GC.
    For city drive and highways..previous set up is bliss to drive.
    1 person likes this.
  9. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Thanks for the reply.

2012 setup my findings :- Yes there is some body roll when I hit the corner too fast, But surely not an issue at 80/90 Kmph, And I don't scrape anything :) . Not really sure If I really need to go back to 2011 set up. But that's what the other forum suggested me, and other people as well.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    its hard to comment on body roll on indian roads,rather i would say FIAT cars have good steering feedback you can sense your road path.
    Try the same on Ford Figo the cornering @80/90 Kmph you will feel like you are been thrown out of the car.
    15K is a big amount spare it,you have brake pads,tire change in pipeline :D
    1 person likes this.